• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs Brumbies RD2 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

I just wouldn't remove To'omua or Lealiifano and don't think he has the footwork needed at a 13. However, he wasn't an international 12 until he was developed there, so I wouldn't mind putting him there. Just feel for Andrew Smith, he is great.

Yeah Smith has been very consistent. I'd put To'omua on the bench, Lilo at 10 and McCabe at 12. Harsh on To'omua. I still think our wings should be Speight and Tomane over Rathbone.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I still think our wings should be Speight and Tomane over Rathbone.
I think we need to see how the opposition plays and pick of the three for that. Eg. Crap defense, Tomane and Speight. Strong backs, Rathbone and Speight. We have so many talented backs, why not find their strengths and play them for the opposition?

P

Paradox

I think we need to see how the opposition plays and pick of the three for that. Eg. Crap defense, Tomane and Speight. Strong backs, Rathbone and Speight. We have so many talented backs, why not find their strengths and play them for the opposition?
I think Tomane and Speight are probably the best selections for any opposition ;) but no doubt we'll see rotation aplenty. Tomane could be a 13 as well...

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sounds good. I'd take Martin Tyler or Phil Liggett talking about a completely different sport over the current lot.

Argh, not Phil Liggett. Same old tired cliches repeated ad nauseum ("he's digging into his suitcase of courage"), loads of obvious errors which are getting worse as he gets older, and painful fanboyism favouritism to some riders (his man love and vocal defence of Armstrong was sickening, and his description of Andy Schleck as the "people's champion" was just plain sad for instance). Soothing voice, though.

Causal cycling fans, like those that just watch the TdF tend to like Phil Liggett. Those who really follow the sport generally can't stand him - soothing voice aside.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
he wasn't an international 12 until he was developed there

Are you trying to say McCabe is of international standard at 12? I hope not. He is nowhere near an international standard 12. Neither Lilo nor To'omua should lose their spot to him. 11,13 or 14 are the only jumpers he should be wearing.

On a side note I wouldn't mind seeing Tevita have a bit more of a run to see if he has what it takes at Super level.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The old 'game of two halves' cliche could never be truer after that match.

The Rebels started well and should have been in front if their lineout didn't stutter early on. The Brumbies try was against the run of play and took the Rebels momentum away.

The Brumbies discipline at the ruck is an issue that stronger teams will exploit and punish further if they can't get it sorted out quickly.

Whatever Jake said at half time worked wonders as I feared the window between him in the coaches box and me in the press box shattering if he bashed it hard enough.

The Rebels suffered once O'Connor went off making that try saving tackle -Don't forget it was Rathbone running at full pace!

When Phipps went off I thought they'd lose their way and taking Delve off was just astounding, considering the other injury to Beale that saw him battling.

I thought Jones for the Rebels played well and Mitch Inman was on the red snakes as he looked very worked up for the game.

Rebels will need a good week of physio before they take on the Tahs whilst Brumbies get the week off.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Are you trying to say McCabe is of international standard at 12? I hope not. 11,13 or 14 are the only jumpers he should be wearing.

Not International standard? He's played probably 20 tests for a top 3 nation, that's exactly what International standard is. And saying he is limited to 11,13,14 is just wrong too; he made his name in Super Rugby at 15, and developed his game with Wallabies at 12.

doleq

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Brumbies looked a lot fitter. The Rebels were out on their feet for the last twenty five minutes. Without parity in possession they will continue to struggle. I thought the back line showed enough spark, especially from broken play, to do some damage against most defences, but if they don't have the pill they don't stand a chance. Does not help dropping off so many tackles in the second half.
As for the halves, while neither stood out, White's kicking smarts will keep him ahead of Phipps in the battle for a canary yellow shirt come June

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think it is a credit to the way White has built the Brumbies, that I can look at that game and see a contest between a team of champions and a champion team.

Broken down, the Brumbies really are a team of champions. But they don't act or play like it and its that attitude that will serve them well. The no nonsense captaincy style of Mowen is gold.

With the Rebels, if JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale aren't doing something special you don't have any sense it is going to lead to something. When Marto interviewed Delve he gave him a soft out and offered up the injuries as an excuse as to the reason they lost. If Delve was honest he would have admitted they lost it between the 40 and 60 minute mark before the injuries. The Brums just smothered them.

M

Moono75

Auelua big impact off the bench. Mogg and Lealiifano good games. Was I right in seeing Kurtley Beale as man of the match? If so thats a joke. He looked like a sour puss after JOC (James O'Connor) went off and he can't tackle to save himself. No effort to chase on the Mowen try and tackling far to high trying to stop Coleman going over the line. Rebels could be in trouble if he and JOC (James O'Connor) miss with injuries.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Good to see the doc get his way with JOC (James O'Connor) re head injury: we should support this in the interests of the long term health of the elite players but also because it sends a good message to the youngsters that its not macho to play on with concussion.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
fairly good game for 65 minutes. By then the rebels had had the fight beaten out of them.

SOOOOO GOOOOOD to see both captains blowing off fairly kickable penalty kicks for the sideline or for scrums. Definitely won't see that in the northern hemisphere.

As with last year - the brumbies are just great at using hands to move the ball - no cutouts needed, both forwards and backs in the action. To'omua is class - nothing too special but just stayed cool and controlled the play when needed. plus a class inside ball to release rathbone through the hole - was too quick for my eyes to notice it. Whole brumes back line played well. Forwards just got a bit too eager though.

For the rebels, thought Luke Jones was great and inman had a good second half (probably the first game where he really got involved). Strange subbing though - almost as if the Hill threw in the towel and tried to rest he players for next week.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Was I right in seeing Kurtley Beale as man of the match? If so thats a joke. He looked like a sour puss after JOC (James O'Connor) went off and he can't tackle to save himself. No effort to chase on the Mowen try and tackling far to high trying to stop Coleman going over the line.

I think this is rubbish. Beale was the rebels best player in the first half, and he was pretty clearly injured early in the second half - yet he stayed on the field and kept making tackles and running the attack. I'm not the guys biggest fan by any stretch but to describe his efforts last night as anything but brave is a diservice imho.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good to see the doc get his way with JOC (James O'Connor) re head injury: we should support this in the interests of the long term health of the elite players but also because it sends a good message to the youngsters that its not macho to play on with concussion.
I was reading the fox sports article and the undertone was that the doctor was being stupid. I certainly hope most people don't think that.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
McCabe made his name in Super Rugby at 15, and developed his game with Wallabies at 12.

yeah but unfortunately the wallabies didn't develop their game with him at 12. Whatever - I love the guy's attitude and its way to early for this wallaby shit.
Super Season!!!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I am awful surprised if anyone named Beale MOM, am I only one that gets pissed off with players like Beale as soon as they get beaten (as when Mowen scored) they don't chase and try to put pressure on scorer, JOC (James O'Connor) did same when Mogg scored, gave up chase after about 5 metres, I not saying they only ones, but noticed them both do it last night, and it a bug bear of mine!!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Auelua was a monster off the bench as was Scott Sio.

I have also been very impressed with Scott Sio. Big man with a lot of pace, and seems to be very hard to put down. Scrum also didn't waver when he came on, though they were penalised a couple of times for walking around (undeservedly on one occasion imo). But that is a matter for the whole scrum to rectify I believe. Clearly, the Brumbies had the dominant scrum and were out to put maximum pressure on the Rebels in those late scrums near the try line. A different ref might have awarded the penalty the other way, especially when the Rebels scrum disintegrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.