• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I think Conrad will be able to shut CFS down pretty well. He is such a great defender.

The big issue for the Canes will be how Taylor and Savea play. If Taylor in particular can get involved I think Smith will be able to make CFS's life a nightmare.

Taylor and Savea were definitely below-par last week, especially Taylor. Smith is such an amazing reader of the game and not a small guy by any means but I'm thinking CFS may have the edge during contact. Most recent sets of stats from Ewen's mouth had CFS at 100kg+ and I wouldn't be surprised at all purely based on how enormous he looked during the Tahs game and I'd reckon he's still going to be one of the fastest guys on the pitch. CFS never really got the ball in space against the Tahs but the few times he got the pill he was manhandling multiple tacklers before going to ground, the lack of space to begin with kind of made it hard for him to do much else but tuck the ball and start driving his legs though. I think CFS may actually have world-class level explosiveness and that alone could give Smith and the 'Canes defense some trouble. I'd reckon if he can give Conrad enough trouble when he has the ball Smith may be forced to commit to CFS more on every play and may allow one of our back three to get into position to exploit Savea's weakness on defense.

On the flip side we didn't really get to see a lot of defense from CFS last week. He was wider than the ball for much of the match and the majority of the times he did have to defend the play was largely dead before it got out to him. I agree with you if Smith and the outside backs start clicking CFS will definitely have one of the biggest "trials by fire" of the season. I have so many high hopes for this kid though, so fingers crossed.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That's a hell of a wrap for CFS. If he was up against anyone but a guy who is one of the top 13's ever seen and probably the best in the world at the moment i'd be more confident he would get some advantage. He will be very good so I hope he is paying attention and learns some tricks from the master tonight.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have so many high hopes for this kid though, so fingers crossed.

Absolutely. I think he has the makings of a great Wallaby 13.

Hopefully he can shake off the recurrent hamstring injuries etc. The last thing you want is those plaguing you for your career.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
That's a hell of a wrap for CFS. If he was up against anyone but a guy who is one of the top 13's ever seen and probably the best in the world at the moment i'd be more confident he would get some advantage. He will be very good so I hope he is paying attention and learns some tricks from the master tonight.

I meant advantage purely in the physical sense, CFS is just an enormous unit with a step and acceleration that would beat most guys 15kg lighter than him. If he isn't keeping up with Conrad mentally he should definitely still be giving him a hard night in the collision zone when he's carrying the ball.

Absolutely. I think he has the makings of a great Wallaby 13.

Hopefully he can shake off the recurrent hamstring injuries etc. The last thing you want is those plaguing you for your career.

I can't remember if it was the press conference with Ewen before the 'Tahs game or an article piece but he talked for a bit about why they handled CFS the way they did over the past year or so. In short his playing load was managed pretty strictly so that the Reds staff could correct his running mechanics to avoid the persistent hammy injuries and according to Ewen they have been successful. Nothing is worse than seeing young stars burn out because of injury. On that note I'm really pulling for an injury free year for JOC (James O'Connor), I was getting worried about him last year with what seemed like a chronic state of injury.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
One is an inexperienced fabulous talent and the other is an experienced fabulous talent. There is little substitute for experience when all else similar

something

Jim Clark (26)
I think Conrad will be able to shut Chris down pretty effectively but thats only because Conrad is really really good. That being said if Chris gets space he will be hard to stop for any defender. I reckon if he is on his game he will be more targeted in defence and that will probably give Toua some space.

Either way i am really liking the aggressive backline and I reckon this game could be a try fest for both teams. QC (Quade Cooper), Taps, CFS, Toua, Diggers & Ships have all proven they can break the line at any time given the chance & if the support play is functioning & forwards are doing their job the reds will probably get the bonus point.

A little worried about the backline defensively and i dont think the bench is too flash in D either. If they are getting a little destroyed in D I'd throw Lucas into the back line somewhere (defensive flyhalf, attk fullback) as i reckon he is probably the best defender in the backs incl. reserves & put frisby on for toua? thoughts?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's the master and the apprentice (wannabe). Smith would be close to the best 13 in the world and is at a level we hope CFS can get to but I thing Smith would easily win a one on one battle, it's when he has to start covering for others in his team that CFS might get the other hand.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Yeah this has pretty much echoed my thoughts on all three players. The constant injury remark was a poke at Palu for already going down in Super Rugby this year. This is how I see it:

Mowen - does all of these things very well at Super Rugby level, hopefully this can translate to the test arena.

Dennis - can jump well, does a good job grafting in tight but has some serious issues physically imposing himself and not becoming a little anonymous at test level

Higgers - possibly the best jumper of the three but has got to seriously raise the level of his tight game to ever be considered for Wallaby selection again, also has serious issues bending the line unless he's running onto the ball from a pretty good distance and is also a penalty liability on top of all this

Higgers has another big advantage - he can run like the wind, I've seen him often outpace centres.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

So you rate Smith over Tuilagi for England who is massive in breaking opposition back lines.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Anyone see the blues v saders game? if rene ranger & the blues backs play that well he will give the reds a lot of trouble, that was unreal

armatt

Fred Wood (13)
Yeah, i get confused. Often the first guy in bounces off but slows down the ball carrier enough for the 2 or three that hit him next. Is that a missed tackle?
Yes, that's counted as a miss by the mob who do the Super Rugby stats that get sent to the teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.