• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Drua

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
GAGR 24/7 Emergency Standby Screenshotting Team
Announcement:

46jszr.gif

rebels.png

And to make matters worse, his friend drapes his jacket on the seat in front...

larry-has-an-argument-in-a-theater-in-curb-your-enthusiasm.jpg

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
While understanding why you are pissed etc with the act(as am I) I think to say not to play again this year maybe a bit much. I don't have any idea of what he will or should get, but doubt it would be that long.
Striking with the elbow is
* Medium range - 5 weeks
* Top end - 9 weeks

Given the automatic couple of weeks off for saying sorry, I reckon they will give him 3 weeks off the top end = 6 week suspension

This would be consistent with Vahaamahina for France in 2019

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I would hope otherwise Strewth. There is no way that a player remonstrates like that on the field and is genuinely sorry.

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I would hope otherwise Strewth. There is no way that a player remonstrates like that on the field and is genuinely sorry.
Interesting that Canham was pretty kind to Lomani after the game, saying it was just a heat of the moment thing and him and Frank are mates from when they played together.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
They all know how to play the game. Lomani (or someone at the club!) will have contacted Canham straight after the game with demonstrable evidence of regret.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Genuinely curious, have people actually been criminally charged in Victoria for violence on the footy field?

I’ve seen a bloke run off a bench, king hit a player and then run into some bush land in front of 2000 witnesses and they got like 8 weeks.
Local footy there has been a few

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
While understanding why you are pissed etc with the act(as am I) I think to say not to play again this year maybe a bit much. I don't have any idea of what he will or should get, but doubt it would be that long.
We can not pretend to be serious about protecting the head if we let him play

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
famous case in the late 70's in social game under VRU auspices, the sent off player got only a couple of weeks, the one assaulted took the matter to police and then eventually a civil lawsuit, too long ago to remember the outcome exactly, but i do recall he was found guilty of assault and got a good behaviour bond from the criminal case.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
And to make matters worse, his friend drapes his jacket on the seat in front...

larry-has-an-argument-in-a-theater-in-curb-your-enthusiasm.jpg

See the alpha male below assert his dominance in the wild.

He's a Rebel and he'll never ever be any good!

rebgif.gif

ps I cannot believe I took the time to make a GIF of that. I really need to get out more......

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
See the alpha male below assert his dominance in the wild.

He's a Rebel and he'll never ever be any good!

rebgif.gif

ps I cannot believe I took the time to make a GIF of that. I really need to get out more......
Not only does he have to deal with a racist fluffybunny of a mate, but he's also enduring a long-lost battle with his hairline. Near-perfect 90º is rather impressive.

rebgif.jpg

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
An elbow to the back of the head is just about the worst thing you could do. The France example above is nowhere near as dangerous as the Lomani hit. That was an elbow standing to the face/cheek swinging backwards. Lomani delivered the point of the elbow straight down to the back of the head of a player who could not defend himself from the attack. It is a blatant cowardly dog act which should receive the maximum penalty possible. He cannot be allowed to argue any mitigation or benefit of contrition. 10 to 12 weeks should be the minimum for it. It had the potential to paralyse Canham if he had got him a couple of inches lower on the brain stem.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
An elbow to the back of the head is just about the worst thing you could do. The France example above is nowhere near as dangerous as the Lomani hit. That was an elbow standing to the face/cheek swinging backwards. Lomani delivered the point of the elbow straight down to the back of the head of a player who could not defend himself from the attack. It is a blatant cowardly dog act which should receive the maximum penalty possible. He cannot be allowed to argue any mitigation or benefit of contrition. 10 to 12 weeks should be the minimum for it. It had the potential to paralyse Canham if he had got him a couple of inches lower on the brain stem.
Absolutely, it’s banned in the UFC that action due to the serious risk of brain injury and death.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I mean, it carries a reasonable risk of death to the victim.

This technique is very dangerous because the rabbit punch can damage the spine cord and/or cause the brain to detach from the brain stem. This punch should not be practiced against a partner because it can potentially severely injure your training partner.

The name rabbit punch comes from an old-fashioned method that was used by trappers to kill a rabbit without ruining the rabbit’s fur (and thus keep the fur in better condition for sale). They used a club to strike the back of the rabbit’s neck in order to sever its spinal cord.

And delivered with a 12-6 elbow strike. It's absolutely obscene.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I mean, it carries a reasonable risk of death to the victim.

This technique is very dangerous because the rabbit punch can damage the spine cord and/or cause the brain to detach from the brain stem. This punch should not be practiced against a partner because it can potentially severely injure your training partner.

The name rabbit punch comes from an old-fashioned method that was used by trappers to kill a rabbit without ruining the rabbit’s fur (and thus keep the fur in better condition for sale). They used a club to strike the back of the rabbit’s neck in order to sever its spinal cord.

And delivered with a 12-6 elbow strike. It's absolutely obscene.
Yep, the game can not stand there and say they are for player safety and protecting the head if they don’t come down hard on this.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I read Canham needed 20 stitchers after the game. I did see a photo of the blood on the bandage as well. Max penalty needs to be applied.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Worth noting those seats are some of the pricier in the stadium, certainly not where me and the rest of the unwashed sit. And in the decade of attending Rebels games at AAMI, not once have I heard shit like that spoken aloud behind the goals.

Old mate should be named, shamed and banned for life from ticketed rugby matches, and his shitheel mates who tacitly supported him should be banned too.

Young mate in Adelaide who ran on the AFL field got a life ban; this incident is far worse.
Unfortunately, I sit in the same area and felt obliged to move once as a few supporters from a visiting team I wont name felt obliged to abuse every rebels player using homophobic or racist slurs. I only heard the one time however. Most supporters are pretty good.

Reactions: Tex

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I genuinely don't understand it. Like, even if you're a selfish unthinking prick, I think there are 19 boys of islander heritage (inclusive of Maori) in the squad for the rebels, 15 of whom were playing on Friday, and that's before all the islander juniors like Talataiana, Palu, Naea, Tuipulotu, and Saumaisue. How can you possibly dissociate that part of yourself from the club you clearly care for, even in the moment, particularly if you're spending enough money for behind the bench seats.