• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
When Tuttle returns he should take over the goalkicking.

Would be interesting to see this backline:

9. Tuttle (gk)
10. Stewart
11. Perese
12. Kerevi
13. Sautia
14. Daugunu
15. Lance/Lucas

21. Sorovi
22. Paia'aua
23. Petaia

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lance was 15 when they won with Quade at 10 wasn't he?

Excellent as either last line of defence, or used to defend at 10 so Quade could counter. Had a tactical boot option, and also used as the 2nd playmaker as the link out wide, or used as the 1st distributor so Quade could open it up further out wide.

I think Tuttle is on the out as unlike sorovi and mcdermott, he doesn't offer any form of attacking threat which detracts attention from the primary playmaker. I don't think Lucas is either but Lucas is a better director of forwards.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well, yes. I am so over moron deadshits who treat 10=goalkicker like it's law of nature.

Having a good goal kicker is a law of rugby success, my friend. If it is not the 10, it has to be somebody. Otherwise it is very difficult to beat good teams.

Good kicking out of hand, restarts, et al. Like it or not, they are all pivotal to success in this game. Moron deadshits usually understand this. It is a lot better to get 7 points for a try, than 5. Ditto it is much better to get 3 points from a penalty goal than 0.

What is moronic about this?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Having a good goal kicker is a law of rugby success, my friend. If it is not the 10, it has to be somebody. Otherwise it is very difficult to beat good teams.

Good kicking out of hand, restarts, et al. Like it or not, they are all pivotal to success in this game. Moron deadshits usually understand this. It is a lot better to get 7 points for a try, than 5. Ditto it is much better to get 3 points from a penalty goal than 0.

I think they are saying the idea that your 10 must be the kicker is moronic for instance the Reds have Tuttle, Lucas, Daugunu, Lance and Paia'aua, all capable kickers. And it's not like Stewart is completely incapable -- he took two from out wide and then gave the tee to Daugunu.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Having a good goal kicker is a law of rugby success, my friend.
Irrelevant to what he said.
If it is not the 10, it has to be somebody.
Correct, but that's not contrary to what he said.
Otherwise it is very difficult to beat good teams.

Good kicking out of hand, restarts, et al. Like it or not, they are all pivotal to success in this game.
Moron deadshits usually understand this.
It is a lot better to get 7 points for a try, than 5.
Ditto it is much better to get 3 points from a penalty goal than 0.

The fact that you wrote a lot of text that was irrelevant to what he said.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
How good are the Reds, never doubted them on the win over Lions,

What I am impressed with is success of blooding youth - 11 players less than 21 I heard Brad Thorn say. In many ways the more I understand his decision with Quade. Sure probably Quade still very good player but not the long term answer as unlikely to really improve much given seasons past and better to blood younger players and build the next generation seems to be the thinking. And you what I think it is working...ok I don't expect Reds to top the conference this year but they look to be respectable and more importantly blood and build a very good young team of generation next that could continue to improve and do better in seasons ahead.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
What I am impressed with is success of blooding youth - 11 players less than 21 I heard Brad Thorn say. In many ways the more I understand his decision with Quade. Sure probably Quade still very good player but not the long term answer as unlikely to really improve much given seasons past and better to blood younger players and build the next generation seems to be the thinking. And you what I think it is working.ok I don't expect Reds to top the conference this year but they look to be respectable and more importantly blood and build a very good young team of generation next that could continue to improve and do better in seasons ahead.

Blooding youth can be done with experienced older players around them. Jono Lance is 27 - Quade is 30. Kane Douglas, James Slipper, Aidan Toua, George Smith - these are not young guys - their experience is valued so why not QC (Quade Cooper)'s? If Lance adds so much more than Quade then all power to him, but apart from defence I can't see it.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
What I am impressed with is success of blooding youth - 11 players less than 21 I heard Brad Thorn say. In many ways the more I understand his decision with Quade. Sure probably Quade still very good player but not the long term answer as unlikely to really improve much given seasons past and better to blood younger players and build the next generation seems to be the thinking. And you what I think it is working.ok I don't expect Reds to top the conference this year but they look to be respectable and more importantly blood and build a very good young team of generation next that could continue to improve and do better in seasons ahead.

I would agree with this more if we weren't playing Lucas, Lance, and Toua 70+ minuets a game (not Lucas) when we have Hamish Stewart, Duncan Paia'aua, and James Tuttle getting minimal game time.

I'm in two minds about it, but ultimately I feel like as a coach you should be trying to find game time for guys like Stewart, Paia'aua etc.

Regarding Quade he could have easily played 10/15 with Stewart or we could have had the exact same setup as to what we have now with Lance -- except Quade is here next year if we need him. Lance is in England, I'm pretty sure however you cut it Quade makes more sense if there aren't any outside forces.

Blooding youth can be done with experienced older players around them. Jono Lance is 27 - Quade is 30. Kane Douglas, James Slipper, Aidan Toua, George Smith - these are not young guys - their experience is valued so why not QC (Quade Cooper)'s? If Lance adds so much more than Quade then all power to him, but apart from defence I can't see it.

I don't see how we can not start Stewart again his defence was probably the best I've seen from a Super Rugby 10, and our backline looked competent. I'm not saying Stewart is perfect, far from it -- he kicked it too much, and could do with a little more confidence in himself, but he's at minimum no worse than Lance. And being 19/20 has gotta count for something!

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I don't see how we can not start Stewart again his defence was probably the best I've seen from a Super Rugby 10, and our backline looked competent. I'm not saying Stewart is perfect, far from it -- he kicked it too much, and could do with a little more confidence in himself, but he's at minimum no worse than Lance. And being 19/20 has gotta count for something!

Thorn has said in an article I read tonight that when fit Lance will be his starting 10.... I like Stewart and he has plenty of potential and will be our long term 10 but no point in burning him out or throwing unrealistic expectations and comments (i.e. best defence by 10 in super rugby) after one good game. I wouldn't be too unhappy (if Lance and other halves are fit) if he disappears for a few weeks to go play the U20 World Cup - alternatively would be happy for him to stay in play back up at the Reds and as Thorn himself has said "pay his dues" as an understudy.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Thorn has said in an article I read tonight that when fit Lance will be his starting 10.. I like Stewart and he has plenty of potential and will be our long term 10 but no point in burning him out or throwing unrealistic expectations and comments (i.e. best defence by 10 in super rugby) after one good game. I wouldn't be too unhappy (if Lance and other halves are fit) if he disappears for a few weeks to go play the U20 World Cup - alternatively would be happy for him to stay in play back up at the Reds and as Thorn himself has said "pay his dues" as an understudy.

Given our next game is against the Sunwolves and that just about everyone has been coming back via the bench it would make a lot of sense to keep Stewart in the 10 jersey for that game with Lance coming in (likely replacing the fullback) to then resume his starting spot the week after against the Hurricanes. But the idea of 'burning him out' when he has played 165 minuets (80 odd of those in the last game) is laughable at this point. Sure there are games you want to shield him from (like the Hurricanes) but like I said you should really be looking to find guys like Stewart (Timu, Paia'aua etc. minuets) not playing Lance and Toua 80 minuets a game. The very young Rodda and Timu have some of the highest minuets of anyone in the Reds squad yet no one is calling for them to be brought on slowly, sure we might not have the choice due to injuries, but I think it was pretty plain to see that the Hamish Stewart we saw against the Lions (maybe he had a blinda) is better than the Jono Lance we've been getting week in week out, and at a minimum Stewart would give us more than Toua has in the last few weeks.

At some point Stewarts gotta adapt to playing 20 odd games a season same as ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and co, why not this season aiming him to play a half a game if you can find the time. I think right now we are putting too much energy into winning right now, because let's face it we aren't going to be winning any finals games this season even if somehow we do make it to finals.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Thorn has said in an article I read tonight that when fit Lance will be his starting 10.. I like Stewart and he has plenty of potential and will be our long term 10 but no point in burning him out or throwing unrealistic expectations and comments (i.e. best defence by 10 in super rugby) after one good game. I wouldn't be too unhappy (if Lance and other halves are fit) if he disappears for a few weeks to go play the U20 World Cup - alternatively would be happy for him to stay in play back up at the Reds and as Thorn himself has said "pay his dues" as an understudy.
I’ve got to say I think this would be a mistake by Thorn. Stewart by no means killed it, but I thought he showed enough to be retained as a starter in front of Lance.

But, if Thorn won’t start him I hope he lets him go back and play some premier grade. Young blokes need to be playing. Not getting 10 minutes off the Bench every week.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)

You guys are missing the point! Quade does have experience and genuine skills in the rugby arts............but, BT obviously believes other areas of Quades game detract enough to take the shine off those areas. His decision, please don't continually bring it up

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
So Tuttle is playing club rugby this weekend.

Amazing to me how you can have a healthy Tuttle in clubland and then a Ben Lucas starting at 9 for the Reds.

Are the Coaches watching the same game as the rest of us? I hope this is simply just a case of Tuttle getting match fitness back at clubland for GPS and eventually taking over Lucas job because old man Benny provides the Reds next to nothing In My Opinion!

Don't often disagree with you X, but on this occasion I must. Too many bag the older experienced guys, Smith, Lucas and Lance, but gee they bring other qualities to the team. On this point Lucas directs the team much better than Tuttle, he's barking instructions behind the pack and they seem to respond, he defends much better and this is an area that is critical to team success. His is super competitive (got a couple of turnovers) and he is game aware which helps greatly, but I feel his fitness is below par. Thorn obviously is working on that as I think it is improving (I don't think he played much under Jake in Japan). Same with George, fitness not the best but brings other things to the table

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
their experience is valued so why not QC (Quade Cooper)'s? If Lance adds so much more than Quade then all power to him, but apart from defence I can't see it.

It was pretty evident why QC (Quade Cooper) isn't being picked in the squad with how Stewart played.

1) That step Hamish did to almost score a try - QC (Quade Cooper) hasn't been able to replicate his light feet ever since his 2011 ACL injury
2) 14.... That's the amount of tackles HS made, 2-3 of them were dominant tackles. I don't think QC (Quade Cooper) would have similar stats even if you took an entire season.

So, you have QC (Quade Cooper) being out played by Stewart in his running and defensive aspect of the games.

Prior to Lance and Lucas being signed, I was in the same camp, that Thorn should have incorporated QC (Quade Cooper) into the squad. But, I understand why you wouldn't include him. He's a guy in his 30's, that still has fundamental skill issues who hasn't bothered to correct it in over 12 years of professional sport. So, why bother wasting your time?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It was pretty evident why QC (Quade Cooper) isn't being picked in the squad with how Stewart played.

1) That step Hamish did to almost score a try - QC (Quade Cooper) hasn't been able to replicate his light feet ever since his 2011 ACL injury
2) 14.. That's the amount of tackles HS made, 2-3 of them were dominant tackles. I don't think QC (Quade Cooper) would have similar stats even if you took an entire season.

So, you have QC (Quade Cooper) being out played by Stewart in his running and defensive aspect of the games.

Prior to Lance and Lucas being signed, I was in the same camp, that Thorn should have incorporated QC (Quade Cooper) into the squad. But, I understand why you wouldn't include him. He's a guy in his 30's, that still has fundamental skill issues who hasn't bothered to correct it in over 12 years of professional sport. So, why bother wasting your time?

I completely agree with Cooper not being selected, if we are getting that from Stewart every week; however prior to last week we were getting the Jono Lance shit show, if The Question is Lance or Cooper I think many would pick Cooper (particularly having seen Lance play for the last 5 games or so).

Also @Jets - Thorn isn't going anywhere he's got young(ish) kids, there is almost zero chance he's leaving Queensland. I recall him talking about it being taxing on his family with him just going on tour for the few weeks they were overseas for, I think that was hosing down talk of him going to New Zealand or perhaps international coaching involvement.

new recruit_ brisbane

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I completely agree with Cooper not being selected, if we are getting that from Stewart every week; however prior to last week we were getting the Jono Lance shit show, if The Question is Lance or Cooper I think many would pick Cooper (particularly having seen Lance play for the last 5 games or so).

Can someone start a "Hamish Stewart Fan Club Forum" or a "Get Rid of Jono Lance Forum" for ZC

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Also @Jets - Thorn isn't going anywhere he's got young(ish) kids, there is almost zero chance he's leaving Queensland. I recall him talking about it being taxing on his family with him just going on tour for the few weeks they were overseas for, I think that was hosing down talk of him going to New Zealand or perhaps international coaching involvement.

Stiles, McKenzie, Graham - all have young kids. Their desire to stay put for their kids doesn't, unfortunately, come into it. Brad will learn soon enough that the life of a head coach is tough and if he wants to be the head coach of a rugby team and stay in Brisbane, he only has one option. The same option Stiles and Graham envisioned having.

Family roots won't keep him hear long term, performance and job opportunities will be what dictates that.

Status
Not open for further replies.