• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Plenty of guys to add to off contract list (unless they have re-signed and I don't know about it):
Mick Snowden, Dom Shipperley, Harley Fox, Tim Metcher, Tom Moloney and Jordan Uelese. Plus Sinclair and Miller, although given they are on short term contracts not sure if they should be included.

refugee

Sydney Middleton (9)
The case against the ARU - Ruining my business / closing my business.

Take your pick

A disgrace by the ARU

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Another click bait piece of news with no proof to back it up.

Fucking over it, make a decision and announce it. May as well start all the legal battles now so hopefully it's all over by the start of season 2019

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Fucking over it, make a decision and announce it. May as well start all the legal battles now so hopefully it's all over by the start of season 2019
The Rebels could argue they are making room for incoming Force players when the decision is made. Hey, Fox can make these claims, so can I!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Get with te script, team:
1. article published by FoxSports, although I note it's written by an AAP journalist.
2. Rebels fans become enraged/irate at the lack of signing progress, furiously tweet / FB @MelbourneRebels looking for answers/action.
3. Melbourne Rebels announce a slew of signings, making everyone happy, and sticking to the script.

So, get tweeting / Facebooking lads!

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

What a non news article.

1 guy leaves to be closer to his kid. 1 leaves because the ARU won't pay him enough and 2 leave because they haven't been really chosen to be part of the starting line up - unless there are injuries

Oh and the coach is leaving because we only won 1 game all year

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So, despite the shenanigans from our western AAP reporter, some good news from a Herald-sun Journalist Matt Windley

(fuck, I need to take a long shower after saying 'journalist' and 'herald-sun' in the same sentence).

Anyway, the stuff we knew, although seems more definitive about Toby.

Wallabies prop Toby Smith will join the Wellington Hurricanes, centre Mitch Inman has signed with French club Oyonnax and utility back Jack Debreczeni is likely to depart for Japanese club Honda Heat.

Coach Tony McGahan will not return next season, while inspirational loose forward Sean McMahon is also set to head to Japan.

But, some good news, something I didn't expect.

But it is understood that No. 8 Amanaki Mafi — a shining light of 2017 — is on the verge of re-signing, while negotiations with captain Nic Stirzaker and forwards James Hanson, Steve Cummins and local product Fereti Sa’aga are well advanced.

THAT would be a bloody good re-signing.

And in case the message hasn't got through to people.

With owner Andrew Cox saying he will refuse any ARU overtures to buy back the Rebels licence, Rebels players and officials are confident their club will survive the chop.

And, for plans to fill the gaps...

And indeed if they do play on next season, the Rebels should have plenty room to move within its squad to be able to attract top talent once a decision on the Super Rugby make-up is made.

“There are some experienced guys that we are talking to,” Stephenson said.

Love to know who these experienced guys are.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
And, Uncle Wayne from the OZ has been at it again. This time with rumoured resignation and AMEX card recalls.

And, our favourite, the ARU attempting to buy the Rebels licence back from Coxy, who happens to be overseas. Looks like the cancellation of mediation correlates to Andrew selling the licence. Hmm, yeh let's ignore all the press releases and public decelerations he has made.

But it is clear that the strain has been felt across a much wider front. One of the club’s best administrators, Steve Mitchell, the general manager (commercial), is understood to have submitted his resignation, so too the highly-regarded head of performance Damian Mednis, while two of the club’s senior Wallabies, Sean McMahon and Toby Smith, both are believed to be heading overseas, McMahon to Japan, Smith to the Hurricanes. More worrying still, the American Express cards of senior staff were recalled by the club earlier this week, ramping up stress levels.

It was understood that the first mediation session between the Rebels and the ARU was to have been held today but has been cancelled. Rebels owner Andrew Cox has launched legal action against the ARU claiming millions of dollars in damages stemming from the campaign to reduce Australia’s Super Rugby presence.

The mediation conference was to have been the opening step in that process. Instead, it is believed the two parties will continue with their ongoing talks — presumably to determine whether the national body is able to buy the Rebels from Cox and close the team down, an outcome Cox has several times stated will not happen.

Cox is believed to be in the United States on business.

Oh, and we're "gifting" Dumper McGahan back to QLD.

Queensland are understood to have pulled off a major coup by recruiting Melbourne Rebels head coach Tony McGahan as a coaching support for Reds boss Nick Stiles in Super Rugby.

*grins*

Link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/65939e7a9356a1530ea9c69ee04872b7

B

BLR

Why is Cox in the US while mediation was supposed to be happening? I am clearly out of the loop because surely this is more important?

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Queensland have pulled off a major coup in recruiting Tony McGahan. Ha ha ha, thanks Tim for providing me with a laugh on a Friday morning.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Why is Cox in the US while mediation was supposed to be happening? I am clearly out of the loop because surely this is more important?
Even used car salesmen make sure there's always a boss out the back for giving permission to accept offers. You don't do it at the table

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Cause he has given up trying to deal with the useless ARU. The time wasting knowing the issue is not going to be resolved.

Notice the Rebels are training at a school while this is all going on.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
A very bold piece from Roy Ward. Stitches in a few other articles, but adds in some extra elements.

"We have definitely got 80 per cent [of our 2018 side] lined up," Stephenson said.

"We will have a competitive squad next year and we do have to regenerate our squad on a number of fronts.

"There are four Super Rugby licences and we have one of them. Andrew Cox has said he won't sell the Rebels licence so I think we are in a pretty strong position."

And this, if the Force gets the chop. Also interesting; leading players from the Tahs, Brumbies or Reds.

It's likely the Rebels will receive several players from the Force, which again is not an announcement that can be made until the ARU confirms its plans.

The Rebels are understood to have re-signed four leading players and a number of players from other clubs but they cannot reveal who those players are until they have finished their season or have announced their intention to leave.

So all in all, positive things ahead. Glad we have 80% of the squad locked in. Wouldn't hurt to showcase it a little more.

Link: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-unio...their-super-rugby-future-20170629-gx1g4q.html

Status
Not open for further replies.