• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't doubt he may have an inside line and may well know the truth. The Rugby community is small here and seemingly everyone talks to everyone else.

It just irks me when people claim to know the truth and then speak from some self imposed position of authority but decline to share the actual truth. I just reckon it's a bit of a crappy thing to do.

I apologise, I'm sorry.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
RH
Largely agree with you.

Posters on here have varying degrees of "inside knowledge" and maintaining those "sources" is instrumental to receiving a bit more goss down the track.

I love it when some follow the "party line" in a thinly veiled attempt to influence the discussion one way or another for their particular interest group

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What I would say is this: when I quoted numerous 'inside' sources anonymously here in the period when in these threads there was assembled a coterie of posters convinced RG was 'developing well' as head coach and that he was a 'really good bloke' and was 'rebuilding the team' etc, and these sources of mine painted a radically different picture, then I was typically shouted (or patronised) down here as 'spreading negativity' but the general gist of what I was being told turned out be precisely accurate and correctly predicted the multiple RG-induced disasters in man-management, player selection and recruitment, and game outcomes that sadly were to unfold and have left us with the rugby equivalent of a nuclear winter.

Are you sure?

Back when I was just reading these forums (from 2013-1st test England 2016), I was pretty sure everyone wanted Dick sent out the door.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Sorry for the double post, but I think it should also be seen here.
Hamish Stewarts selection is interesting. I've been impressed with his form over the course of the U20s season so far. I think he has a very bright future. But is he really the best option for the bench flyhalf position? Do the Reds coaching staff honestly believe that he is better than every QPR flyhalf out there? When he returns for Bond eventually, will he even be playing Prem Grade? I know they place high importance on developing players through the U20s system and seeing them represent the Reds in Super Rugby one day, but there must be more experienced and mature flyhalfs out there. Paddy James has been in the NRC system for a while, where is his opportunity? I believe Sam Greene is in Brisbane? Besides, the Reds U20s are playing in the GF this weekend, wouldn't it make more sense to keep Stewart in the side considering how much of an asset he is for them? I rate him as a player, but I think he has been thrown into the deep end too early.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Name a better option. Paddy James? Has played some NRC but hardly stood out.

Bond currently have Vitori Buatava, a former Fiji international so ineligible for the Reds.

Norths have Michael Bourke, Easts have John Tibbets, Souths have Bev Tuqiri, gps have AJ Alatimu (also with nrc experience but hardly a stand out), Sunnybank have the aforementioned Jake Strachan, Wests have Richard Aitsi, and UQ have James Dalgleish.

No idea where Mitch Third is these days but I'd suggest only he and Dalgleish would be anywhere near Super Rugby level.

Plus you'd imagine there has been so mingling between Reds and 20s so some combinations there already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
With all due respect to Hamish, has he been the 3rd in line flyhalf option for the Reds this season? Has he been training with the main squad? Who were the City/Country flyhalves/playmakers last year other than Duncan, J Mac and Greene?

Also, where is Magnay these days?

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
No idea where Mitch Third is these days but I'd suggest only he and Dalgleish would be anywhere near Super Rugby level.

Bond have Mitch Third and Scott Daruda both back from injury this week.
Hamish Stewart would almost be 'Third' in line there.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
RH

Largely agree with you.

Posters on here have varying degrees of "inside knowledge" and maintaining those "sources" is instrumental to receiving a bit more goss down the track.

I love it when some follow the "party line" in a thinly veiled attempt to influence the discussion one way or another for their particular interest group

Its not even about that really, I am told many things by friends in Rugby, a few professional players included and it isn't about big noting "oh look what I know" its about a shared passion for our game and trying to head off looming disaster. That passion and drive to try and discuss the issues in the game and bring them into the open, however doesn't stretch to breaching trust with my friends who tell me things in confidence by dropping them in it. Some things I have been told will never be discussed simply because the content itself would identify who I talk to and I wouldn't do that to them, it just a matter of respect.

People can question the information, the motivation and demand the source as much as they want, but the fact is that the overwhelming majority of instances that Redshappy has made a statement that he has been told something (which isn't that often by the by) you can be guaranteed that such information is true and over the long term the predictions have always proved true and that should be enough for people to pause and really assess critically what is said with the aforementioned in the front of mind.

T

TOCC

What happened to Pettowa Paraka, he lacked fitness but was a pretty decent scrummager and was in the NRC team of the week a few times in 2016.. haven't seen him at Easts this season either

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm sorry if I offend and Kuridrani fans, but I am sort of at a loss as to why he is persisted with. He does not read the game well at all, and his handling is extremely suspect.

Frisby's form is perplexing. He's got a good rugby brain, and has shown in the past that he has the skills, yet his current form is diabolically bad (match losing bad actually). He is box kicking a lot, which I am guessing is part of the plan, but it is clear that he and his team mates are not PRACTICING it to perfection. The positioning of his pillars are bad, his lack of awareness of others around him is bad, the chasers are unprepared for when he is going to do it (it's not hard to see - he's telegraphing it harder than any player I've seen before), and his running game is gone completely (he used to be extremely good in support).

Hunt and Duncan are on fire.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
For me Perese is worth persisting with that much more than Kuridrani.

I've got to say - Higgenbotham is one of the most consistently impressive players I've ever seen at Super Rugby level.

He plays so confidently and always seems to make an impact on the game.

I'm hoping he gets a good go at Wallaby level this season and can finally succeed at that level as well.

The Wallabies definitely could've used someone with his skillset last season.

T

TOCC

Perese tries hard and love his passion, just needs to improve the technical aspects of his game... you may be right, that he is worth persisting with ahead of Kuridrani.

Nabuli despite his Yellow Cards is playing a level above those two wingers..

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Perese tries hard and love his passion, just needs to improve the technical aspects of his game. you may be right, that he is worth persisting with ahead of Kuridrani.

Nabuli despite his Yellow Cards is playing a level above those two wingers..

Wait did Nabuli get shown the cheese?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
No not last night. It was a rare feat indeed that none of our players got carded the entire game!

On Perese, I think he will be good in the long term. He seems to have a bit of a hot head at the moment though so I worry that he will be a risk of a card or two this season. He's already dodged a couple by my reckoning and hasn't played a ton of minutes.

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
I like reading these pages for the various 'snippets' of information that posters' post from 'sources'.

As was proved during the RG saga, most of what was speculated on from sources proved to be entirely accurate despite the under-current of QRU 'boosterism' that prevailed on these forum threads.

Out of that should have come a chance for a better 2017, but the QRU didn't learn the lessons and many of the same mistakes were/have been made.

There is something clearly wrong at Ballymore given the talent assembled and how collectively it has been taken backwards. You don't need 'sources' to see that.

Let's just hope that there is an honest assessment of performance happening at Board level and the Board and CEO have the courage to act on the outcomes of this assessment.

It happened with Eddie Jones and Phil Mooney however there seems to be far more leeway given in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.