• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Waratahs 2015 Super Rugby Rd 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Very entertaining match, great intensity from both teams. Waratahs were ten times better than last week's performance and deserved to win a close one. Rebels are a good team and some credit must go to Totality Tony for their preparation - a win against the Crusaders and down in a close one to the Waratahs. On this performance they should win more than they lose this year. Great to hear the Melbourne crowd so vocal and supportive of their team.

Tonight showed what a loss Kepu and Higgenbothom are for Australian rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Dennis staying on the ground was genuinely jokeshop stuff, especially with Sefa pinged later.

Why? It wasn't late and he was using his arms. And I don't think that Sefa should have been penalised either - it was just a clumsy attempt at tackle and he got his head in the wrong spot rather than made a shoulder charge.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Im still confused why Kepu came back on the field in the final minutes, was Tilse really injured or did they have Tilse go down because the Tahs scrum was getting penalised so heavily?

Front row players can come back on - and as far as I know the player coming off doesn't necessarily have to be injured - although I can be corrected on this.

T

TOCC

Front row players can come back on - and as far as I know the player coming off doesn't necessarily have to be injured - although I can be corrected on this.

hmm ok my interpretation was that for him to come back on it could only be for an injured prop:

If a player is substituted, that player may only return to play when replacing a player with a blood injury or for an injured front row player in accordance with Law 3.5.

http://www.irbofficiating.com/index.php?module=2&section=26

It just seemed very coincidental that the scrum was getting heavily penalised, Tilse jogs off without any obvious injury or medical attention and Kepu comes back on..

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Really good game and I think it shows that gap is closing. Going to be battered bodies tomorrow. IMHO I though taking Burgess off changed the game; with a one man advantage calling in the forwards to play tight that lead to the knock on and then focusing more on the ref as your trying trying to milk a scrum penalty and while distracted letting Foley run around really cost the Rebels.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Prop who has been subbed can only come back for an injury, not a substitution, and only when another player in that position is not available.

Seriously, if they were worried about their scrum, then I'm hearing Kepu should have come back on for Ryan, not Tilse.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Disappointing result. But for some reason I didn't want the Reds to play the Tahs if they had lost 2 in a row. Now they will be all complacent & we can ambush the fuckers. Hopefully.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Why? It wasn't late and he was using his arms. And I don't think that Sefa should have been penalised either - it was just a clumsy attempt at tackle and he got his head in the wrong spot rather than made a shoulder charge.

At the ground it looked like he'd drilled Harris' head with his shoulder. Take it back if he didn't though.

I wonder if the Rebels might start thinking about an Ellison-Naivalu centre partnership at some point. Inman is good at what he does, but there's room for another ball player - especially since Harris doesn't enter the line from fullback a whole lot.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
At the ground it looked like he'd drilled Harris' head with his shoulder. Take it back if he didn't though.

I wonder if the Rebels might start thinking about an Ellison-Naivalu centre partnership at some point. Inman is good at what he does, but there's room for another ball player - especially since Harris doesn't enter the line from fullback a whole lot.
A second play maker would make a huge difference.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
A second play maker would make a huge difference.

Especially since Debreczeni is still growing into the role. Seemed when we started getting into some deep phase play he started getting a little bit lost.

Maybe move Mikey to 12 and bring Crawford, Veainu or Placid in at fullback? Just need a bit more zip out there. We'll beat a lot of teams if we can play like we did tonight (how good was the scrum?) but we'll probably struggle to pip the really top teams.

Big, big, improvement on last year though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I briefly saw a replay of Dennis' hit on Aussie Mike - didn't look like his shoulder contacted head. Just looked like Harris ragdolled as he passed the ball, and wasn't braced for the hit. Head did snap around.

i thought melbournians would be antidisestablishmentarianisms

aka emo hipsters

They're all totally conformist with their attempt to be non-conformist in the same way.

ITS IRONIC!!!

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Timani took it upon himself to demolish any ball runner in his channel. What a beast.

TPN copped it the hardest, but he smashed some very tough blokes (JaqPot, Kepu and Skelton) all night. It's a good feeling having an enforcer in your colours.

Gardiner was shit. That's all I have to say about him.

Tahs' structure got better as the game wore on.

Rebels fought their way back into it but can blame themselves for a number of missed tackles and crucial fumbles.

Much improved from last year, which is a blessed relief more than anything.

And the 13,000 Mexicans that turned up put out more noise and enthusiasm than most other crowds in Aus. It's a great stadium to watch sport and when the Rebels get a roll on, the swelling noise is almost physical.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Tells ya what... the physicality is up on last year. The first 2 performances of Timani would have him solving a lot of the issues people were whinging about with the Wallabies 2nd row last year. Hope he can continue to bring that level each week. Jones working very hard as well.

I love seeing Izzy actually hit a line hard like he did at one stage tonight. He is almost impossible to tackle with that speed, size and a slight angle change "against the grain". To me that is what he was lacking last year, almost avoiding the contact(running sideways), taking a soft hit and looking for an often average offload. JUST GO HARD SON!

I find myself agreeing with a couple other posters above. A 12 with the ability to play the ball would help the Rebels attack immensely. You could just swap Ellison and Inman.... Ellison has some skills. However Harris at 12 would give them more. That then leaves Ellison and Inman battling over 13. Probably Bring Placid in at 15.... that kid is sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.