• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Someone looking for a Coach?

TT.jpg

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
nice bloke, seemed a good coach, but the results not the standard one would expect. imo playing group are only marginally better as a collective than when they started and some of the selections have been head scratching. i hope he goes on to bigger and better things and might come back to Melbourne as DoR or head coach one day - assuming there is still a professional outfit here.

Good luck to him, hopefully someone snaps him up quick. Said it before Good guy, Not a bad coach, just hasn't worked.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Nice video put out by Dave, is this the nicest split we’ve seen? Pretty honourable.

I wonder where he’ll go next. Maybe it’s time to head back home.

I think he calls australia home now days. You'd think he could pick up a good club gig or even a defensive role at any Super Rugby club. MLR & Top League could also be options.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think he calls australia home now days. You'd think he could pick up a good club gig or even a defensive role at any Super Rugby club. MLR & Top League could also be options.
Seattle Seawolves could do with a decent coach. As for us, bring back Sean Hedger - I have good memories of the 2014 NRC Rising season.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
David Wessels will be a name mentioned for the warratahs job. I reckon he stood down as opposed to being forced out so his name is in the mixer in NSW a little sooner then expected.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good luck to him, hopefully someone snaps him up quick. Said it before Good guy, Not a bad coach, just hasn't worked.

Yep good summary - fact is just not worked in terms of results or showing cohesion on the field as a team so only outcome could happen here ie he move on before pushed. Hopefully Rebels invest in an experienced coach as can't have another 4 years like you had with quality of squad on paper

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Yep good summary - fact is just not worked in terms of results or showing cohesion on the field as a team so only outcome could happen here ie he move on before pushed. Hopefully Rebels invest in an experienced coach as can't have another 4 years like you had with quality of squad on paper

You saying that so we don't sign up DC/Frier before you guys do? ;)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Bit sobering when you realise Wessels is probably our most successful coach and he didn't perform near what we hoped. By no means is the only way up.

Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The tahs are a circus

Ya think your getting Warren gatland candidate. but your not

Yes I can’t imagine tahs would be preferred destination for a top coach but then again maybe knowing opening the purse strings could surprise - but yeh that is more wishful thinking then any real conviction

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes I can’t imagine tahs would be preferred destination for a top coach but then again maybe knowing opening the purse strings could surprise - but yeh that is more wishful thinking then any real conviction

Landing Wessels for the Tahs would be like a meme #RealityVsExpectation

As a red fan I hope you don’t get a top line coach but Wessels at the Tahs would be the clearest pathway to respectability #IMO

Over half a decade etc between 2x super rugby clubs... you’d have a inside track on a lot of off contract FA. Please Tahs don’t sign Wessels.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Bit sobering when you realise Wessels is probably our most successful coach and he didn't perform near what we hoped. By no means is the only way up.

Yep.63% winning record really is nothing to sneeze at. Better than my impression of the Cheika years in charge of the Wallabies and iinm his name has been mentioned in relation to the Tahs.