• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tim Metcher has found a new home, signing for Seattle in the new MLR. Hope he goes well, also an opportunity i believe for him to play for Canada (although i could be wrong on this).

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Tim Metcher has found a new home, signing for Seattle in the new MLR. Hope he goes well, also an opportunity i believe for him to play for Canada (although i could be wrong on this).
And the Seawolves are my chosen MLR team. I hope he manages to stay injury-free. He had rotten luck in Melbourne.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
haven't missed the posts which is why I made the comment about the low benchmark. That was supposed to be an ironic comment but the wink did not come through for some reason

I actually agree with you. I think wessels should do a good job of merging the two rosters into one and I am looking forward to see how we go this year.

Reactions: dru

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
interesting watching the Rebels at training this am.

no Sa'gaa, no Hardwick, no Adams and no Meakes (again), i've seen a few sessions and haven't seen Meakes participate at all except for wandering around the sideline, i assume he is broken, i'd be surprised if he starts against the Reds in 15 days time.

team rehab getting smaller, Leota, Rangi and Weeks, with Parling doing fitness work

Daley, Fou, RHP, Super Sefa, not full contact yet but training with the main group as was Ainsley.

Ruru and Debrezcini in the halves, Hodge and English centres, DHP, Koroibete and Maddocks at the back (no Maddocks at 10 :)). the forwards as you'd expect given those that are in Brisbane for the 10's. Cottrell running himself ragged again, you'd assume he is the next cab off the rank at the moment and ahead of either RHP or Toolis if one of either Timani or Mafi get hurt.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
interesting watching the Rebels at training this am.

no Sa'gaa, no Hardwick, no Adams and no Meakes (again), i've seen a few sessions and haven't seen Meakes participate at all except for wandering around the sideline, i assume he is broken, i'd be surprised if he starts against the Reds in 15 days time.

team rehab getting smaller, Leota, Rangi and Weeks, with Parling doing fitness work

Daley, Fou, RHP, Super Sefa, not full contact yet but training with the main group as was Ainsley.

Ruru and Debrezcini in the halves, Hodge and English centres, DHP, Koroibete and Maddocks at the back (no Maddocks at 10 :)). the forwards as you'd expect given those that are in Brisbane for the 10's. Cottrell running himself ragged again, you'd assume he is the next cab off the rank at the moment and ahead of either RHP or Toolis if one of either Timani or Mafi get hurt.

Gee I'd love the tahs to have a tough bugger like Cottrell in their backrow. Great player.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
haven't missed the posts which is why I made the comment about the low benchmark. That was supposed to be an ironic comment but the wink did not come through for some reason

I actually agree with you. I think wessels should do a good job of merging the two rosters into one and I am looking forward to see how we go this year.

I am really pissed over shrink to greatness and (sorry guys) that choice being the Force. What I was trying to say though, is there is a place to maintain the rage, which I don't at all think to be unnecessary. That place is probably NOT the Rebels thread.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Wessels develops. To be frank, there isn't a lot in rugby that I'm actually looking forward to in 2018. (add Twiggy, add brad Thorn proving me wrong, that's about it.) Sort of the year that just has to be. So I'm hanging on to this one. Crack on Wessels.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's not brand new information by any means and only tangentially related to the rebels, but it's nice to see two former Rebels U20s (plus Goddard) named in Fox Sport's 5 rookies to watch:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...k=e407029598b1ead6981cd492719a2099-1518067610

Obviously I'd prefer having Sauni and Valetini on our books rather than running out for the Tahs and Brumbies respectively, but success of Victorian players is always worth being proud of.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
https://melbournerebels.com/2018/02/08/rebels-extend-community-ambassador-program/

PLAYER SCHOOL CLUB
Pama Fou Haileybury College Box Hill
Sefa Naivalu Scotch College Box Hill
Sam Talakai St Francis Xavier Box Hill
Semisi Tupou Marcellin Box Hill
Dane Haylett – Petty Brighton Grammar Casey/VS Barbarians
Adam Coleman Brighton Grammar Eltham/Northern
Harrison Goddard Melbourne Grammar Endeavour Hills
Sama Malolo Xavier College Endeavour Hills
Matt Philip Melbourne HS Endeavour Hills
Anaru Rangi Ivanhoe Grammar Endeavour Hills
Jack Debrecenzi St Francis Xavier Footscray
Lopeti Timani Brighton Grammar Footscray
Laurie Weeks Carey Grammar Footscray
Geoff Parling Haileybury College Footscray / Racing Rugby
Reece Hodge St Patrick’s Ballarat Geelong/Ballarat
Richard Hardwick Carey Grammar Harlequin
Ross Haylett – Petty Geelong Grammar Harlequin
Trevor Hosea Fountain Gate Harlequin
Tom Moloney Brighton Grammar Harlequin
Michael Ruru Ivanhoe Grammar Harlequin
Will Genia Fountain Gate Kiwi Hawthorn/Brimbank
Tom English Xavier College Melbourne Unicorns
Esei Ha’angana Marcellin Melbourne Unicorns
Henry Hutchinson St Kevin’s Melbourne Unicorns
Jack McGregor Geelong Grammar Melbourne Unicorns
Sam Jeffries Trinity Grammar Melbourne University
Jordan Uelese St Kevin’s Melbourne University / Eltham
Rob Leota Xavier College Melbourne University/Northern
Fereti Sa’aga Melbourne Grammar Melbourne University/Northern
Marika Koribete Geelong Grammar Melton/Wyndham City
Jermaine Ainsley Scotch College Monash Uni/Maroondah
Tayler Adams Brighton Grammar Moorabbin
Pone Fa’amausili Haileybury College Moorabbin
Colby Fainga'a Scotch College Moorabbin
Tetra Faulkner Melbourne Grammar Moorabbin
Sione Tuipolotu St Kevin’s Moorabbin/Southern Districts/Cerberus
Angus Cottrell Haileybury College Power House
Ben Daley Xavier College Power House
David Horwitz Scotch College Power House
Jack Maddocks Melbourne Grammar Power House
Billy Meakes Geelong Grammar Shepparton/Bendigo
Amanaki Mafi Marcellin Southern Districts / Racing Rugby

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I was very impressed with this yesterday. Even the player allocations to certain clubs, taking a leaf out of the Scottish model where players are evenly distributed to clubs so an even spread of talent at the level below.

Great to see all round. I think in the 2/3 months they have already done more than the entire span of last season

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Hopefully the players get right on board with this and actually spend some time at their allocated clubs and schools.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so from day 1 of the 10's have we learned anything ? of those on show, who might be considered for the match day 23, who did their prospects harm/good. Adams was a mixed bag, a couple of good things but two brain farts cost a try in each game and his defence certainly needs work. Tuipolotu did a couple of really stupid things (imo) one lead to a Reds try, the other thanks to a Kerevi indiscretion got the Rebels one. Horwitz played pretty well, all three i thought over played their hand. Paisami looked threatening every time he had the ball. Hutchinson also did well, ran hard and with good vision, Ratu needs a lot more experience, his kick at the end against the PWK cost them the game. Tupou took the few opportunities given to him well, but is quite a way down the pecking order. Dom Shipperley just couldn t get into the game. Goodard was serviceable.

For me the stand out was Malolo, seems we have a third hooker afterall.

it was all a bit helter skelter to say it related to super rugby in any meaningful way. Malolo, Paisami, Hutchinson helped themselves, Horwitz neutral, Adams and Tuipolotu weakened their prospects .

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Malolo has hops for a hooker. Over the last 2 weeks I've seen enough to be happy for him to be our third hooker, but still I'm worried that he'll be off with the 20s and we'll be a bit stuffed.

At least that Mahi fellow from Quins looks like he's a promising enough player to play the final 20 of a couple of games when that situation emerges.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Malolo has hops for a hooker. Over the last 2 weeks I've seen enough to be happy for him to be our third hooker, but still I'm worried that he'll be off with the 20s and we'll be a bit stuffed.

At least that Mahi fellow from Quins looks like he's a promising enough player to play the final 20 of a couple of games when that situation emerges.

agree, having watched the Reds game again, Vailanu did very well.

T

TOCC

RA? Just saying!

Well Vic Govt apparently gave them a cash injection of a couple of million, but at this rate and with no sponsor they’ll burn through that in one season. I don’t like harping on about it, but shit, they’re spending a lot of money on wages but I’m yet to see where they’ve cut expenditure or boosting income elsewhere.

Reactions: mst

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
https://melbournerebels.com/2018/02/08/rebels-extend-community-ambassador-program/

PLAYER SCHOOL CLUB
Pama Fou Haileybury College Box Hill
Sefa Naivalu Scotch College Box Hill
Sam Talakai St Francis Xavier Box Hill
Semisi Tupou Marcellin Box Hill
Dane Haylett – Petty Brighton Grammar Casey/VS Barbarians
Adam Coleman Brighton Grammar Eltham/Northern
Harrison Goddard Melbourne Grammar Endeavour Hills
Sama Malolo Xavier College Endeavour Hills
Matt Philip Melbourne HS Endeavour Hills
Anaru Rangi Ivanhoe Grammar Endeavour Hills
Jack Debrecenzi St Francis Xavier Footscray
Lopeti Timani Brighton Grammar Footscray
Laurie Weeks Carey Grammar Footscray
Geoff Parling Haileybury College Footscray / Racing Rugby
Reece Hodge St Patrick’s Ballarat Geelong/Ballarat
Richard Hardwick Carey Grammar Harlequin
Ross Haylett – Petty Geelong Grammar Harlequin
Trevor Hosea Fountain Gate Harlequin
Tom Moloney Brighton Grammar Harlequin
Michael Ruru Ivanhoe Grammar Harlequin
Will Genia Fountain Gate Kiwi Hawthorn/Brimbank
Tom English Xavier College Melbourne Unicorns
Esei Ha’angana Marcellin Melbourne Unicorns
Henry Hutchinson St Kevin’s Melbourne Unicorns
Jack McGregor Geelong Grammar Melbourne Unicorns
Sam Jeffries Trinity Grammar Melbourne University
Jordan Uelese St Kevin’s Melbourne University / Eltham
Rob Leota Xavier College Melbourne University/Northern
Fereti Sa’aga Melbourne Grammar Melbourne University/Northern
Marika Koribete Geelong Grammar Melton/Wyndham City
Jermaine Ainsley Scotch College Monash Uni/Maroondah
Tayler Adams Brighton Grammar Moorabbin
Pone Fa’amausili Haileybury College Moorabbin
Colby Fainga'a Scotch College Moorabbin
Tetra Faulkner Melbourne Grammar Moorabbin
Sione Tuipolotu St Kevin’s Moorabbin/Southern Districts/Cerberus
Angus Cottrell Haileybury College Power House
Ben Daley Xavier College Power House
David Horwitz Scotch College Power House
Jack Maddocks Melbourne Grammar Power House
Billy Meakes Geelong Grammar Shepparton/Bendigo
Amanaki Mafi Marcellin Southern Districts / Racing Rugby
Do we assume Nick Stirzaker will not be back for 2018 season?

Status
Not open for further replies.