• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Ok, you may follow it more closely, but as far as I can remember, Beau (and Ed) was coming off the bench for at least the first 6 or 7 rounds. Actually I don't think RG made much of any a change to the run-on or bench for the forwards until Liam was injured. ie: no one else was being bloodied. And true, while we have a bit of hindsight now to comment on RG's selection decisions one must also remember the team were not going so well in the early rounds either.

I pretty much even remember yourself, tranquility, calling for RG to give some other guys a chance off the bench early in the season as well. You haven't convinced me yet :) I still believe the reds failed to properly give other players/younger players/WTS whatever, a bit of a chance before being forced to include them nearly on the run on side due to injuries.

T

Train Without a Station

Oh yeah the selections were rubbish. Just kept trotting out the exact same line up yet expecting something to change.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Whatever else posters here may think of Alan Jones outside rugby, he was unquestionably one of Australia's finest rugby coaches and possesses a huge knowledge of, and love for, the game.

At last Friday's Churchie annual rugby lunch (where nearly 1,000 people attended btw), he was openly scathing re the current Reds coaching, believing such explained the poor Reds results this year.

Sitting in the front row were Jim Carmichael and QC (Quade Cooper). Hearing these AJ remarks, the expression on the face of the former was not recorded.

Healz

Frank Row (1)
Whatever else posters here may think of Alan Jones outside rugby, he was unquestionably one of Australia's finest rugby coaches and possesses a huge knowledge of, and love for, the game.

At last Friday's Churchie annual rugby lunch (where nearly 1,000 people attended btw), he was openly scathing re the current Reds coaching, believing such explained the poor Reds results this year.

Sitting in the front row were Jim Carmichael and QC (Quade Cooper). Hearing these AJ remarks, the expression on the face of the former was not recorded.

Apparently Jim Carmichael has gone into denial. Not sure if its a case of keeping up appearances or if he genuinely thinks RG is doing a good job.

T

Train Without a Station

That's the thing. We can't objectively judge Carmichael on the comments he publicly makes. He isn't going to come out and shaft RG even if he considers him the worst coach in the history of rugby.

At the same time when moves are being made they are not played out in the public eye. Perhaps they are talking to players and either they or the player do not want it known until the current season is over due to how that player's future competition would feel about it at the reds or how they current team may feel.

This applies to coaching staff too.

It's often best for the competitive market for these types of things not to be played out in the press.

That's why we cannot just assume inaction as we are not witnessing any action.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
That's the thing. We can't objectively judge Carmichael on the comments he publicly makes. He isn't going to come out and shaft RG even if he considers him the worst coach in the history of rugby.

At the same time when moves are being made they are not played out in the public eye. Perhaps they are talking to players and either they or the player do not want it known until the current season is over due to how that player's future competition would feel about it at the reds or how they current team may feel.

It's often best for the competitive market for these types of things not to be played out in the press.

Good points TWAS. But balancing those is that JC has clearly and regularly been briefing the QRU's favourite rugby journalist, Wayne Smith, that in effect RG is here to stay and further that the QRU/coaches are setting about correcting 'deficiencies' within the Reds squad by means of new (unnamed) recruits for 2015 that will only be announced at the end of the Reds' season in mid-July.

T

Train Without a Station

RH, I'm certainly leaning towards your views on the matter.

Just wanted to note that we seem to assume that because we don't see or hear something, it can't possibly be happening.

Reactions: gel

Healz

Frank Row (1)

Like I said mate, it may be a case of keeping up appearances but based on the grumbles coming out of QRU that RH mentioned - I doubt that will be the case.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Whatever else posters here may think of Alan Jones outside rugby, he was unquestionably one of Australia's finest rugby coaches
Depends what you mean by coach, because those of his time were not all unquestioning of his coaching ability—perhaps even including Jones himself. His record is plain to see, but many saw him as the motivator more than the coach. Some would say he hired a coach. ;)

And, talking of moves not being made in public, nothing really changes. Rugby politics was going on back then just as much as now.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I suspect that if RG is still there in 2015 and the Reds put in a similar performance then Carmichael's views will be very likely to have changed, particularly if the bottom line is clearly affected.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It certainly seems like RG is there next year. Maybe the change/s will be in other coaching staff (other than RG), captaincy, + some new talent (not with potential - but "runs on the boards" sort of players)

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Thankyou Parse, but I think you will find most Reds supporters have followed our fortunes much closer.

Curtis should have played more rugby earlier this season, but it was a judgement call that Dick made. Our excellent bench backrower, Beau, is a small bodied backrower which means that in order to play Curtis he would need to drop one of our other young large bodied backrowers and play a small starting loose trio or drop one of Jake / Ed in a direct swap. Both decision would have taken plumbs, and unfortunately neither option was taken.

Kerevi has been injured since preseason and literally could not have played any sooner. When JJ debuted he was practically our last fit outside back.

Playing super rugby in your late teens is the exception not the rule.
I don't think there would be too much of an issue with Beau's height, yes we lose a potential jumper but I cant recall a throw to number 1 position, a throw to the front would replace the lost option at the back.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McDuling is still the player we need to see more of. I have high hopes, but I have not not ever seen him play long enough to make an honest assessment.

Is he under contract for 2015, I imagine with Douglas leaving the Tahs will go after him.

Status
Not open for further replies.