• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Anea was solid enough against the Crusaders. There are a few mixed opinions on him, and I really can't make up my mind on him either, but I think he should be given a shot. Can't be worse than Daley in the scrum.

I can't help but think they got the Prop to Hooker conversion arse about. Anea looks very strong at prop and Daley could have made a fantastic Hooker.

T

tranquility

I'd play Schatz with Eddie/Beau at 6. It would be a mobile and angry back row.

Sounds good to me. Add Butler and Mcduling into the mix as well.
Samo, just as he is at the Wallabies will be a bench player. A damn good one at that.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I really hope the guys look at the s&c that the sharks must have been doing. Their forward pack was very impressive, mobile and strong and cohesive. The work the reds coaches have been doing so far has been really good in terms of the cohesion part, but having just one Ozzie pack (ours) being also able to outmuscle when needs would be even better. Not saying the reds have been puddings, just would like to see them bigger and meaner.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Anae has played mostly prop for the Reds even when he has been on the bench as the reserve hooker. I think that he should be seen as a LHP who can cover hooker if required. I'd sign him as a prop and maybe give a EPS contract to Maile Ngauamo as a hooker for the future.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
I really hope the guys look at the s&c that the sharks must have been doing. Their forward pack was very impressive, mobile and strong and cohesive. The work the reds coaches have been doing so far has been really good in terms of the cohesion part, but having just one Ozzie pack (ours) being also able to outmuscle when needs would be even better. Not saying the reds have been puddings, just would like to see them bigger and meaner.

I understand the sentiment, but the Sharks had one of the smallest/lightest packs in Super Rugby this year.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I understand the sentiment, but the Sharks had one of the smallest/lightest packs in Super Rugby this year.

You are correct - although to look at them they don't look it. It is not the weight it is the strength - and I really mean harder. Earlier in the season (I think it was the brumbies home game) even the commentators were having a laugh at how fat the reds forwards looked compared to 2011.

W

What2040

Suppose it will have to be Jake Schatz or possibly the "blood nut" - cannot think of anyone else - shit what about Browning - is he big and fast enough?????????

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
With a look ahead to next year I would be keen to see this team play for the Reds

1 Slipper
2 Hanson
3 Holmes
4 Horwill
5 Simmons
6 McDulling
7 Gill
8 Shatz
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Tapuai
13 Fainga'a
14 Shipperly
15 Morahan

16 Fainga'a
17 Daley
18 Anae
19 AWH
20 Robinson
21 Lucas
22 Harris
23 Toua

I am assuming that we will have 23 man squads.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
With a look ahead to next year I would be keen to see this team play for the Reds

1 Slipper
2 Hanson
3 Holmes
4 Horwill
5 Simmons
6 McDulling
7 Gill
8 Shatz
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Tapuai
13 Fainga'a
14 Shipperly
15 Morahan

16 Fainga'a
17 Daley
18 Anae
19 AWH
20 Robinson
21 Lucas
22 Harris
23 Toua

There's lots to like about that team.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I know but he is something to behold in full flight. I have been a big fan since watching him as a schoolboy. I went to Churchie to see what all the talk was about Quade and left thinking Toua would be a superstar.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Especially when you consider that Davies, Lance, CFS, Quirk and Samo can all make a contribution at some stage. An injury free squad has so much to offer.

That's exactly what I was considering. The mark of a quality team is often not the players included, but the ones that are left out.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Chiefs props looked obese to me, particularly the younger one. They seemed to do okay.

Olympic shot putters, discus throwers, hammer throwers, and weight lifters all look pretty fat, or most of them do.

Not sure that the way somebody looks tells us all that much, frankly. Particularly in a sport where strength and power are very important.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)

1 Slipper Holmes
2 Hanson
3 Holmes Slipper
4 Horwill
5 Simmons
6 McDulling Quirk
7 Gill
8 Shatz
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Tapuai
13 Fainga'a
14 Shipperly
15 Morahan

16 Fainga'a
17 Daley
18 Anae
19 AWH
20 Robinson
21 Lucas
22 Harris
23 Toua F'Sautia

I think McKenzie see's Slipper as more of a tighthead (which I agree with).
Whilst I do think McDuling has the potential to be a prospect at 6, Quirk will probably get the first crack at it just because he played this year.
Chris F'Sautia is miles ahead of Toua, I think he will be keeping Shipperely on his toes for most of the season.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Albert Anae a loosehead? So I don't think we'll have two looseheads on the bench.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Slipper see's himself as a LHP but I am happy to swap him a Holmes around.
McDuling adds an extra lineout option that we need with the loss of Higgers.
I would like to see CFS have some time at 13.
Anae is a LHP but with both THP's starting they are the only other props in the squad.

I am liking the options in the squad with the weakness being a 13 and another Prop.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
We're looking at signing a new prop to replace Shepherdson I'm pretty sure, so I suspect we will get a new tighthead there. I want to see us use that marquee spot we have on getting a world class prop, or at least a giant Saffa, Argentine or Georgian.

Status
Not open for further replies.