• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm not convinced that coaching success can transplant to the Reds/Australian Rugby where he isn't as well supported with player depth and skill.

He's Robbie Deans minus actual achievements like, you know, … titles. Deans-lite if you will.

Having said that, titles aren't realistically in the frame for the Reds in the next year or two. The QRU has to appoint someone to hold the big clipboard and direct the other traffic-cone wallahs.

If the Blackadder brings a near-Sader level of mediocrity and some stolen intellectual property to work without the likes of legendary old mate Todd Brawn then it's probably still a step up for the Reds.

The goal should be to make it to the top half of the log to start with. But don't give out a five-year contract with a juicy payout number, fergawdsakes.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think this is harsh on Blackadder albeit a real possibility and risk to be covered by the selection team.

It struck me that Link, had he been at Crusaders for years, would have built a team very much like the team that Deans worked. But otoh, had Di go been at the Reds the team would have been nothing like Reds 2011.

But where do you find coaches like Link or Cheika?

The list is the list. No doubt Blackadder could have an instant impact, who knows but over time like Dingo it could be a disaster. I suspect that Lancaster could do it with the right support but it would definitely be to dtep across Herberts area. My solution to that wouldnt be popular at the QRU so it aint happening.

From there lets see what the selection team does. I suspect we will be better placed than Force fans who are in the same boat.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Stop talking poorly about foreign coaches. If you had read Deans biography, you'd know he was the greatest coach Australia ever saw. Period.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
He's Robbie Deans minus actual achievements like, you know, … titles. Deans-lite if you will.

Having said that, titles aren't realistically in the frame for the Reds in the next year or two. The QRU has to appoint someone to hold the big clipboard and direct the other traffic-cone wallahs.

If the Blackadder brings a near-Sader level of mediocrity and some stolen intellectual property to work without the likes of legendary old mate Todd Brawn then it's probably still a step up for the Reds.

The goal should be to make it to the top half of the log to start with. But don't give out a five-year contract with a juicy payout number, fergawdsakes.

I do not think the top half is good enough. It is an expectation.

I think the goal should be to be in a mathematical chance of the finals with 1 weeks left of the season.

This season I thought we had already missed the chance of finals by March 5........It was a long season

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/reds-2016.15433/page-232#post-822868
I think tonight is the night that decides the season and possibly the coach.

If we lose we will be a game behind the Tahs and two behind the Brumbies. (apologies to Force and Rebels fans for not considering you)

In short this means to make the finals we will need to be two games better than the tahs and three games better than the Brumbies to make the finals. (If Australia have two teams qualify). I do not think we are this good.

If we lose then I think RG will be gone this week.

This is a must win even though it is two weeks into the season.

With the way the draw works you must win at least one game (expectation to win at home) against all sides in your conference or you are going to find it hard.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
From there lets see what the selection team does. I suspect we will be better placed than Force fans who are in the same boat.

We are praying that the old school tie comes out and it becomes "jobs for the boys" again and that we will actually end up getting the best candidate.

I think the positive thing for both the Reds and the Force is that we probably* can't do any worse than the two coaches we started the season with.

*I bloody hope not.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's almost the same thing.

Top half = 9 teams. Finals chances = 8 slots.

It is a similar thing, I guess the downfall in my idea of being a chance of the finals is that theoretically you could be 5th last and get a spot as the Australian qualifier.

The Tahs were in the bottom half of the ladder but had a shot at a finals

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So today could be the day. This could be an interesting thread later on

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
There's quite a few. "appears to be" and "is expected to be announced" statements in there but if anyone would know, it's Jim.

I have to say there's a little bit of me that is disappointed. I think I was really hoping for a clean slate so we can start again. Not because I don't think Stiles can turn it around, nor because I think he's not the man for the job. I just think they needed to burn the thing down and start anew. No carryover from the recent years.

That being said, I'm glad it's decided and I am, as always, optimistic about 2017! I'm so glad to have the co-coaches thing dead and buried and if the recent articles are anything to go by, Quade coming home must be all but a done deal now. He's really the last piece of the puzzle for mine.

2017 is the first year we get to actually 'move on' from the Richard Graham years. Fuck, that's reason enough to be happy.

WE ARE RED!!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some interesting snippets here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...as-candidate-for-queensland-reds-coaching-job

Chiefs legend Jono Gibbes has emerged as the fourth foreign candidate who lined up for the Reds coaching role

He joined former Crusaders coach Todd Blackadder on the list of seven, as well as former Test coaches Stuart Lancaster and Heyneke Meyer, former Reds player John Mulvihill, plus Stiles and O'Connor.

With the Perth franchise now under ARU control, head office will have a large say in who is tasked with turning around Australia's worst performing Super Rugby team.
The ARU are said to favour an Australian appointment, with names such as Scott Wisemantle in the mix in addition to Mulvihill and, presumably, the unsuccessful candidate between Stiles and O'Connor.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Just curious, does anyone know if Stiles put his hand up during the last 'world wide search' before RG was re-appointed? If Stiles wasn't good enough back then, what's changed in the 10+ months since it happened that made him the best candidate?

While I think Stiles may be capable enough, like Scoey, the Reds should have opted for a fresh start. Otherwise it still seems like a desperate move and the smell of failure still lingers over the organisation.

T

Train Without a Station

A second NRC title and undefeated season with a winning bonus point in 6 of 8 regular season matches perhaps?

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Sounds like the rumours of an extensive search of the Ballymore car park were correct, then.

Still, it could work. Stiles to HC and retaining scrum coach, Thorn forwards/LO coach, MOC to the Force and a new backs/defence coach appointed and Quade running the backline.

Doesn't solve any of the structural issues but it could paper over the cracks for a season or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.