• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I have to say, that unlike TT, Wessels had the respect of his players and they played with their heart. If he could bring that to Melbourne we would be unstoppable.

I thought Wessels did amazing things with the Force this year. It was a pleasure to watch the Force play. They were so much more committed than the other Aus teams. If he is available I would like to see him at the Rebels next year, they need someone to get them firing.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Daley is definitely the best of the looseheads likely to be available.

What's that leave us with?

Signed and Confirmed
Weeks
Faulkner
Daley
Sa'aga

Signed but might leave
Lomax

Rumoured to sign
Talakai

Hanging around like a bad smell
Rory O'Connor
Cruze Ah Nau
Tom Moloney

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

In the event that we can't pick up a top Loose Head I think any one of the three bad smells you mentioned would be OK as a depth option. We should go hard after Vui though.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That's the experienced LHP we're after.

You have got to be kidding me. He would have to be the worst scrummager of all the Force props and has a major history of injuries. Of all the Force front rowers he would have to be the last one you would want if you want to be competitive.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
'unstoppable'

I think potentially not the worst team in the competition sounds more accurate.
If Wessels had come to Melbourne in Mid 2015 when this sorry saga began and TT had pi*s*d offf, when the mood of the boys was unreal - WE BEAT Crusaders in Christchurch FFS and that mood needed to drive us though the season . But F9*7 knuckle came on board and let TT run all over the boys and the rot began - they had a vote of no confidence in TT during the 2016 season. So, if Wessels came now, he would make us better than 'not the worst team'.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
If Wessels had come to Melbourne in Mid 2015 when this sorry saga began and TT had pi*s*d offf, when the mood of the boys was unreal - WE BEAT Crusaders in Christchurch FFS and that mood needed to drive us though the season . But F9*7 knuckle came on board and let TT run all over the boys and the rot began - they had a vote of no confidence in TT during the 2016 season. So, if Wessels came now, he would make us better than 'not the worst team'.

Did that happen?!? I'm not at all surprised - you could see from their body language that things weren't happy.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You have got to be kidding me. He would have to be the worst scrummager of all the Force props and has a major history of injuries. Of all the Force front rowers he would have to be the last one you would want if you want to be competitive.

I can't like this post, but I entirely agree with it.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I can't like this post, but I entirely agree with it.

Not this year, he was our best LHP, maybe it was our Forwards coach or he was just motivated in a motivated team and forward pack. He was also very aggressive around the field. I would be happy to see him in my team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, Ben Daley being a bad scrummager is "Fake News".

With Weeks and Fainga'a he was part of a Reds scrum that was bloody strong back in 2010 (7 years ago admittedly) and took apart the much vaunted Bulls pack, among others.

His injuries were the big issue, particularly his shoulder. If he's fit and has a pre-season, he'll be fine. Off the field he is one of those players, like Jono Lance, that are brilliant for the team environment. Melbourne has had a culture issue pretty much since inception. Daley is the type of player they need. Ewen McKenzie, for one, proclaimed him as a future Reds captain and he may well have been if not for injury.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
yeah, Ben Daley being a bad scrummager is "Fake News".

With Weeks and Fainga'a he was part of a Reds scrum that was bloody strong back in 2010 (7 years ago admittedly) and took apart the much vaunted Bulls pack, among others.

His injuries were the big issue, particularly his shoulder. If he's fit and has a pre-season, he'll be fine. Off the field he is one of those players, like Jono Lance, that are brilliant for the team environment. Melbourne has had a culture issue pretty much since inception. Daley is the type of player they need. Ewen McKenzie, for one, proclaimed him as a future Reds captain and he may well have been if not for injury.

100% agree. Sure, we need some firepower and guns on the park, but more than that we need some quality adults and leaders who can lead a group of young men.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Yep and shortly after TT came out and made a statement about how close they all were.

Classic. United on one front at least.

Geoff Parling is the one for me I reckon. Do not see him willing to contribute to a culture if there's no willingness to change for the positive.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Kev, can you tell your mates over in Thomond Park to kindly fuck off, please? Dave ain't gonna coach the Wallabies from the south of Ireland.

MELBOURNE hope to lock in Dave Wessels’ signature “in coming days” but they’ve got a shock new rival in the shape of Irish giants Munster.

We understand Munster are very keen on Wessels and have offered to fly him to Ireland next week in a bid to do a deal.

Munster’s head of rugby is fellow South African Rassie Erasmus, who gave Wessels his first assistant coach job at the Stormers in 2008.

Wessels’ Force troops - many of whom plan to go to Melbourne with him - have been lobbying their mentor to not get on the plane.

The Rebels have been targeting Wessels since Tony McGahan announced he was leaving the club in June, but they had to wait until the court battles resolved the Force’s future in Super Rugby one way or another.

Negotiations between Wessels and the Rebels are now steaming ahead and Bade Stephenson told us they hoped to have an outcome “in the next couple of days”.

“We are at the pointy end,” the Rebels CEO said.

Making life tricky still, however is Andrew Forrest’s newly announced IPRC plan. Wessels is loyal to WA and has been a superb leader in times of crisis for the club, and the rugby community, this year.

Given the investment of time and effort required at Super Rugby level, it’s unlikely Wessels could run both the Rebels and the Force in the same year but Stephenson said he’d be happy to talk with the 35-year-old about a continuing role in WA Rugby.

“Given the year the Force and Rugby WA have had and given Dave is clearly a respected and influential person over there, I would be open to a conversation about assisting in some sort of rugby in WA,” Stephenson said.

“But we’d need some clarity I guess and ultimately at this point no-one really knows what the comp is and what it be entail.

“That’s probably part of the challenge at the moment is for Dave and others to make a decision, working out exactly what the landscape is in regards to the Indo league.”

Stephenson said Wessels had “loyalty to Australian rugby” and informed sources say the South African - who has coached here since 2012 when Jake White brought him to the Brumbies - is keen to coach the Wallabies one day.

Many believe Wessels signing on with the Rebels will begin a wave of signings at the club of ex-Force players.

Stephenson said the Rebels had a number of “plan B” agreements with the Perth men and expected they would begin to formalise their moves soon, just as Ben Daley did on Wednesday.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e/news-story/49647342ed2be8f98990476442a3e542

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
If he goes to Munster great, if he goes to the Rebels great.

Win win for me,

If he wants to say FU to the ARU he will go to Munster. Would be the smart move looking at the squad they have built and performances last season.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
If he goes to Munster great, if he goes to the Rebels great.

Win win for me,

If he wants to say FU to the ARU he will go to Munster. Would be the smart move looking at the squad they have built and performances last season.

Also I think if he one day wants to be Aus coach it would be better to have TF on side than the ARU. Not knowing if TF cares where he goes, though I would think he would want him available to coach the Force in Asia.

Status
Not open for further replies.