• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not sure he is implying that at all. They would know what Dules offers at club level, presumably that's how he got a gig with the Reds. I think Tranquility was more perplexed at why he rode the pine for 80mins last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

tranquility

You're implying that they aren't even looking at his A games or Uni appearances.

Am I?

McDuling has been a standout at both The Red Heavies and Sydney University for years, other than coming back from injury their is not too much to learn from his club rugby output.

He is clearly a talent, and while Ed has been serviceable enough, a coach worth his salt would test the intangibles. Ie; how does club / training form translate on game day. Or even, our forwards have been pretty battered why don't we try some of the fresh cattle? Or maybe, let's keep everyone in the squad hungry for opportunity and give them a taste? Etc etc, all the reasons why the Reds came from nowhere a few seasons ago.

T

tranquility

On another matter the qru AGM was today. $900k+ profit pre-depreciation. About quarter of a million profit after depreciation.

Rare result in pro football in Oz these days.

Is the majority of that depreciation Balleymore?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Fuck that is a lot of depreciation.

Probably a good thing anyway. More depreciation = less tax = more cash flow.

As long as they don't have to borrow against their assets.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
They fired up in the second half. I am praying it is a start they will build on like they have after a run of outs in previous years.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Personally I would be inclined to think this is less than halfway through his first season as coach. Players have moved on and it takes time to firm up what is the best way for the team to play with the resources at hand. There's no place for complacency but to expect somebody to take over and have immediate success with a changing roster and style is unfair.

On the other hand I hope Woody blowing up in the media about refereeing after this game is just playing the media game and deflecting media attention. He needs to be looking within to see why we lost. If he truly believes that I am concerned and think we need to be looking beyond him.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
Yeah, he meant the Force, and they did have a few.

Thanks for clarifying that.
Having said that The Western Force hasnt exactly had Australias best young talent come knocking on our doors either so recruiting would have been difficult as well.
Devlopig our own stocks was always the right way to go.
Would love to see Justin Turner, Holmes and Haylett Petty on the pitch at the same time at some stage of the season.

T

Train Without a Station

Rough to bag a bloke for his recruitment to a team that is 4000km from the heart of rugby in aus, and in one of the smaller capital cities.

Based on that players are only going to go there as a second resort unless you can pay overs. They have to work within the same salary cap so who does it really leave you with?

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
Too many players are static when they receive the ball in attack. This is mostly the responsibility of the passer to put the ball out in front of a charging forward, or even better a small group of charging forwards. Body height and power into contact will bend all but the sternest defence, making it easier for the clean out to proceed faster and the ball into Cooper's hands in front of a staggered / retreating defence, to play that unique kind of rugby - touch hybrid game that suits his skill set. The reds are often playing one out runners, from standing starts, with more guys seemingly standing laterally waiting for the next phase. I think that it is easier to score from 2 to 5 phases for us, than from 15 to 20, so I say lets go for penetrative packs of forwards running together and blitz cleanouts. We dont have naturally offloading forwards. Dont worry about the future so much ...play the present phase with 100% commitment .Unfortunately it may be too difficult to change habits mid season. There are other contributors to this forum with more coaching nous than my modest junior stuff but I cant believe that the ability to pass the ball to the SPACE IN FRONT of a runner is not still being taught.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
My feeling from the Force game is that there's a lot of standing and watching for Cooper's miracle balls: he needs multiple short pass targets to be hit for several phases before he can throw those but a shortcut is being sought.

T

tranquility

My feeling from the Force game is that there's a lot of standing and watching for Cooper's miracle balls: he needs multiple short pass targets to be hit for several phases before he can throw those but a shortcut is being sought.

I think that is a massive over-simplification of the Reds woes in attack. Just remember these blokes are professional rugby players and understand that you must go forward before you go wide.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Richard Graham needs to go.

I'm all for giving a coach a 2nd chance but the fact he's been here 2 seasons being groomed under Link.. There was an expectation & he has failed. thus far. (still some footy to be played but not looking good)

There will not be a lot of belief in 2015 both from the players standpoint & from the fans if we show patience & give Graham another year.

Status
Not open for further replies.