• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

Jarad Butler is in there at the back too, and that looks like Ben Coridas at the front doesn't it? the rumours are true.

T

TOCC

Ok so far:

Mitchel Felsman, Simon Morahan, Jarod Butler, Ben Coridas, Johno Lance....possibly Ian Prior in there as well

and i thought the big fijian looking bloke might have been Tevita Kuridrani, but pretty sure he played Fiji U20's so that would make him inelegible right?

obviously thats not the full academy, there are probably a lucky few who were carrying injuries who didnt have to turn up

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Good on em - I'd forgotten the Race to the Roof was on at RBH today.

The record time for the event is 1 minute 20.9 seconds. This morning best time was around 1 minute 28 seconds.
The fastest Red was Academy player Mitchell Felsman with an impressive time of 1 minute 37.

T

tranquility

I can not quote exact times, but I believe that Mitchell Felsman is of a similair atheltic ilk to Rod Davies and has posted sub 11 electronic times. The reason I bring this up is that whoever beat him by 10 seconds in this stair climb must have been a fair athlete. Felsman played for Iona in the AIC competition a few years back, I didn't get down to any of his matches but lit the comp on fire scoring something like 15+ tries in 8 matches, good prospect.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can not quote exact times, but I believe that Mitchell Felsman is of a similair atheltic ilk to Rod Davies and has posted sub 11 electronic times. The reason I bring this up is that whoever beat him by 10 seconds in this stair climb must have been a fair athlete.

I'd be surprised if there's much correlation between an athlete's 100 metre time on the flat and his time on a stair climb which apparently takes at least 80 seconds.

T

TOCC

Yeah exactly, maybe we should be looking at the 800m athletes, either way, whoever set the time is obviously fit

You are right Tranquility in regards to Felsman been similar to Davies, the guy is pure speed, however last time I watched him play he was quite the unpolished diamond, he had speed but was lacking in other departments..I suppose that's what the Reds academy is for though

D

Doc

and i thought the big fijian looking bloke might have been Tevita Kuridrani, but pretty sure he played Fiji U20's so that would make him inelegible right?

He was my first thought too, but there are a few others around, even from his year, that you would think should be ahead of him for a spot. And unless the rules have changed, U20 does not make him ineligible.

red army

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes i think that is tevita kuridrani. I have heard he is training with the academy but on a 7's contract but i dont know if that is true. Also in the academy that didnt run i believe are Matt lucas, Dallan murphy, joel faulkner and Aidan Toua.

Also on felsman i heard he ran 4.78 in their 40m testing not so long ago. Thats pretty dam quick!!

T

tranquility

I'd be surprised if there's much correlation between an athlete's 100 metre time on the flat and his time on a stair climb which apparently takes at least 80 seconds.

without going into it, as it can get messy as I have learnt before. I think the fact that that he was the fastest member of the Reds squad, and the fact that he is obviously an athlete with a predisposition to fast twitch muscle fibers shows that their must be some correlation. Perhaps it is in the power element which relates to forcing ones mass up the stairs as opposed to running on a flat plane. As I said I don't want to go into it, but I think it rather naive to disregard his sprinting ability entirely in an exercise like this.

T

TOCC

Tranquility, I think you are out of your league talking about the theory behind sprinting with Bruce Ross

Yay Aidan Toua has been kept on (I hope so) what more does he need to do in order to get a pro contract

What do you mean, I think his lucky to have any kind of contract, when you factor in the other outside backs already signed, as well as the fact that Aidan is constantly injured, I had high high hopes for him, but was sure he wouldn't have been re-signed again

Benny Lucas is looking a bit overweight, he hasn't been able to train for quite a few months though I suppose.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Well seeing as he was a Aus u20 rep played well in the JWC, he has played for the reds A team since 2008 I thought the reds would be keen to re-sign him.

Tocc do you reckon the reds rate Sitauti, shipperley and morahan above Toua. I think he probably has the best skill set but as you say he has been injured alot over the past three years.

Maybe Lucas is going for the genia approach and henching up

T

TOCC

Well seeing as he was a Aus u20 rep played well in the JWC, he has played for the reds A team since 2008 I thought the reds would be keen to re-sign him.

Tocc do you reckon the reds rate Sitauti, shipperley and morahan above Toua. I think he probably has the best skill set but as you say he has been injured alot over the past three years.

Maybe Lucas is going for the genia approach and henching up
Toua did play well at the U20 JWC, however so did Sitauti, Morahan and Shipperly, those 3 have also had quite a successful year on the IRB 7's tournament and Commonwealth Games. I think the evidence speaks for itself, those 3 have all signed pro contracts with the Reds and have also gone onto higher representative honors since then as well. Without a doubt they have surpassed Toua.

I have long been a fan of Toua, in fact I think of was backing him to fill the fullback role vacated by Latham 2 years ago, injury and misfortune have struck him down, the Reds can't sign him on potential alone, he needs to start paying dividends or at least prove he is up to Super Rugby level before they can upgrade his contract.

Anyway, it's good news if he is still In the Reds Academy, he just needs to bulk up a bit.

red army

Bob McCowan (2)
I reckon toua does have a better skill set then the 3 we mentioned who are on contracts but the fact is they have been able to get on the park whereas toua has been on the sidelines. It must be hard for a young bloke coming back from a major knee recon but watching toua in club footy early this year he looks like he may be getting back some form. Did anyone else see that Aidan came 3rd in the player of the brissie comp after missing 6 or 7 games away with the u20s. Fair effort I think. And the way link coaches it would not surprise me if he uses touas footwork and xfactor at stages this year if he is able to stay injury free.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I have met young Aidan and he is a fine young man and player.

I hope that he can stay healthy for a long time so that we can make a valid assessment of him as a senior player. If he is good enough in a year or two he will make his mark somewhere.

PS - Still can't work out why they put him on the wing in the U20s instead of fullback.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Lee do you know if Aidan was close to playing for the reds before his first knee injury, seemed that after his last season at churchie that he was one of the top prospects in the country. Also were Sipa (taumeopaue?) and Tomane superior to Morahan at school.

For the JWC surely Morahan was better suited to the wing or outside centre the backline should have been

9 White
10 To'omua
11 Situati / Morahan
12 Coleman
13 Morahan / Situati
14 Shipperley
15 Toua

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Horwill tweeted recently that James Hanson won the first round of the Man of Steel/King of the gym.

A good sign.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Horwill tweeted recently that James Hanson won the first round of the Man of Steel/King of the gym.

A good sign.

I really like James Hanson, he was terrific in the ARC.

I have been scratching my head at how slow his rate of progression has been for a couple of years now and I was really hoping he could be enticed down to Melbourne for another go with another Rebel set-up. Alas, he wasn't and is apparently looking pretty good for the Reds next year.

Good on him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee do you know if Aidan was close to playing for the reds before his first knee injury, seemed that after his last season at churchie that he was one of the top prospects in the country. Also were Sipa (taumeopaue?) and Tomane superior to Morahan at school.

IIRR Toua was in the Reds Academy the year after leaving school and I saw him play a curtain raiser to a S14 match against the NSW Academy - so that must have been in 2008. He got a rookie contract with the Reds for the year after but couldn't exercise it because he was injured that season and had to have a reconstruction of some joint; I forget which. Then he accepted a demotion to the Academy for 2010.

I saw the Qld boys only in the national championships but I saw Zipper just about every week from the time he was 15 playing in the Joeys Twos.

As I said in another thread Tomane was the best player at the schools tournament in Canberra in 2007 but everybody knew during the week that he was going to the Storm. He was heaps better that Morahan who had a big reputation but didn't play up to it in the tournament. It happens a lot to good players as it did to Quade Cooper the year before. QC (Quade Cooper) hardly had a good game that year and I remember posting on TSF that his best attribute was his front on defence. I'm serious.

Zipper was better that week than Morahan but even then one thought he was a bit slow to play on the wing. Zipper and Tomane where the Oz Schools wingers that year and Morahan was in the Twos. Toua was the Ones fullback.

Yeah, I don't know why Nucifora swapped Toua and Morahan around from their natural positions either. Toua was born to weave his way through opponents and would be terrific in the current regime of the law crackdown which encourages open play and counter-attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.