• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I guess in theory the host city for 'super round' wouldn't necessarily have to have a super team. Adelaide? Honolulu? Hong Kong?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
How does the final work in the trans-Tasman comp? Is it the top team from each country? If it is top 2, do they carry over any points from the local comps? Do you only carry over 1 round? Otherwise there will be a lot of noise about the comp being unfair.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Will either be Brisbane or somewhere like Singapore. Both have governments willing to back sporting events like this.

Sydney doesn’t have the stadium capacity currently with the SFS still out, there’s still multiple nrl teams playing in Sydney that weekend.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How does the final work in the trans-Tasman comp? Is it the top team from each country? If it is top 2, do they carry over any points from the local comps? Do you only carry over 1 round? Otherwise there will be a lot of noise about the comp being unfair.

its a fresh comp with everyone starting on 0.

Top two teams play in the GF

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Tokyo could be a good option for a host city. The Top League finishes in May so no local competition for the main venues.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I guess in theory the host city for 'super round' wouldn't necessarily have to have a super team. Adelaide? Honolulu? Hong Kong?

Super week sounds great. 5 games probably won't fit into one day, so perhaps Friday night and Saturday afternoon/night. Maybe Sunday.

Anyone have the good oil?

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
its a fresh comp with everyone starting on 0.

Top two teams play in the GF

Pretty tough for an Australian team to make the final on that basis. You would have to beat 4 NZ teams in 5 weeks to make it. I am pretty sure that you could win 4 and still miss out. I would be really concerned that the NZ teams will finish 1st to 5th in this comp.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rumours continue in The Australian that Koroibete wants to take up a big money contract in Japan next year, but RA are refusing to release him early

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Rumours continue in The Australian that Koroibete wants to take up a big money contract in Japan next year, but RA are refusing to release him early
I don’t want him to go (huge loss for Rebels and Wallabies) but contract aside, do you want to force someone to stay? They aren’t going to have their heart in it.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's a tricky one. Yes he should honour a contract, but with the COVID and the pay cuts, the situation is less black and white than it normally is.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He isn’t on a pay cut though, all wallabies are getting paid in full.
He had an opportunity earlier this year to break contract when he agreed to a short term pay cut, but he signed that contract and now his pay has been reinstated in full.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The Rebels benefited from To'omua doing the same thing to the Tigers last year.

We understand how contracts work and he should honour it but the Rebels may be paying overs for a disinterested player and create bad blood.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Play hardball. Yeah - he might become disinterested but it's the precedent that's important.

I do think they should set up a Japanese sabbatical system for as long as they intend to keep selections closed, though.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It is a Jamie Pandaram article. This years he’s mentioned almost half the wallabies squad as been disgruntled and threatening to leave. The article also correctly points out that the tv deal so far is roughly $20m less than the last one (with overseas rights to be still signed), but then says they have cut $15m a year in expenditure. I’m not a brainiac but the $20m discrepancy minus $15m would only mean $5m is required on the balance sheet from where they were. Hardly a situation of RA been unable to cover expenses. I’d presume expenses like travel costs going forward will also be dramatically reduced.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Think we will see a lot more doom and gloom from the News Ltd papers and the reporting being pushed further back from the back page. They must think rugby fans are all halfwit morons that believe anything if it’s printed in the paper.

Interesting that Wayne Smith isn’t involved with the negativity.

They seem to be able to get Halloran and Pandaram to take all the pot shots .