• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I actually think the kicks were the right idea just poorly executed.. When you have rushing defence like the Stormers they present space in behind, a few well placed kicks with a good chase will make the defensive line second guess their line speed and force them to hold back a bit. And thats what Jono and Duncan were trying to do in the first 30, the kicks were just poorly executed.

Also against rushing defence you're probably better off focussing on the inside balls and unders lines rather then sending it wide, for a good example of an unders line watch Daugunu's last try. Defenders shooting up and out in that blitz umbrella style leave themselves vulnerable for playings coming back on the inside line, that probably wasn't utilised as much as it should have.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Re: kicks. I would be happy if the reds shelved the box kick until it is perfected at practice. Too often it results in points for the opposition due to either the kick being poor, or the chase being poor (or both). If points aren't scored by the opposition, then we always end up in a worse position.

I see other teams execute it well, so it's clearly a solid tactic - we just don't do it well enough for it to exist in our playback.

IMO.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Quick look at the stats up to round 6.

Last in the comp for tries scored
Most penalty goals kicked

Fewest offside penalties conceded
First in the comp for tackles resulting in a turnover
Third for total kicks, lineouts, and scrum penalties conceded

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We shouldn’t kid ourselves about the Reds. The box kick and kicking in general WAS the right idea, but largely due to a tough tour AND because we are one dimensional with a good line out.

And in this case the Stormers did the kicking game much better.

On the whole fans seem content with the team starch and of course a few wins.

I suspect the game plan will need to morph into something more sophisticated in time.

T

TOCC

I feel bad for Paia’aua, but I think Stewart would offer a better option at 12 then him.

Stewart played 12 a few times during the NRC, and arguably played better there then at 5/8. He ran the ball hard, was staunch in defence and was able to float into the play maker position easily.

Paia’aua seems to play a bit too laterally, Reds are playing a style which needs a direct centre pairing, but they also need a second playmaker to help take defensive pressure off lance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It surprises me that you suggest a second playmaker maker will reduce the defensive pressure off Lance. What am I missing here TOOC? I get it helps in attack, but in D don't you need good defenders? Whilst I note the earlier discussion (game thread?) that showed Kerevi let down in defence on one occasion by Duncan, on the whole I would rate Duncan well ahead of (an improving) Kerevi in defence.

In terms of attack - I'd love to see a second playmaker on board. It might however make Stewart's transition back to 10 next year a touch more problematic.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It surprises me that you suggest a second playmaker maker will reduce the defensive pressure off Lance. What am I missing here TOOC? I get it helps in attack, but in D don't you need good defenders? Whilst I note the earlier discussion (game thread?) that showed Kerevi let down in defence on one occasion by Duncan, on the whole I would rate Duncan well ahead of (an improving) Kerevi in defence.

In terms of attack - I'd love to see a second playmaker on board. It might however make Stewart's transition back to 10 next year a touch more problematic.

Something that hasn't been mooted is moving Lance to 12 and Stewart (maybe Paia'aua) starting at 10? We have centers coming out our ears (Kerevi, CFS, Perese, Paia'aua, Stewart, Lucas could all play either 12 or 13); but we only really have 2 10's (Lance and Stewart, maybe Paia'aua), and Lance is leaving us next year, so we need to get someone comfortable playing 10 at Super Rugby level before the end of the season.

I still think the best solution is 9) Tuttle, 10) Stewart, 11) Daugunu, 12) Paia'aua, 13) Kerevi, 14) Toua, 15) Lance (Perese and CFS on the bench), but maybe Lance at 12 is viable and will help ameliorate the problem.

I think it's pretty clear most everyone agrees the backline isn't quiet meshing ideally. And it's only becoming more of an issue that we need to find someone who isn't Lance to play 10 for next year (likely Paia'aua or Stewart).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Right now I'd rate a centre pairing of Kerevi-CFS well ahead of DP-Kerevi. DP waas scratchy, no doubt that would change, but it would be hard to leave CFS on the pine right now.

Stewart shouldn't be our starting 10 at the moment. Feed him game time as we can.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
What a shock - young guy gets dropped out of the blue when there was literally nothing wrong with what he was doing and when he is given a chance afterwards, his form and confidence is down.

Amazing.

T

TOCC

The opposition defensive pressure targeting Lance...

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like Kerevi at Inside Centre. Think it hides his defensive liabilities by having a excellent defender at the 10 and then 2x extra guys to out wide from him in 13 & 11/14 to pick up any overlap issues and defending them. I have seen some suggest his defending better this year but thought he had a poor game on weekend from Defensive alignment standpoint.

Kerevi is such a devastating ball runner. love his passion for not shying away from contact. just wish he'd learn to pass it now and then.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Did anyone else note how good Scott Gale looked on the weekend. A class above at St Lucia I thought.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Did anyone else note how good Scott Gale looked on the weekend. A class above at St Lucia I thought.

What happened to him? He started IIRC in that surprise thumping of the Highlanders a few years ago went alright, but now seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. (From a reds squad perspective)

Status
Not open for further replies.