• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
can we just stop with the ex- player stuff. Coleman came from Tassie and was at the Tahs first, Naisarani has been at the Brumbies, Philip originally comes from Sydney Uni and the Stars, etc etc. i recognise the large number of ex Force players at the Rebels but everyone has to start somewhere, Hardwick is a local WA product but Uelese, Sa'aga, and others are local Melbourne boys. All of them just play for the Rebels now.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
As the dust settles on the fallout from the cut to 4 for greatness ARU decision, it's interesting to to see who really are the winners and losers from the axing of the Force.

Assuming a starting side in 2019 of:

Sa'aga (Faulkner), Uelese (Rangi), Talakai (Ainsley), Coleman, Philip, Cottrell, Hardwick, Naisarani, Genia, To'omua, Maddocks (Naivalu), Meakes, Hodge, Koriobete, DHP,

that's 7 starters from the Force of 2017 with another three front rowers all possibilities. Only Sa'aga, Uelese, Hodge and Koriobete are left from the 2017 Rebels side, with Naivalu also a possible starter. Talakai, Genia, To'omua and Maddocks have come in from interstate or elsewhere since 2017. I think all of the coaching staff have come in from elsewhere, notably the Force in 2017.

The bulk of the Rebels 2017 squad appears to have left the club or will have left by the start of the 2019 season.

The 2019 Rebels squad will look very little different to what the 2019 Force squad would have looked had they been retained. In effect, the Force side will have been relocated to Melbourne as a result of the cut to four teams. Those players will be supplemented by some very good signings from elsewhere, as well as a lesser number of 2017 Rebels squad members. It will be a very strong roster and should improve on the Rebels best ever outcome this year.

The winners are obviously the fans of the Rebels and the players who have successfully relocated, here and elsewhere.

The losers are quite clearly the fans of the Force, along with a largish number of previous Rebels players who have been displaced. It could be thought that Nick Stiles was also a loser in that he might otherwise have had the role with the Reds taken on by Totality Tony.

Go well in 2019 Rebels.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
BR i dont dispute any of what you say. The Rebels have benefitted greatly from the Force's demise. Just getting tired of the ex- bit, will we see ex-Crusader Pete Samu all year, was it ex-Brumby Adam Frier, i cant recall ex-Force David Pocock after his first year in Canberra.
ps as an aside as i have said many times on these fora, i think the ARU screwed up completely, the Force should not have got axed, they were simply the easiest option in the end.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
BR i dont dispute any of what you say. The Rebels have benefitted greatly from the Force's demise. Just getting tired of the ex- bit, will we see ex-Crusader Pete Samu all year, was it ex-Brumby Adam Frier, i cant recall ex-Force David Pocock after his first year in Canberra.
ps as an aside as i have said many times on these fora, i think the ARU screwed up completely, the Force should not have got axed, they were simply the easiest option in the end.
Poey was probably injured in his first year lol

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Agree, it’s getting a bit old (and boring).

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m surprised the same group consistently saying the rebels are over the cap haven’t come out this week demanding how can the Brumbies possibly sign Kerevi. After all they would have an all wallabies front row, 3 locks that have played for aus, Samu and Pocock in the backrow, CLL, Kurindrani, Banks and Speight plus potentially Kerevi. However the big difference here is that we all don’t overly care if they can fit them in or not and there is no agenda to push. If it meant another one of our teams became playoff quality, I am all for it.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
As the dust settles on the fallout from the cut to 4 for greatness ARU decision, it's interesting to to see who really are the winners and losers from the axing of the Force.

Sa'aga (Faulkner), Uelese (Rangi), Talakai (Ainsley), Coleman, Philip, Cottrell, Hardwick, Naisarani, Genia, To'omua, Maddocks (Naivalu), Meakes, Hodge, Koriobete, DHP,

that's 7 starters from the Force of 2017 with another three front rowers all possibilities. Only Sa'aga, Uelese, Hodge and Koriobete are left from the 2017 Rebels side, with Naivalu also a possible starter. Talakai, Genia, To'omua and Maddocks have come in from interstate or elsewhere since 2017. I think all of the coaching staff have come in from elsewhere, notably the Force in 2017.

The bulk of the Rebels 2017 squad appears to have left the club or will have left by the start of the 2019 season.

The 2019 Rebels squad will look very little different to what the 2019 Force squad would have looked had they been retained. In effect, the Force side will have been relocated to Melbourne as a result of the cut to four teams. Those players will be supplemented by some very good signings from elsewhere, as well as a lesser number of 2017 Rebels squad members. It will be a very strong roster and should improve on the Rebels best ever outcome this year.

The winners are obviously the fans of the Rebels and the players who have successfully relocated, here and elsewhere.

The losers are quite clearly the fans of the Force, along with a largish number of previous Rebels players who have been displaced. It could be thought that Nick Stiles was also a loser in that he might otherwise have had the role with the Reds taken on by Totality Tony.

Go well in 2019 Rebels.
Maddocks was a Rebel in 2017

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

Sa'aga (Faulkner), Uelese (Rangi), Talakai (Ainsley), Coleman, Philip, Cottrell, Hardwick, Naisarani, Genia, To'omua, Maddocks (Naivalu), Meakes, Hodge, Koriobete, DHP

As the risk of sounding harsh, at the end of next year Rangi, Ainsley, and Philip will have spend just as much time at the Rebels as at the Force. Meakes already has, with Naisarani having spent just as much time at the Brumbies.

The Rebels did benefit the most from the Force collapse roster wise, but a lot of that is because they were in desperate need of a roster tear down, and had struggled to build a squad before that point because they were also shrouded in uncertainty.

I think the important thing to realise is other than Hardwick, DHP, and RHP, these aren't died-in-wool Perth boys. They're all professional athletes who are very transient, and have shown they will move for opportunities (which isn't to say they don't love the Rebels, and didn't love the Force). They Rebels will likely not be any of there last teams (though I do hope it's their last Aussie one).

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
You are right A in that the number of Force players who relocated shows precisely that professional players will move for opportunity. However, my main point was that the 2019 Rebels will be essentially the same team that would have turned out for the Force in 2019 had they survived as a franchise. The cut to four teams didn't so much protect the Rebels as it simply relocated the Force to Melbourne.

Reactions: dru

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You are right A in that the number of Force players who relocated shows precisely that professional players will move for opportunity. However, my main point was that the 2019 Rebels will be essentially the same team that would have turned out for the Force in 2019 had they survived as a franchise. The cut to four teams didn't so much protect the Rebels as it simply relocated the Force to Melbourne.
No, the Force players relocated to Melbourne. The Force are still in Perth and the Rebels are in Melbourne. I once had a large group of employees relocate from Queensland to Melbourne as the operation in Maroochydore was closing and centralising to Melbourne. They moved to keep working and guess what? They were never known as ex-Queenslanders, just a part of the Melbourne team.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Speaking to a mate the other day and he says he caught up with Jordy Uelese the other day and he is confident he is on track to be back for the start of the Super season next year

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Speaking to a mate the other day and he says he caught up with Jordy Uelese the other day and he is confident he is on track to be back for the start of the Super season next year
That’s pretty quick for an ACL. It was an ACL, wasn’t it?

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
even I am getting tired of the ex force reference to players . And If say so myself, when I've had enough, it's enough. Not happy about what's happened but I'm looking to the now and the future and I'm not going to rehash the past

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
An important factor here is that Melbourne has 2 Women's BBL teams that could do with a marquee signing.

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 5.22.08 pm.png

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
No, the Force players relocated to Melbourne. The Force are still in Perth and the Rebels are in Melbourne. I once had a large group of employees relocate from Queensland to Melbourne as the operation in Maroochydore was closing and centralising to Melbourne. They moved to keep working and guess what? They were never known as ex-Queenslanders, just a part of the Melbourne team.

A few issues there though. I doubt that your employees had fans attached to them. Equally, you were all a part of the same organisation.
On top of that, there is still anger at the ARU for cutting the Force. The team was looking bright and suddenly the ARU destroyed the organisation. Sure, they are now playing in WA with Twiggy rugby, but that isnt Super Rugby. Identifying that the bulk of the Force squad are still around and making starting teams is just evidence that the ARU made the wrong decision (and that is not a slight at the Rebels at all).
Finally, Im sure many Force fans are now fans of the Rebels (I am for instance) in super rugby. A huge part of the team is now there and that allows for a connection back to what the Force was. If most of the players ended up at the Tahs I would probably go for the Tahs now, and still be calling them ex Force players.

So like it or not, there are plenty of reasons why we are referring to them as ex-Force players. None of those reasons are to have a go at the Rebels.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
As the risk of sounding harsh, at the end of next year Rangi, Ainsley, and Philip will have spend just as much time at the Rebels as at the Force. Meakes already has, with Naisarani having spent just as much time at the Brumbies.

The Rebels did benefit the most from the Force collapse roster wise, but a lot of that is because they were in desperate need of a roster tear down, and had struggled to build a squad before that point because they were also shrouded in uncertainty.

I think the important thing to realise is other than Hardwick, DHP, and RHP, these aren't died-in-wool Perth boys. They're all professional athletes who are very transient, and have shown they will move for opportunities (which isn't to say they don't love the Rebels, and didn't love the Force). They Rebels will likely not be any of there last teams (though I do hope it's their last Aussie one).

To be fair, Ainsley, Ruru and Rangi came from elsewhere to further their rugby career, but came through the ranks in Perth first. They are as die in the wool Perth as Sefa is Melbourne.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
To be fair, Ainsley, Ruru and Rangi came from elsewhere to further their rugby career, but came through the ranks in Perth first. They are as die in the wool Perth as Sefa is Melbourne.

That's completely fair, I'm sure they're got a massive soft spot for Perth and they wouldn't be where they are now without Perth.

But, it does show their willing to move for rugby opportunities, which is what they're done again now. I doubt they'll be settling down in either Perth or Melbourne when their careers wind up.

It's probably also worth highlighting that all 3 of those blokes also moved from locations good locally based professional rugby opportunities and Sefa did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.