• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Under the conference set up, I think I'm right in saying that none of the Aus sides will be playing the Cheetahs, Bulls, Sunwolves or Stormers next year.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Under the conference set up, I think I'm right in saying that none of the Aus sides will be playing the Cheetahs, Bulls, Sunwolves or Stormers next year.

Yes, instead we will see them play the NZ conference. For the Sunwolves: be afraid, be very afraid.

N

NTT

Im so confused by the reds recruitment strategy for next year. I can understand signing Steven Moore to mentor Ready but in all reality Moore is in decline and will only get slower as he gets older sort of like Mealamu in his last few years, mainly picked on reputation. Bringing in Smith and Houston is also crazy seeing as its cost the Reds their two best backrowers who i would argue are better players and have enormous upside to them. Houston should stay in England. He is not even NRC standard. Smith, although one of Australia's greatest ever is in the same bracket as Moore. Would have been invaluable mentoring Gill but as a straight swap for Gill is ludicrous. Its cost Gill his chance to replace Pocock in the Wallabies for the next year or so. Curtis Browning was just starting to turn his potential into a good number 8. Scott-Young and Gunn are promising prospects but need a bit more time until we see their full potential.
Between Quade and Stiles the Reds have done well but the other signings are just baffling.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To be fair to the Reds, when they signed Moore he was in outstanding form. It's only in the second half of the season that his form has dropped away (although has improved in the last two tests).

I don't think it is reasonable to suggest they lost Gill because they recruited George Smith. I think the money they could offer Gill was dwarfed by what Toulon offered him. I have no idea what they are paying George Smith.

I have no idea whether Browning was offered a contract for 2017 but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Reactions: NTT

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Browning.

Irony gets lost on the internet. I'm sure Sully was tongue-in-cheek.

Browning is an interesting case study that's still a work in process. He was destined to be a Wallaby on the back of his U-20's play (and captaincy) but fell in a hole when he went to the next level up because his genetics meant he was 100mm too short for 8 and he was a bit light. He seems heavier now but still lacks height. His form has improved significantly this year but I guess the hard question was: how much improvement was left? He's the classic "notter". Not a 6, not a 7, not an 8.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I share an interest on how Moore, Smith and Houston are able to perform. I'm no where near as negative about it as NTT though. We need to see how it pans out in training and the pre-season matches.

They are definitely impressive names to have on the list, time will tell. Think we will be lucky to see all three rock the house down, but it isnt going to be three fluffs either.

N

NTT

Sorry it comes across as a negative post, i was trying to make points to support my baffledness. It just seems the reds are cutting off their nose to spite their face. It may turn out to be a masterstroke but it will only be for a limited time. I just think the Reds had a better future with Ready, Gill and Browning with Lukhan Tui, Scott-Young, Gunn and a few others from the side taht took out the Super U/20s.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So Shatzy is still in town. I thought he'd be in France (or wherever) with Gilly, Curtis etc.

Anything more to it does anyone know?
f8e55649fc7b21005f5d0acb51a1811f.jpg

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sorry it comes across as a negative post, i was trying to make points to support my baffledness. It just seems the reds are cutting off their nose to spite their face. It may turn out to be a masterstroke but it will only be for a limited time. I just think the Reds had a better future with Ready, Gill and Browning with Lukhan Tui, Scott-Young, Gunn and a few others from the side taht took out the Super U/20s.

You make fair points, but a) I reckon Moore will start for 2017 and then ride the pine for 2018 onwards, and I reckon Gill will return in 2019 replacing Smith. As for Houston his NH form warranted interest - posters here have stated they wanted him back. To replace Houston - Caleb Timu can fill that role (if only Lolo stayed - a 2019 backrow of Korczyk @ 6, Gill/Gunn @ 7 and Lolo @ 8 would be awesome)

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
To be fair to the Reds, when they signed Moore he was in outstanding form. It's only in the second half of the season that his form has dropped away (although has improved in the last two tests).

I don't think it is reasonable to suggest they lost Gill because they recruited George Smith. I think the money they could offer Gill was dwarfed by what Toulon offered him. I have no idea what they are paying George Smith.

I have no idea whether Browning was offered a contract for 2017 but I'd be surprised if they didn't.
I thought Moore was the right choice to have the C beside his name with the Wallabies, but he would not be the first athlete to have form/performance decline with the responsibility of captaincy. I still believe he had a lot to offer. For the Reds sake I hope this is true.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
If Schatz had picked up a contract in europe he would be playing already, Also if he was playing in Japan he would be there also. Perhaps injured?

Being photographed in Reds gear tells me he is still fulfilling his current contractual commitments to the Reds. This would suggest that either due to a lack of interest and/or injury, he has not received a contract to Europe, Japan or perhaps not even another Aussie team (can't think of anyone with space).

I thought the Reds had released him, but obviously not, perhaps they are just letting him remain until the end of his contract and he will try again to go overseas next year.

Orrrrrr he is on a modified training contract at the reds and will still be in and around the place. Great clubman to have to call on, never made mistakes just didn't offer the impact. Great lineout, workrate player to have as a foil to the impact style play of Timu, Tui and Houston.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
What worries me about Moore is that he'll treat the Reds like a retirement plan.
He'll use his experience but will only provide low marks on enthusiasm & energy. Just enough to keep his jersey through the season.
I hope that if Stiles sees him not performing to his maximum, then benching him or even dropping him from a game or two. That should restart his battery.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Moore was the right choice to have the C beside his name with the Wallabies, but he would not be the first athlete to have form/performance decline with the responsibility of captaincy. I still believe he had a lot to offer. For the Reds sake I hope this is true.

I hope that "C" is nowhere near him for the Reds.

Unfortunately for Moore he now has a bad reputation for arguing with referees and we don't want that coming into our games.

I actually think that the Reds could initiate some type of "respect the ref" scheme through the season and just accept everything on the field and never argue. This may actually stat getting us the 50/50 calls.

If I recall correctly in QC (Quade Cooper)'s last season he got called for a lot of forward passes that were line ball, this was not happening in previous seasons and the passes looked the same to me.

I like Slipper as captain as he seems to be accepting of decisions and I think this will be appreciated by the refs.

Status
Not open for further replies.