• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels vs. Waratahs - 2011R01

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Firstly this is a genuine comment not a dig.

The Waratah's, in my opinion, did nothing different to last year. They don't seem to have progressed at all. It's still very conservative rugby.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The Waratah's, in my opinion, did nothing different to last year. They don't seem to have progressed at all. It's still very conservative rugby.

I think that's a dig. They don't look conservative at all. How many points at goal did we take?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

its more a misconception form people what rugby is actually exciting and what is not. the Tahs have a total team, that means the forwards earn them go forward and the backs finish it off. the forwards are conservative as its there job to keep the ball secure, they then allow the backs space to make decisions.

people call the tahs boring cos its a buzz word. the crusaders play field percentage rugby, people call them exciting cos of there counter attack, but really ball in hand there not much to look at at all.

the tahs last night played smart rugby, they used there attacking players when they were needed and didnt overplay there hand.

im sure the reds would have been working on the same thing over the off season, setting up your chances and taking them more consistantly, its not boring at all, its brilliant, its team work, its rugby.

W

Waylon

The waratahs were impressive
Scrum was awesome
Lineout safe and a good chance of a steal.....threatening
Great halves. This is the main difference from failed seasons past.
Good in midfield.
Speed and finishing in the back 3 with match winners
I think they could go all the way
The most impressive feature was go forward from the pack. Will have to wait for the big matches to assess this but was a great start

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Waugh and his forwards set a great platform for the backs.

When the Waratah backs kept the ball in hand they totally outclassed and outpaced the Rebel backs. A lot of the Rebel's problems stemmed from Vuna's positional play in attack and particularly in defence. He was terrible. In contrast Carter had a sublime game, providing good service to his outside stars and doing the hard yards better than usual. This game should be cmpulsory viewing for any coach that mutters the words "we might make 'xxx' an inside centre".

I would also like to see Barnes take on the defence more often. Seems a tad slower.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
TH you are kidding.
You have pre conceived ideas on how the Mungo would go.
Vuna only ever got the ball with blood all over it.Defence? the Rebels scrambled in D all night after the first 20 minutes.How you can possibly isolate the 12 as been the problem is drawing a long bow.
I am not saying he had a good game, but IMO played as good as could have been expected behind a pack that was dominated.
Claiming the Rebels got beat cos of the 12 is ridiculous.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
rather than an individual player, the problem with the rebels defence was communication and trust, they were stopping sliding to make tackles they should have left for there inside men causing the overlap. that itself stemmed from the fact they were commiting twice the numbers at the breakdown. it will come with time but i dont think anyone was to blame individually at all.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
WJ,
I think most agree that the Reb's problems stemmed from too many at the breakdown. Both with & without the ball.
Interesting to see what they they do next week as it was clearly a big part of their game plan last night.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
to many numbers and the defence stem back to trust and communication for mine though. if you have confidence that the two forwards at the ruck are going to get the job doe then you wont go in, ditto with defence.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Hmm, conservative stuff gets 7 tries and 43-0. I might be in the minority, but I'll take that, thank you very much.
For years, when Tahs fans suffered after year upon year of losing to the Reds, often when they coulda / shoulda won, and the Reds often played grinding, effective 10 man rugby more often than not, I would think you would seldom hear too many complaints about how conservative they were, if they were getting the results. And the Reds were.
Now, they have a fancy-pantsy 10, and some zing in the backs, win a few high scoring matches last year and we have a new zenith of rugby for Reds fans. It's gotta be exciting, risk-taking and balls-on-the-block rugby. Funny, looking at the teams that win this thing, it is usually the well executing, conservative and accurate teams that get there. "Boring", "conservative" got the Tahs to the finals last year. 43-0 looks pretty interesting to me.
I see some irony there.
The irony is sweet.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Hmm, conservative stuff gets 7 tries and 43-0. I might be in the minority, but I'll take that, thank you very much.
For years, when Tahs fans suffered after year upon year of losing to the Reds, often when they coulda / shoulda won, and the Reds often played grinding, effective 10 man rugby more often than not, I would think you would seldom hear too many complaints about how conservative they were, if they were getting the results. And the Reds were.
Now, they have a fancy-pantsy 10, and some zing in the backs, win a few high scoring matches last year and we have a new zenith of rugby for Reds fans. It's gotta be exciting, risk-taking and balls-on-the-block rugby. Funny, looking at the teams that win this thing, it is usually the well executing, conservative and accurate teams that get there. "Boring", "conservative" got the Tahs to the finals last year. 43-0 looks pretty interesting to me.
I see some irony there.
The irony is sweet.

The conservative 'Tahs also scored more tries than the Reds last year. QC (Quade Cooper), in particular, adds an excitement factor to the Reds attack that probably makes their attack more watchable than the 'Tahs percentage based game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It won't be sweet for long Cyclo.

No, the irony of Reds fans bleating about the Tahs being too conservative will always be sweet, regardless of what they might do this year. After hearing so often how "it is all about the scoreboard" from Reds fans over the years, it is amusing that now it is all about "style". Oh, and it will remain amusing that 43-0 is considered conservative.
Let's face it, Reds fans will hate whatever the Tahs do, regardless of whether it wins or loses, but happily trumpet the Reds wonders, whether they win or lose.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i wouldnt worry about it cyclo, take out quade and the reds are quite quite boring, witht eh silly step its only a matter of time before he blows a knee

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
No, the irony of Reds fans bleating about the Tahs being too conservative will always be sweet, regardless of what they might do this year. After hearing so often how "it is all about the scoreboard" from Reds fans over the years, it is amusing that now it is all about "style". Oh, and it will remain amusing that 43-0 is considered conservative.
Let's face it, Reds fans will hate whatever the Tahs do, regardless of whether it wins or loses, but happily trumpet the Reds wonders, whether they win or lose.

The Tahs played an entertaining, dominant and well balanced game. Used the forwards to set the play and struck with lethal potency with their backs. For a supposed conversative team they scored 5 of their 7 tries through backline movements.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
i wouldnt worry about it cyclo, take out quade and the reds are quite quite boring, witht eh silly step its only a matter of time before he blows a knee
I'm not worried. I know that if the Reds win one game against NSW this year, they will be the Supreme Beings once again, and all the dross of recent years will be conveniently consigned to the dustbin of history, apart from that period where they consistently beat the Tahs, which will be repeatedly be held up as further evidence of their overwhelming magnificence.
If the Tahs serve up boring wins like that every week, I'll be quite content.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not worried. I know that if the Reds win one game against NSW this year, they will be the Supreme Beings once again, and all the dross of recent years will be conveniently consigned to the dustbin of history, apart from that period where they consistently beat the Tahs, which will be repeatedly be held up as further evidence of their overwhelming magnificence.
If the Tahs serve up boring wins like that every week, I'll be quite content.

i dont know where this comes from, this is a whole new competition, there is no past. we all start equal, but the reds are an up and coming team witch dominated the wallabies last year while the tahs havnt really recruited and are on a plateau, the reds have to go in as favourates in every game as according to there fans, we dont have a proper coach or a competent 10. how they can claim underdog is beyond me.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)

True (last paragraph). Definition of a fan.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
True (last paragraph). Definition of a fan.

Whereas some can appreciate good rugby, whomever may be playing it. I hope 3 Aus teams make the finals.
Reds fan - good season if they come 13th but they beat the Tahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.