• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I believe that's called the amateur academy? Either way I'm just quoting the articles written when Tessman was contracted.

It's a pretty big deal to go from completely amateur to full professional and probable regular Super 22 member in a year.

T

tranquility

He can do some pretty explosive stuff young Heath, I am actually really looking forward to seeing how he will go down in Melbourne. Against some of the weak touring sides, he was literally shredding tackles and making massive breaks at will. He has a very strong running game.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I have known him for a few years now and he was in great form for Uni til he picked up an injury. Has lost a heap of the baby fat he used to carry and looks quite the athlete. I think the pro environment will suit him will. There is the possibility of 3 Aus provinces having Qld Uni hookers in their match day 22.

As for Tevita Kuridrani, I think he has done well to get an Academy spot and it will be great for him. He scored some great tries for Uni Prems this year and seems to thrive everytime he is asked to step up. He is only 19 too so he must be a chance of playing at next years U20 RWC for Aus.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
what's his background Jets? Fiji Under 20s right? How long as he been in Briso? Did he go to school here?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Been here a couple of years that I know of. Played juniors at Souths and I think he went to Corinda SHS. He played Met West at the Qld State Champs in 2008 but was quiet and on the end of an ordinary backline in a badly coached team so didn't get picked in CSS. Mick Heenan has a high opinion of him and has played him for the last 2 years when available.

D

Doc

Been here a couple of years that I know of. Played juniors at Souths and I think he went to Corinda SHS. He played Met West at the Qld State Champs in 2008 but was quiet and on the end of an ordinary backline in a badly coached team so didn't get picked in CSS. Mick Heenan has a high opinion of him and has played him for the last 2 years when available.

I remember after school Souths Colts had him locked up, but as often the case there they couldn't deliver what was promised. He went to Uni for an academy spot and apprenticeship. Good to see him get picked up, just not sure he is quite there or even the pick of centres getting around in that age group, even Uni have a few others that go pretty well. It did mention in the article he was a 7s prospect so maybe that contributed.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He has been mostly used on the wing at Uni. In colts we put him at fullback a couple of times just so he could run the ball back. Plenty of work to do before he becomes something special but that is why this academy spot will be great for him. I can see him doing really well in a 7's squad. Not scared of the contact and is a big boy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
a couple of his tries were submitted to the G&GR try of the year comp, 2nd one just finishing but the first one showed some ability.

[video=youtube;ibeD_fkrO6g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibeD_fkrO6g[/video]

[video=youtube;im4rPSzNtDk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im4rPSzNtDk[/video]

T

TOCC

id imagine he has been signed as a prospect 13, that seems to be where he best performs, he doesnt have blistering speed but he does have good footwork and is a naturally big guy

Dave McDuling and Ben Coridas are good signings by the Reds, Bruce Ross has big wraps on McDuling, i think the roster obviously backs up Links comments earlier this year about utilising the Reds Academy as a expanded Reds roster rather then junior development tool. Only one new schoolboy has been added to the academy whereas in the past i think the majority of the additions to the academy were of the schoolboy variant.

The former England U20 prop caught my eye as well, whats teh story there with Kevin Davis? googled him but it looks like he went to study at Oxford after leaving school, how long has he been in Aus?

red army

Bob McCowan (2)
I also heard, and was a bit surprised, that toua Came 2nd in the king of the gym closely followed by horwill. Mighty effort from a smallish fullback.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reds Academy for 2011:

FORWARDS
David McDuling (Club TBC)

I think there is no doubt he'll be playing for Queensland Uni after being advised by Lawrie Weeks and because he's very much a Uni man.

But he makes no secret of which Uni he'd like to be playing for.

As an aside, as a payback for defecting to Melbourne, Lawrie was forced to play out the club season with QU instead of coming back to his home club, SU. Either way as it turned out he'd have been in a premiership winning team.

By the way I'm still searching for the reason why the big man is persona non grata with the Wallabies selectors. Surely it can't have been a "shat in Schlossie's shoe" type indiscretion. After Deans and Nucifora move on I still reckon he'll clock up 50 Tests.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bruce; I got the impression that Weeks didn't fully recover from his late season injury, and this is why he didn't perform well for Aus A Aus Baabaas or whatever they were. And I am sure that those performances cost him a spot. Weeks' scrummaging was largely solid for the first half of the S14 season, but he seemed to struggle after picking up some injuries.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thanks for the feedback, Ash. I was overseas when the misnamed Baa Baas fixtures were played so I can't really comment on what happened there. What I do know is that Lawrie is an excellent scrummager and is more than useful around the park.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Can one of the Reds diehards explain, the defensive structure the Reds used that hid QC (Quade Cooper) so well this year.
any stats I look at shows he was asked to do substantially less tackling than most 10's.
I know he shuffled out a bit in the defensive line.
But surely it is more than that?

R

Red Rooster

Can one of the Reds diehards explain, the defensive structure the Reds used that hid QC (Quade Cooper) so well this year.
any stats I look at shows he was asked to do substantially less tackling than most 10's.
I know he shuffled out a bit in the defensive line.
But surely it is more than that?

He played Fullback in defence in the Reds half (opposition running) Hynes played fullback in Opposition Half (Opposition Kicking so Counter Attack was on)

T

TOCC

I think there is no doubt he'll be playing for Queensland Uni after being advised by Lawrie Weeks and because he's very much a Uni man.

But he makes no secret of which Uni he'd like to be playing for.

As an aside, as a payback for defecting to Melbourne, Lawrie was forced to play out the club season with QU instead of coming back to his home club, SU. Either way as it turned out he'd have been in a premiership winning

QRU rarely let's Reds member play in Sydney, regardless of signing for Melbourne or not, Radiki Samo was a exception since he was only signed on a short term contract to start with.

It makes absolute sense to me from a QRU perspective

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
QRU rarely let's Reds member play in Sydney, regardless of signing for Melbourne or not, Radiki Samo was a exception since he was only signed on a short term contract to start with.

It makes absolute sense to me from a QRU perspective

I don't disagree, TOCC. but some players are not enthused. In fact, I have reason to believe that that was one of the reasons that Weeks chose Melbourne. As soon as the Brisbane Grand Final was played he filled in as water boy for Sydney Uni each game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't disagree, TOCC. but some players are not enthused. In fact, I have reason to believe that that was one of the reasons that Weeks chose Melbourne. As soon as the Brisbane Grand Final was played he filled in as water boy for Sydney Uni each game.

well good for Laurie for leaving. Happy to see him go if that's truly the case.

If you play for the QLD Reds, you should play in QLD.

T

TOCC

Yeah exactly, you need to offer something back to the grass root development in that area, maybe Laurie should have looked at the broader picture and realized that if he had become a regular Wallaby then club matches would have been rare anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.