• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Serving up another season of the same rubbish rugby would be more disrespectful than signing Hayne.

Hayne's lack of Union background would mean he'd have to spend time learning the trade. As a result, it would take too much time for him to have a meaningful impact and contribution to the teams on the field success.

If we've got a cool few $000,000's that we want to splash on lavish players, we'd be better off getting Giteau back from France.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
From the sentiments read above, I think Hayne's best bet would be to go back to mungo ball and keep his credibility as a good football player.
If they'll have him back that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hayne is shopping himself around. It is all about Hayne, Shit he WAS a great mungo player,

Whatever spin you put on it and for whatever reasons he "failed" at NFL and Sevens. He has no real background in Union. There are no guarantees that he would be successful (Like a Folau) and he ain't worth the gamble.

Would rather see the dollars spent on developing our own lads.

If he really wants to play our game, and they can afford to pay him he should be "forced" to head West.

I guess there was no guarantee when the Tahs signed Folau that he would be a success given he had failed at the previous code he played and was also shopping around.

I was a fan of Hayne the league player and thought he did some amazing stuff on the field mixed with being a Mr Reliable as well. He's young enough and has learned a hell of a lot away from league that IMO he's probably still capable of producing that again. If he does move back to league I think he should play 5/8 permanently.

On him possibly going to rugby, well every player is different and there is always a risk with signing any player. Some are just more risky than others when big dollars are involved - Sailor, Lote, Medicare, Cross, Tahu... The list goes on

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I was a fan of Hayne the league player and thought he did some amazing stuff on the field mixed with being a Mr Reliable as well.

My memory of Hayne in league (at least in his last few seasons) was that he was fantastic if he was interested, but you were lucky to get that for 10 minutes in a game

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Hayne shouldn't be in Union at all, here at least. But I do find his mungo legacy disproportionate to his deeds.

He was good, particularly in a bad team and state but never played full-back for Australia (even Gidely played ahead of him) and rarely for NSW (often had to move to wing/centre). Won the Dally M twice, both in bad teams where a good player with high involvements (like a fullback) will get disproportionate points.

Better than a lot of the league crossovers, but not in the same echelon as the Folau, Tuquiri, Sailors of that code/big gamers.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Hayne shouldn't be in Union at all, here at least. But I do find his mungo legacy disproportionate to his deeds.

He was good, particularly in a bad team and state but never played full-back for Australia (even Gidely played ahead of him) and rarely for NSW (often had to move to wing/centre). Won the Dally M twice, both in bad teams where a good player with high involvements (like a fullback) will get disproportionate points.

Better than a lot of the league crossovers, but not in the same echelon as the Folau, Tuquiri, Sailors of that code/big gamers.

I disagree. 2 Dally M's is still a great effort no matter what team you play in.

Also, he was also consistently a great performer at origin level. He was a big game player.

As good in defence, as he is in attack. A good distributor and can act as a play-maker. Can kick alright too often puts in attacking grubbers.

So IMO, he is a much more well-rounded player then Tuquri, Sailor, Folau - who aren't the greatest distributors, kickers, and some tacklers.

Tuquri, Sailor, and Folau skillset are really refined to wingers, maybe fullback or 13 at a stretch.

Hayne could have easily been as good as Nonu, SBW at 12, or a great 13 or Fullback. Plus cover flyhalf and wing. Being a playmaker with speed and defence has it's benefits.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hayne wouldn't cost as much as those guys. 3rd party deals and Japan would pay most his wage and the reds would give him probably what they gave goro, bout 200k i think?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I guess opinions vary. I remember one State of Origin series where Hayne was pratically man of the series on a losing team. I reckon he was in the top 5 players before he left.

Also, what he achieved in NFL seems to be vastly underestimated. To even get picked in a game day squad was a massive achievement.

I don't think the ARU should be splashing big cash at him, but the guy could play.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Has there been any mention that he might or wants to come to the Reds?
All of this chat has already been done in the Hayne thread and the Tahs thread.
It may be relevant to the Reds in 2017 but if say it's probably better suited to the actual Hayne thread for now?
I know there's not a lot else to talk about but anyway......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The speculation was that Hayne wanted to live in Sydney so the Waratahs was the only viable option.

I tend to think he would be a success in Super Rugby if he started with a full offseason (and perhaps some NRC in 2016) before playing the 2017 Super Rugby season.

If his start in rugby was a Japanese season followed by turning up late to the Super Rugby season having never trained with the side it would be a basket case.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I reeaaallly hope these rumours about Lachlan Maranta aren't true. The worst winger in the NRL.

A liability receiving kicks and does not have high-level speed.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Jeez 4918, if you think his old stuff is STILL awesome you must be one boring poster, along with your mates.

Even I thought it was funny a number of years ago but now "ho hum"

LOL. (that is Laugh Out Loud for you old codgers)

Maaaaate...... it has nothing to do with what I think is funny and everything to do with his character and what it says about him that he still tries to have a laugh at some tough moments.

Been enough depressing interviews around Ballymore lately. If you are happy to continue reading and watching the same boring player interviews and what not on RedsTV then good luck to you.

Chill out man

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
While I think his quotes are good fodder for the press (he's a good bloke), I think his best playing days may be behind him. He looked a bit predestrian in his 7's involvements and he needs to work solidly on the facets of the game that got him there in the first place

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Does anyone know how deep the QRU overdraft facility runs at St George? Based on the financials last year there was no positive cashflow and they ran operating expenses out of a debt facility. Explains why a social 3rd grade final at Ballymore cost $10 entry when the only people showing up were family & friends.

It will be interesting to see what impact the Rinnai sponsorship had, the new SANZAR rights deal and whether the Reds were able to keep costs under control (Losing QC (Quade Cooper), Genia & Horwill may have helped). The gate takings are going to take a hit year-on-year as well.

Is the ARU in worse shape? What would actually happen if the Reds needed funding and the Bankers pulled the rug out? If operations this year were funded by overdraft again?

T

Train Without a Station

Waterboy, from my understanding of the annual report, that should not be an issue in the short term.

In 2015 the QRU had Total revenue of $23,412,646 vs total expenditure of $24,896,342.

In 2014 this was $22,407,070 vs $21,471,552.

Revenue grew last year despite the drop in the Reds. Thanks to their pillaging of grassroots players through affiliate fees they are still making good money.

Where the loss of $1.5M before depreciation came from was increase in match day expenses, commercial expenses, game development expenses, team expenses and corporate expenses.

I'd wager that the vast majority of the job cuts were in these areas where expenditure grew from 2014 to 2015. Expenditure grew by over $3M from 2014 to 2015.

This was also based on total 2015 grants of $5.7M. With the new TV Deal this should increase by some amount, which will likely be what ensures they stay in the black, at least until ripping off grassroots players comes back to haunt them.

Status
Not open for further replies.