• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
CFS has had plenty of chances. I've said it before that he seems demotivated, that he has "made" it. He needs to get his mojo back somewhere else.

Would much prefer Magnay to be brought on in preference. Bloke is as keen as mustard and if he continues, a big future awaits him.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Paia'aua has been pretty exceptional for Norths it seems. With Ant gone (is that immediately?) he seems the logical step up for the remaining Reds matches.

I'd love to see Kerevi steaming on to some QC (Quade Cooper) long balls out wide

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Talakai
4. Simmons
5. Douglas
6. Tui
7. Smith
8. Browning
9. Frisby
10. Cooper*
11. Nabuli
12. Paia'aua
13. Kerevi
14. Sautia (flexi contract means he's still around, right?)
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Fa'agase
18. Tupou
19. Neville
20. Houston
21. Gale
22. McIntyre
23. Magnay

I would probably go for Houston to start with Browning on the bench.

Maybe Kerevi at 12 and Magnay at 13

CFS back to Prems or First Grade

T

TOCC

We will just need to have cover for a few weeks when I assume Tui and Smith as well (perhaps) Quade and CFS may well be finishing off their Japanese commitments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFRU changed the season dates so that Top League and Super Rugby no longer overlap, though it does mean only a short break for those players who are playing back to back.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If you guys get Quade back I honestly think this is the best backline you could field:

9. Frisby
10. Quade
11. Nabuli / CFS
12. Paia'aua
13. Kerevi
14. Laolifi
15. Hunt

My reasoning:

Quade's biggest flaw is that he's often out of form, and I think these form slumps come from him placing too much pressure on himself, which in turn comes from the belief that he has to put the team in his backpack and create something out of nothing.

With Paia'aua (and to a lesser extent Hunt) there, he can share the playmaking responsibilities and inject himself when he sees opportunities present themselves, instead of trying to force opportunities out of nowhere (much like the dynamic Foley / Beale combo at the Tahs).

As for the rest of them, Laolifi has some real x-factor and can be the stepping / pacey winger on the fringes.

Kerevi / Hunt are the strike runners, albeit with deft hands and feet and a decent turn of pace.

CFS and Nabuli can then go looking for work and hang off Quade's inside shoulder, drawing defenders in the middle as they exploit any gaps and play the 'big man' wing role thats becoming increasingly popular these days.

I think thats the backline with the best balance, and a whole lot of attacking potential.

With the pack you guys can field in 2017, the team is looking absolutely delicious and only needs a good HC to take them to the finals.

The futures looking bright for the Reds methinks.

T

TOCC

Paia'aua has been pretty exceptional for Norths it seems. With Ant gone (is that immediately?) he seems the logical step up for the remaining Reds matches.

I'd love to see Kerevi steaming on to some QC (Quade Cooper) long balls out wide

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Talakai
4. Simmons
5. Douglas
6. Tui
7. Smith
8. Browning
9. Frisby
10. Cooper*
11. Nabuli
12. Paia'aua
13. Kerevi
14. Sautia (flexi contract means he's still around, right?)
15. Hunt

16. Ready
17. Fa'agase
18. Tupou
19. Neville
20. Houston
21. Gale
22. McIntyre
23. Magnay

This is beginning to look like an impressive team with reportedly a few signings still to come, the forward pack was impressive this year but should add a bit more of a dynamic flavour in 2017 with Moore, Smith and Douglas all pulling on the Red jersey for the first time.

Backline still has plenty of question marks, Quades signature is always an elusive one, but Kerevi and Frisvy are certainties with Nabuli and Hunt showing enough to earn another shot in 2017. Kerevia centre partner and the other wing are the big openings

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If Quade does return:

1. Slipper (c)
  2. Moore
  3. Talakai
  4. Douglas
  5. Simmons
  6. Tui
  7. Smith
  8. Houston
  9. Frisby
  10. Cooper
  11. Nabuli
  12. Paia'aua
  13. Kerevi
  14. Laolifi
  15. Hunt
  16. Ready
  17. Fa'agase
  18. Thor
  19. Neville
  20. Gunn/Browning
  21. Gale
  22. McIntyre
  23. Magnay

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Based on form this year I'd pick Ready over Moore - lacking the experience I know but so dynamic and strong at the breakdown.

Is Tui able to play again in 2017? Not sure if there is a time limit for the Japanese players - for the foreign marquees there is but I know the Japanese don't count as that - does anyone know what the rules around this are?

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Moore's super rugby form this year has been fantastic. Given his experience and, you know, the fact he's the wallaby captain id suggest he's the best option for hooker. Regardless of Ready's play this year.

Tui has signed for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Based on form this year I'd pick Ready over Moore - lacking the experience I know but so dynamic and strong at the breakdown.

Is Tui able to play again in 2017? Not sure if there is a time limit for the Japanese players - for the foreign marquees there is but I know the Japanese don't count as that - does anyone know what the rules around this are?

I think Moore's star is waning a bit which is not inconceivable considering the numbers of games played and his age.

Ready is the young bull who will find it difficult mentally to be on the bench in 2017 after having the starting spot in 2016 (and playing well)

However I reckon the old legs have another year of Super rugby (at a high level) left in them. That and his experience should be a positive for the Reds.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
They're supposed to be 2 years allowed. The Reds had Tui on contract in 2015 but he played one game due to injury. I think they applied successfully to the ARU to play on in 2017

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
2 seasons automatically approved. Any further seasons have to be approved by the ARU, and with the exception of Mattheson, who I think is in his 4th year with the Force, almost all have gotten their 3rd year approved but any additional years denied, at least since the Rebels have started, I didn't keep track of imports and contracts before that.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think Moore's star is waning a bit which is not inconceivable considering the numbers of games played and his age.

Ready is the young bull who will find it difficult mentally to be on the bench in 2017 after having the starting spot in 2016 (and playing well)

However I reckon the old legs have another year of Super rugby (at a high level) left in them. That and his experience should be a positive for the Reds.

Moore has been one of the best for the Brumbies this year Scrubber!

And if Ready isn't keen on playing second fiddle to Stephen Moore then I have misjudged the lad. Sure he'd want to be starting but spending a season or two playing behind Squeaky would be an awesome opportunity for such a young Hooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.