• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
But, but, but. why are they signing players when they won't be around next year and Victoria has no grassroots Rugby or player pathways and they only got minus 2 billion at the Wallabies game yesterday? I'm so confused. Could social media be, cough, lying?

fce0574c229577316445aa3668c79b28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

Leo86

But, but, but. why are they signing players when they won't be around next year and Victoria has no grassroots Rugby or player pathways and they only got minus 2 billion at the Wallabies game yesterday? I'm so confused. Could social media be, cough, lying?

Id like to think coz RugbyWA and VRU didnt bend over like the ARU and its shaping up to be 5 teams remaining.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Good player, hopefully we get Louwrens or Lucas.

Then our 3 halfbacks are two senior guys pressuring for a start, and a young guy that will realistically spend part of 2018 with Aus 20s but will pick up some minutes.

This, for me, is the only was Stirzaker will reach his potential.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Looks like we will be looking for a new coach. Dumper to be "dumped" if we believe Wayne Smith.

Might explain why Morgs was at the ARU coaches summit on Tuesday, the only assistant to attend (from what I could see.

It is understood that Melbourne Rebels head coach Tony McGahan has come to terms with the club and will be moving on at the end of the Super Rugby season.

McGahan refused to comment when contacted last night but sources close to the Rebels indicate that he was worn down by the Australian Rugby Union’s drawn-out process of deciding which team, the Rebels or the Western Force, would be forced out of the competition this season.

The uncertainty about the future has affected everyone at the club, players, staff and coaches, but as the head coach McGahan had to carry the burden of putting on a brave face and trying to get his footballers focusing purely on the rugby.

It did not help, though, that the Rebels have been hit by a disastrous injury toll and several times this season have been forced to delve into club rugby to find players to fill their bench and, in the case of Will Miller and Hugh Sinclair, spots in their starting side.

The Rebels looked to be setting themselves up for great things when they strung together seven wins in the 2015 and 2016 seasons but, even following the recruitment of rugby league star Marika Koroibete, they have battled to make an impression on this year’s Super Rugby.

Saddled with a draw that pitted them against four New Zealand teams in their first five matches, they have struggled right from the start. Perhaps had they won their other game in that sequence, against the Waratahs, they might have turned things around but after leading by 19 points at halftime, they were overhauled in the final play of the match as NSW escaped with a 32-25 victory.

It is not known what coaching role McGahan, who hails from Queensland, will move onto but certainly he is highly respected in Europe, having coached Munster to the grand final of the 2010-11 Celtic League against Leinster. He was, as well, director of coaching when Munster beat Robbie Deans’ 2010 Wallabies in a tour match at Limerick, a performance that helped secure him a place on Deans’ coaching staff as defence coach in 2012.

It will not be easy replacing a coach of “Dumper” McGahan’s stature but it is understood that if the Force are culled by the ARU, the Rebels will move strongly to recruit the current Perth coach, Dave Wessels. That might, indeed, be the best result by far for Australian rugby since the Rebels have already signed nine Force players conditional on the WA franchise losing its Super Rugby status.

Article link:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...n/news-story/e2c6d2b4e696927f2cb5e210f6ed7a88

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is Not At All Shocked and 10 is Really Shocked, I'd go with maybe a 2.

I'd be a 1.

I can't see this being anything other than our worst season. Yes, there have been things out of our control but Tony is responsible for the overall performance.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'd be a 1.

I can't see this being anything other than our worst season. Yes, there have been things out of our control but Tony is responsible for the overall performance.
I agree, but went with a 2 because anything is possible - hey, the Reds kept Richard Graham on for the start of 2016 when everyone else thought otherwise!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The framing of the article is what's interesting, he doesn't sound 'pushed out'. Then again, it's just an article.

I think he'd get an excellent posting in Japan or Europe for much more money. The tough thing for him is I'd imagine he'd want to raise his young kids in Australia.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
The new CEO said there would have to be big changes done on both the roster and in staff positions. Wouldn't be surprised if they let him leave seemingly of his own accord then cut him at seasons end. Pretty standard professional practice at that level

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The new CEO said there would have to be big changes done on both the roster and in staff positions. Wouldn't be surprised if they let him leave seemingly of his own accord then cut him at seasons end. Pretty standard professional practice at that level
I find it interesting that both teams have not annouced any resignings. Rebels have announced 3 new signings but no body has been resigned.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The framing of the article is what's interesting, he doesn't sound 'pushed out'. Then again, it's just an article.

I think he'd get an excellent posting in Japan or Europe for much more money. The tough thing for him is I'd imagine he'd want to raise his young kids in Australia.
No, he doesn't sound pushed out, but having seen this in other industries, this is a face-saving agreement. TT can say it's his decision so it is easier for him to find other work - if he is outright sacked other teams would be less willing to pick him up.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I reckon Dumper has given it his best crack but it's definitely time to move on and try someone new.

Good luck with future projects, TT.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Not surprised or particularly saddened.

Tony really added nothing to our strategy or style of play. For an allegedly defensively-minded coach, that was disappointing.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I find it interesting that both teams have not annouced any resignings. Rebels have announced 3 new signings but no body has been resigned.

Stephenson mentioned the other day that 80% of the list was sorted. They will probably drip-feed the signing news rather than make a big announcement.

I doubt there will be much news about players not re-signed until after the situation with the Force is sorted.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
When you look at results, TT had the worst against NZ teams. Even Hill managed more wins against the Kiwi sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.