• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
It may have been the kick up the arse that Paisami needed. Can't disagree that at this stage it is a Rebels loss though.
He was sacked for king hitting a team mate. While I think out development of our backs is poor this bloke has nobody to blame but himself for no longer being at the Rebels. I was gutted when the news broke as you knew he would be shown the door. I watched him play for Samoa at the under 20s and was excited about his future in Melbourne but he fucked it up

Reactions: dru

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
We have had 5 RV boys play this year & another one given a spot in the squad, we now run most of our promotions around the 4 that have played most of the games.

There is no more out there up to Super Rugby level, I dont get why your harping of negatively about how well we are doing on this front purely because 1 wants to play in france for a yr or 2
No more out there check the wallabies squad for RV boys there. We need to attract and keep our own players over recruiting blokes.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
thanks Reg, I was about to post that Paisami DIDN'T hit a team mate, but was involved in defending Pone - not that one would think that's necessary.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Other codes you can earn considerable money been a squad member, Aus Super Rugby sides been a squad member isn’t a lucrative job. There is guys in the team that earn less than $100k a season (yep good money but not in the professional sporting sphere). The main thing for pro athletes is “am I playing regularly”?, if the answer is no then you look somewhere else.

This would be the case here, he’s not earning good money and not playing regularly. Now he can go overseas and play 10-15+ games a year and earn some good money that means he won’t have to work until he’s 68yrs old.

Tell you what, if I was offered $80k to train and live in Melbourne, I wouldn't think twice about taking any French/Japanese/Italian money on offer and buggering off to the continent and tupping Euro/Japanese talen while earning 3x the Melbourne wage.

Pone's Mullet

Dave Cowper (27)
I see that Gordon was playing again up north, a sign maybe?

Could he not have played Dewar which kicked off this weekend?

How long is his contract, I had it in my mind it was two years, but I can't find any press.

Bugger it, Let's just get Ciprianni back.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)

How long is his contract, I had it in my mind it was two years, but I can't find any press.

I think everyone has got to remember his only 20YO and the Rebels are playing must win games. Has not been the time and place to bring in a young flyhalf.

Also I would rather him go back North to play this year, not to many 20YO fly half's would survive the Dewar shield against some of the bigger teams. Seen Rebels forwards get smashed on a Saturday playing club rugby let alone the backs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

apparently the two Gordons and the younger Vaihu at least have been told they will be playing with Wests in Brisbane "long term".

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
apparently the two Gordons and the younger Vaihu at least have been told they will be playing with Wests in Brisbane "long term".

I think Carter was back in melbourne as of today. I dont think he will get the call up this week though I reckon we'll go the 6 - 2 bench again hence why Glen Viahu played 23 on sunday

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think everyone has got to remember his only 20YO and the Rebels are playing must win games. Has not been the time and place to bring in a young flyhalf.

Also I would rather him go back North to play this year, not to many 20YO fly half's would survive the Dewar shield against some of the bigger teams. Seen Rebels forwards get smashed on a Saturday playing club rugby let alone the backs.
So, when are all these games that aren't must win coming round?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Horon just said on Rugby Heaven that Isi has gone for next year, anyone else heard of anything on this? massive blow if true

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Horon just said on Rugby Heaven that Isi has gone for next year, anyone else heard of anything on this? massive blow if true
Not a surprise. He's a test level player that doesn't play to Rennie's style. He'll get big bucks overseas.

Goodluck to him.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Haven’t heard anything.

He’s been injured for all but 1 game this year and last year was injured for half the season as well.