• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Agree, his still only 24 years old as well. Think the Rebels expected to much to soon from him, Rebels had given him a year or two more and he would have been ready.
I agree that he could've stayed a bit longer but not sure he's delivered on his promise just yet, we'll see tomorrow I guess.

Definitely could've used him at the moment with our dearth of centres.

Also, nice that Sione gets to debut against his country of heritage.

Hogie

Allen Oxlade (6)
What is the story on his brother? I have heard reports that he has great potential and if this is the case I reckon Scotland may be calling...

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
for those still wondering, from the Rebs facebook page both Gordons training, Eloff also, so a three fewer doubtfuls from page 1 of the thread

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
for those still wondering, from the Rebs facebook page both Gordons training, Eloff also, so a three fewer doubtfuls from page 1 of the thread
Gordons look like they have put on size. Is Joe Pincus training at FB? No To'omua as yet I see. Rebels look like their building with some classy players. Any word on how Lukas Ripley is going at training?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Gordons look like they have put on size. Is Joe Pincus training at FB? No To'omua as yet I see. Rebels look like their building with some classy players. Any word on how Lukas Ripley is going at training?
Backline worries me greatly.

Forward pack should be humming soon. If everyone stays fit the forward pack should be up there in the Aus conference. Strong front row lead by Uelese, 1.5 Wallabies lock pairing in Hosea & Philip. Leota in the backrow with any combination of the toilers. Hopefully equals a formidable scrum.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

Forward pack should be humming soon. If everyone stays fit the forward pack should be up there in the Aus conference. Strong front row lead by Uelese, 1.5 Wallabies lock pairing in Hosea & Philip. Leota in the backrow with any combination of the toilers. Hopefully equals a formidable scrum.
backline may surprise, provided all stay fit, Powell and Sorovi are very serviceable, Gordon at 10, To'omua, then Ili (has being playing well in NPC), or Magnay (may eventually live up to expectation), Kellaway and Anderson, Hodge at FB. back ups are a little light but perhaps someone will step up and surprise, Skelton ? or Ripley ?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
backline may surprise, provided all stay fit, Powell and Sorovi are very serviceable, Gordon at 10, To'omua, then Ili (has being playing well in NPC), or Magnay (may eventually live up to expectation), Kellaway and Anderson, Hodge at FB. back ups are a little light but perhaps someone will step up and surprise, Skelton ? or Ripley ?
Serviceable is the word I take away from that unfortunately

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Yes you got Gordon who still in his appreticeship at 10. To'omua who looks more and more looking past it - and now with concussion out of the picture. You have 9's at best said on here as "serviceable"...you have MK as best backs player now gone....nothing flash at 15, Hodge who we can't decide on his best position. Really at this point the only clear positive I see with Rebels backline is Kellaway with lots of question marks elsewhere.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I look at the rebels squad for next year and it does not inspire. I really want the rebels to do well but the quality of the squad needs to improve.

Obvs biased but imo a tight 5 of Orr, Uelese, Fa'amausili, Hosea and Philip is up there with the best in Aus (although admittedly there isn't much behind them). I also have a lot of confidence in the 9/10 combo of Powell and Gordon to fire. Backrow and back 3 are both ok.

Main concern is the centres. Both To'omua and Ili aren't at the required level. Really hoping that Magnay, Vaihu, Vudogu and/or Skelton step up.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Obvs biased but imo a tight 5 of Orr, Uelese, Fa'amausili, Hosea and Philip is up there with the best in Aus (although admittedly there isn't much behind them). I also have a lot of confidence in the 9/10 combo of Powell and Gordon to fire. Backrow and back 3 are both ok.

Main concern is the centres. Both To'omua and Ili aren't at the required level. Really hoping that Magnay, Vaihu, Vudogu and/or Skelton step up.
Isi big loss in the forwards although a fan of Wells. You also did not mention Leota. Anyhow the forwards is not the area of concern (although I think overall Brumbies and Reds have better forwards) - the backs is definitely a concern as you have one proven class performer in the backs at the moment (Kellaway) and lots of question marks about the rest. BTW hodge is good but he can't seem to nail down a position in super rugby where he really stands out. Recruitment wise they need to try and plug this for as you say you are hoping otherwise for a lot of players you mention to step up which is not a good position to be in. Who knows when the Rebels had a world class and nearly wallaby backline some years ago they way underperformed so maybe with a pretty ordinary backine they can overperform above expectations.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Keen to see how Lukas Ripley goes next year . Only a young fella , but his improvement this year was quite phenomenal to watch .

Spent the first half of the season doing injury rehab . Couple of halves of Colts footy then straight into First Grade. Started in the 13 jersey for UQ in the QPR grand final and looked like he had been playing there all year. Stepped up with each promotion.

Could end up being the answer at 13 and would be somewhat familiar with Carter Gordon at 10. Same school , two years apart , played senior at 12 with Mason Gordon as his 10.

Edit : he was only one year behind Carter, would have played a bit of footy with both Gordon boys.

Last edited:

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Our woes at centre really makes me miss Sione Tuipulotu and Semisi Tupou. Two massive missed opportunities for the Rebels.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Our woes at centre really makes me miss Sione Tuipulotu and Semisi Tupou. Two massive missed opportunities for the Rebels.
I think that's harsh on the Rebels. Tupou was looking promising but Sione was given 6 years of professional chances.