• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I've been a member for too long to remember. And yes there have been hard times with low crowd numbers. This year I think every home game was over 30k. Is that right? I guess if the product is better and the tickets are harder to get then it's usually not long before the price goes up.

T

TOCC

I can certainly understand this point of view. I think the key to giving more people the chance to come see a game when membership demand is greater than supply of tickets is through a Stubhub type of facility.

Many of my friends who have gone to the US (usually New York) have got their tickets to basketball/ice hockey etc through this process.

In essence it guaranteed the members get access to the biggest games, but when they didnt want to or couldnt go they could recoup some of their membership costs by selling their ticket through an approved process. I have heard of a couple of cases where people got tickets for $5 and $10 US.

As for isolating families - if any team got to this level then the amount of fan engagement outside of the games needs to off-set the fact that kids cant get to games.

However this is all fairytail stuff. I cant imagine any Super team in Australia getting to this level. The Chiefs however with their smaller stadium might go close in 2013 if they market themselves well and engage with the community.

The 'Stubhub' concept is an interesting one and could definitely work.
Maybe if they could keep 5'000 seats available for sale on match day and then extra seats sold through the process you mentioned, like i said, i would just hate to see the Reds only become available to those who can afford the luxury of a $300-$500 membership at the start of every season.

T

TOCC

Luxury?
Family membership $390. 8 games. 8*4= 36. $390/36= $10.85 a ticket.
Cheapest tickets around.

economically speaking a luxury item is something considered non-essential..
entertainment like sporting tickets fall into this category...

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I only started going regularly in 2008 after moving to Brisbane. About the smallest crowd I remember was prob 17-18,000. To think that only 12,000 used go show up is amazing. Used to be able to go to ticketek 2 days out and have the pick if the platinum seats. Now your lucky to purchase 2 months out and get platinum.

Good problems for the club to have so this isn't whinging. Just a reminder of how quickly fortunes can change in a relatively fickle sports market. Talk of selling out with members only is very premature, even with continued success. Could be good to hear from PB or other Saffers as to member numbers for the Stormers or Bulls for comparison.

I've been a member since they moved to Lang Park & around 18k was always around the average, with a couple of exceptions. I noticed a lot of empty seats in platinum & ruby sections throughout this year.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I've been a member since they moved to Lang Park & around 18k was always around the average, with a couple of exceptions. I noticed a lot of empty seats in platinum & ruby sections throughout this year.

Noticed that as well. Go to Ticketek though and none were available. Put it down to members that could not make it to games.

A system where these tickets could then go back up for sale would be excellent. Members would benefit by getting something back if they could not go and QRU would benefit by selling the seat twice.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
The trouble is the family passes they sell are great, but too many games were on too late for the kids.

I reckon they won't sell as many this year.

I tell people to buy the family pass, the kids seats are essentially free. If people choose to fill the kids seats with friends (because the games are on late) that's cool. All the friends have to do is buy a ticket on game day for themselves and sit in the family seats.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Geelong Cats are a members only club and still loved by the masses of people in Greater Geelong + the Surf Coast + many Melbourians. There are similarities in both cases (both 1 team towns).

On a side note, I can't see the Reds becoming members only. If it ever gets to that it'll be unlikely they can maintain it.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Great news. Little suprised Rocket re-signed, he would know he is on the outer when it comes to wing spots (Shipperely, Ioane, Sautia, Morahan). He could of easily gone elsewhere and started (in Melbourne or Perth he'd be a certain starter). But good on him for staying, unfinished business I'd say.

I agree with you Tigerland. I reckon its two greats and one oh dear. He'll only get game time if someone else goes down.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Talking 40,000+ (ticketed) members may be putting the cart before the horse a little. I don't think we'll have to worry about that "problem" for a while! ;)

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was a member in 2011 but couldn't back up for this year (it's close to 2hrs each way from my place to the game) but will be getting a membership for 2013. Can't wait!
It is 2 1/2 hours from my frount door to Suncorp. Going to be doing every home game next year again. But then again I am a bit strange.....

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just with the talk of members - 'Members' is not season ticket holders.

There are several classes of membership ranging from full season ticket holders, through three game members, to Forever Red members who do not hold tickets to any games but get benefits of presales etc. So 40,000 members will not necessarily mean 40,000 tickets sold to every game.

L

Linebacker_41

It is 2 1/2 hours from my frount door to Suncorp. Going to be doing every home game next year again. But then again I am a bit strange...

That is not that strange. My wife and I used to drive 40hrs to Melbourne and back to watch 80 mins of rugby when the Wallabies and All Blacks first started playing at the MCG back in the 90s.

Oh to be young and foolish again!!!

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
That is not that strange. My wife and I used to drive 40hrs to Melbourne and back to watch 80 mins of rugby when the Wallabies and All Blacks first started playing at the MCG back in the 90s.

Oh to be young and foolish again!!!

You win. It is only 15 hours from my house to Melbourne, with two drivers. Don't ask How I know that....

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Can Confirm that Hugh Mcmeniman is back in Australia and the race to get his signature is now a 2 horse race between Force & Reds. Apparently his friendship with Richard Brown is a big factor in why he might link up with the force, but offer to settle at hoem in brisbane might be to good to refuse

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Im guessing he'd be asking for some big $$$ so you'd think the Force would be front runners here. Whether they think it would be wise to spend it on a forward instead of trying to lure some quality backs is the question though.

Is McMenimans playing style really what the Reds after? He does add a valuable lineout option but we always talk about having 'balance' in the backrow, does Hugh mesh well with Shatz/Quirk and Gill? I'm not quite sure. Id rather the Reds pursue a 'pure' ball running no.8, maybe someone from the ITM Cup? (it worked with Mike Harris)

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
According to my sources he isn't after to big of bucks he has made his cash in Japan and now just wants to give super 15 a crack.......Should go to force and maybe play some lock for them so they can field a team that looks like
Cowan
Charles
Manu/Maafu
Lynn
Mcmeniman
Brown/Cottrell
Hodgson
McCalman
Looks Like a decent forward pack to me with Wykes, Atkins, McCaffrey on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.