• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I do get worried that Stiles seemingly played down the value of sports science to correctly to determine the training loads that makes players optimally fit but uninjured. Sure maybe it's ok to flog them but do it at the right time and in the right amount. Old school isn't necessarily better just for the sake of it.

Reckon there is room for a bit of both. Old school AND Sports Science.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think the strength and conditioning team should direct the player as to what standard of fitness they have to be if they want to get paid. Do fitness work in your own time.

Training should be on skills that will win us the game, if our players do not have enough interest to be fit then we will never win.

Obviously injuries can impact on this and has to be taken into account but if a player is fit then they need to watch after themselves, they are not children.

This is no different to expecting players to maintain fitness over Christmas and not return overweight.

s Hammer... said they train 2-3 times a day (certainly 2 I think). Surely a fitness regime can be fitted into the system early as the players probably don't have enough time to do it on their own.

Anyway, blokes smarter than me are running the show.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the strength and conditioning team should direct the player as to what standard of fitness they have to be if they want to get paid. Do fitness work in your own time.

Training should be on skills that will win us the game, if our players do not have enough interest to be fit then we will never win.

Obviously injuries can impact on this and has to be taken into account but if a player is fit then they need to watch after themselves, they are not children.

This is no different to expecting players to maintain fitness over Christmas and not return overweight.

It's surely a combination of both. Players are expected to work on fitness in their own time but there is also a substantial amount of it as a team, particularly in the early preseason.

Leaving any aspect of the team's preparation just to the players outside of training time is likely to result in that element being substandard.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I'm sure Stilesy will have input from all areas. He, at the end of the day, is responsible for the result in terms of win/ loss. He wont be ignoring good advice

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the strength and conditioning team should direct the player as to what standard of fitness they have to be if they want to get paid. Do fitness work in your own time

That is ridiculous.

If we presume a player can get the best out of rugby performance when guided by a professional rugby coach, why not the same for metabolic conditioning, strength/power, speed, and diet/skinfolds coaching?

It's all part-and-parcel of performance and should be part of a balanced overall workload by one system.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
We've now moved on from the 'gear' discussion at the nadir of the Reds year, to the skills and S & C debate.
I can feel a rugby season coming on. Just the first whiffs of it.

When we get to injuries at training, we'll know its just around the corner.
SIGH:(

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
We've now moved on from the 'gear' discussion at the nadir of the Reds year, to the skills and S & C debate.

If S&C isn't part of building a team for the season IDK what is.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)

a scandal is also probably due.

although this isnt loig so the airwaves will stay quiet...fortunately

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Reds need to do something different in the pre-season because whatever they have been doing in the past hasn't worked.

Maybe Styles just wants to prove that he will make a difference by doing things differently.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Media re L Gill's award, C-M link below. A Reds' Gala Ball 'cannot be afforded'. 12+ positions within QRU gone since mid-2016 (was RR referring to a D Herbert departure from the QRU above?).

Also this text re the IMO very unfortunate departure of Mack Mason to the Tahs FFS. If as the article states he was 'no 4 in line' re a Reds' 10 for 2017, that's a screaming joke. He's vastly more talented than J McIntyre.

"The Australian Rugby Union’s flawed contracting laws were exposed again on Tuesday when Queensland Under-20s flyhalf Mack Mason was unveiled in the NSW Waratahs squad.
Mason had a two-year deal with the Reds which included next season as did sharp fullback Tom Banks, 22, who has been swooped on by the ACT Brumbies.
Because both were on development-level contracts with the Reds, there was no protection in the ARU’s rules when rival clubs came knocking with a few extra dollars.
In the Banks situation, yet again the Reds or Waratahs have paid the costs of developing a player only for another club to sit back and poach when a year of professional training has already been invested.
Equally, the Reds had rated Banks as their No.3 fullback and Mason as their No.4 option at flyhalf so they both did what young impatient players most often do."
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...n/news-story/5c7700ee6a2b9172d3fc2352997fdbee

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
hearing a massive lack of faith in the new CEO to actually make some serious changes. However, he is hamstrung by the massive financial issues. Staff arn't just being made redundant, a number of staff have been leaving also as the burden of taking up the slack with no recognition, time in lieu, benefits etc takes its toll on near minimum wage workers particuarly in the memberships team. Apparently getting short staffed to the point of stagnation. Not enough people to do the work properly, therefore a small amount of staff getting bombarded so unfortunately its a sub par result and no money to get people in to do the work.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Truly hope the positive team news continues to flow, pushing membership interest back up along with $, even though for now the business cogs of the QRU are struggling to turn over.

Thank god they recruited some big names and ditched RG, otherwise they would have no hope to recover.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saw Stylesie on the news saying they were going to change preseason by doing more Rugby and take some of the emphasis of strength and conditioning. Hopefully this translate to more skills come Feb.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L22 using Tapatalk

They did a fair bit of S&C work in their first pre-season hit out. I think they'll combine the two areas, as others have suggested. It should be pretty physical skill work. But they need to do heaps on their skills, so I'm happy with that focus.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
hearing a massive lack of faith in the new CEO to actually make some serious changes. However, he is hamstrung by the massive financial issues. Staff arn't just being made redundant, a number of staff have been leaving also as the burden of taking up the slack with no recognition, time in lieu, benefits etc takes its toll on near minimum wage workers particuarly in the memberships team. Apparently getting short staffed to the point of stagnation. Not enough people to do the work properly, therefore a small amount of staff getting bombarded so unfortunately its a sub par result and no money to get people in to do the work.
a few on stress leave too rumour has it

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.