• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Geoff Parling has just been granted his permanent residency, so seems he's here to stay (in Aus at least). Does have an Aussie partner?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Club still hasn’t announced new Argentine signings, I presume they will do that in the new year, but one of the players (Sordoni) has publicly stated he’s signed a deal in an Argentine interview.

Translated says;

“I had offers for other leagues and other countries, either playing for Pro14 or France, but analyzing the options and my position, the best option was to go and play super rugby in Australia. It’s the closest place that gets me to play for Los Pumas, that’s my goal in the future. It’s an awesome tournament played by high level teams and I am pleased to continue my career at Melbourne Rebels.”

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So the website is now updated with the new squad, no Matt Philip as the top14 finishes after super rugby has finished. Hopefully for us & more important a wallabies perspective we can get him signed up to a futures contract so he is right to go for the tests in july & the rugby championship. We managed to actually unearth a lock & we dont have much depth there. We cant go in to games against the AB's with half the fwd being rookies every year.

Pone's Mullet

Dave Cowper (27)
I am a little disappointed that Pone and Trevor's mullets haven't been captured for posterity

So the website is now updated with the new squad, no Matt Philip as the top14 finishes after super rugby has finished. Hopefully for us & more important a wallabies perspective we can get him signed up to a futures contract so he is right to go for the tests in july & the rugby championship. We managed to actually unearth a lock & we dont have much depth there. We cant go in to games against the AB's with half the fwd being rookies every year.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...-covid-19-chaos-on-eve-of-super-rugby-season/

Not a good start to the pre-season already.

Several players unable to train with the squad due to quarantine measures and stuck in different states, some of the aami park facilities closed off to them as teams aren’t able to share. Also none of the Argentine players that have been linked have left for Aus yet.

I have serious reservations about this season, I cant see WA opening up their boarder to vic/nsw unless there is 28 days of zero active cases & nsw seem to be going down the contain route rather than the elimination process other places have. (please lets not turn this into a political thread)

Do we even have any trials on the go? as it sits this morning we cant bring in anyone but the force & they cant get back home

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Might be the case of drafting in a few of the guys that played Shute Shield last year from the local comp and having an inter club trial or two

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
We should probably move full time to Latrobe. From memory it is the new high performance centre for VRU and the soccer team left a while ago. How the Collingwood WAFL team gets first dibs on the gym is beyond me - we're we using whatever the old glasshouse is called these days?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
We should probably move full time to Latrobe. From memory it is the new high performance centre for VRU and the soccer team left a while ago. How the Collingwood WAFL team gets first dibs on the gym is beyond me - we're we using whatever the old glasshouse is called these days?

Its been a collingwood training base for close to 20 years now so its hard to say we should be using it not you. The new facilities out at bundoora are great but all the players get put up in houses/apartments in the Cremorne/Richmond area long way & horrible drive out there everyday.

The storm are so lucky melbourne are using casey fields. The sooner we can get back to Gosch's paddock the better for everyone.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Its been a collingwood training base for close to 20 years now so its hard to say we should be using it not you. The new facilities out at bundoora are great but all the players get put up in houses/apartments in the Cremorne/Richmond area long way & horrible drive out there everyday.

The storm are so lucky melbourne are using casey fields. The sooner we can get back to Gosch's paddock the better for everyone.

Collingwood have there own facility at the glass house, they should not be in the GYM at AAMI park is what Stoff is referring to.

The Demons and Storm use AAMI park as well normally.

Agree Latrobe full time seems like the best option, shame it's so far from AAMI park I guess.

Scooter

Colin Windon (37)
Melbourne Victory also use the gym at AAMI Park. From this photo only logos on wall at AAMI Park gym are Victory, Storm and Demons.

Therefore, does that mean that Rebels have been using Holden Centre gym with Collingwood AFLW team? That would then make sense why they would have to move.
FB_IMG_1610411237170.jpg

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I thought Rebels were moving to Latrobe anyway?
If teams are sharing a gym, I’m sure one team or organisation is considered the primary tenant based on when they signed the contract or the investment they’ve made. In this case I would assume Collingwood have made a greater investment and therefore the AFLW are considered the primary tenant and get priority over teams like the Rebels.

The men’s and women’s might not be able to share a gym due to different COVID bubble requirements

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I thought Rebels were moving to Latrobe anyway?
If teams are sharing a gym, I’m sure one team or organisation is considered the primary tenant based on when they signed the contract or the investment they’ve made. In this case I would assume Collingwood have made a greater investment and therefore the AFLW are considered the primary tenant and get priority over teams like the Rebels.

The men’s and women’s might not be able to share a gym due to different COVID bubble requirements

I believe its an AFL thing that they cant share to reduce the risk, hence why the Dees went to Casey & we have been shipped out of the glass-holden-westpac-lexus-centrehouse.

Rugby Victoria & our womens side will be based out of la trobe from what I saw on the article late last year.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Have heard the Rebels are looking at options to relocate.

Current covid restrictions would mean that teams would struggle to gain entry into the state.

Obviously they will be hopeful that they dont have to and restrictions ease

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rebels and Tahs should relocate to QLD.
At least the Force and Brumbies can fly in and out of QLD without quarantine. So only putting up the costs of two teams relocating.

Pone's Mullet

Dave Cowper (27)
That would seem pretty draconian considering how low the community transmission numbers have been across Australia.

The cricket is moving about fine

Have heard the Rebels are looking at options to relocate.

Current covid restrictions would mean that teams would struggle to gain entry into the state.

Obviously they will be hopeful that they dont have to and restrictions ease