• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

Sure. However griping about players, is also a sure sign that all is not well. Its one step ahead of bickering amongst fans, which is one step before the seams start to unravel. Generally speaking, as I can't effect who plays and who does not, I just back that they are working their guts out to get it right.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Critical analysis of the players by the fans is fine.

You'd expect the coaching staff are doing it as well. If they aren't, they shouldn't be coaching and selecting teams.

We all get your affection for Aidan Toua. Someone else suggesting that he should be dropped because he has poor ball security and makes too many errors is hardly unfair though particularly when they backup that assumption with evidence.

T

tranquility

Critical analysis of the players by the fans is fine.

You'd expect the coaching staff are doing it as well. If they aren't, they shouldn't be coaching and selecting teams.

We all get your affection for Aidan Toua. Someone else suggesting that he should be dropped because he has poor ball security and makes too many errors is hardly unfair though particularly when they backup that assumption with evidence.

Cool mate. You would expect it wouldn't you? I mean it is their job.

Tell me, how has the "critical analysis" of Tahs players gone over the years? Bred a united club has it?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tell me, how has the "critical analysis" of Tahs players gone over the years? Bred a united club has it?

This is frankly ridiculous.

Critical analysis of players and coaches has no impact on following the team.

Do you honestly think that it would have been better for the Waratahs overall if fans had not voiced their dismay at the tactics employed under Hickey and Foley?

I think it is much better for fans to voice their opinions than remain silent and just stop caring.

Kudos to you for having a snipe at the Tahs though because I dared to enter the discussion in the Reds thread.

T

Tip

The Brizzy weather must have gotten to us guys.

Tip thinks Turner has played very well this season and could be a bolter for a Wallabies jersey by the end of the year considering how bare the winger stocks are looking coupled with Tomane just returning from injury.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cool mate. You would expect it wouldn't you? I mean it is their job.

That's a bit unfair, isn't it? I thought what BH said was quite reasonable.

The criticism of Toua was objective in my opinion - he has looked dangerous on attack, but at the same time he as made a lot of mistakes, primarily losing the ball when tackled and defensive mistakes. You can't say that Toua has put up his hand and scream "I must be picked!" with his performances so far.

You can see the talent, but ultimately it's up to the coaching staff to decide if they/he can reduce his error rate. You'd think that he'd have been given a while longer, maybe even the rest of the season, but ultimately his error rate has been too high so far.

As fans, I don't see an issue with having an opinion either way on Toua, or voicing it if objective and backed up by evidence. I know you are a Toua fan from way back and have watched him play for a while, but bear in mind not everyone feels the same way or has the same attachment to various players!

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
There is nothin' like robust debate on a contenuous issue to get the juices going - bring it on I say.
Anyhow we'll see how Toua stands after how well his injury replacement plays.
Its a long season and there is always opportunity for the younger up & comings.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think Toua is our long term fullback but he needs to develop his strength which would have been severely hampered in the last couple of years. Those skills coupled with a good strong leg drive and core strength going into and through contact will be lethal.

It will come with time but in the mean time if he rides the pine from time to time, that won't hurt him either. I would hate for any young player to be given extra leeway because of raw talent - it breeds an attitude and sense of entitlement *cough* James O'Connor *cough cough* that can be damaging long term.

Build the guy up physically and keep him well grounded and he will pay dividends for years to come.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I thought it was a strength issue too until that drop against the Lions. Now I think he may just be allergic to the ball!

Joking aside, Aidan seems to carry the ball away from the midline of his chest too often and this may be a factor in him losing control of the ball in contact so much.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
There is certainly going to be mechanical issues that he can address as well but I think by and large strength is the biggie.
The biggest problem will be building strength without losing the silky hands and feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought he tended to lose the ball more when he hit the ground in the tackle rather than when he took the contact in the tackle. I was wondering if that was more due to holding the ball in an awkward way.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I just went through a few carries of his scattered across the past few weeks and including the drop before he went off against the Lions

He likes to carry the ball lateral to his body which is fine and more or less necessary if you're sprinting but it seems that he isn't bring the ball up and in to his nipple/armpit area early enough (which isn't fine) and he either takes contact or hits the ground with the ball away from his body and crooked between his hand and forearm. Add 1 egg and a tablespoon of oil and you've got a recipe for one big knock on.

T

tranquility

All I am saying is that, everyone on here knows how hard it is to play first XV rugby at schoolboy level in QLD. Let alone Colts 1, or Premier Grade, and then to get through all that and get a Super Contract is almost unbelievable how good a player you have to be.

Every bloke on our roster has done that, and most of them have done that in QLD. They are judged as the best players we have, and have put in and continue to put in the work to improve their performances. Fair enough if a bloke is dropping the ball to say he needs to fix it up, but to say nonsense like this
As long as they've got the skills to back up their talent, unlike a certain Fullback.
is just not really on from my point of view. Build the blokes up, don't knock em down.

I also don't really get the point, because surely if you are a supporter you want them to come good. But if you make such brash statements about them, clearly you don't want to look like a fool, so you are essentially backing against your side? Kind of counter-productive.

I am really hoping JJ gets a go this week, and think he is a bloody exciting prospect too. However I am sure he won't look like a 50 test Wallaby either, because he isn't. He is a rookie. So too is Aidan, who has played under 10 games over about three of four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.