• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The Reds team announcement says Slipper has been omitted for ‘welfare’ reasons. That doesn’t sound good.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Ben Lucas selection baffles me. The dude does not belong in the reds starting XV let alone the match day 23. What on gods earth does Thorn see in this over the hill player? Is it veteran leadership? Is it his versatility in case team is struck with a injury?

I’d rather see the Reds pick a combo of Sorovi/Tuttle/McDermott & i would go so far to say there’s some pretty handy #9 running around in club rugby who would be better selections then Lucas.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
The Ben Lucas selection baffles me. The dude does not belong in the reds starting XV let alone the match day 23. What on gods earth does Thorn see in this over the hill player? Is it veteran leadership? Is it his versatility in case team is struck with a injury?

I’d rather see the Reds pick a combo of Sorovi/Tuttle/McDermott & i would go so far to say there’s some pretty handy #9 running around in club rugby who would be better selections then Lucas.
Kinda makes a joke of not signing Genia then signing Lucas to play 9

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The Reds team announcement says Slipper has been omitted for ‘welfare’ reasons. That doesn’t sound good.

A serious question: I wonder how long a long-affiliated player with some self-confidence and pride can endure shit season after shit season and endless varieties of poor coaching and ditto odd, changing selections all around him and still remain deep-down positive (of the type needed to make up a winning side) and truly motivated to play well for one team-mediocre round after another?

Somewhere, perpetual team mediocrity and relative failure must take its toll on the heart and soul of the best players who stick around to endure it all.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I set expectations for 2018 at a very low bar for 2018 on the appointment of Brad Thorn, and sheeted home the assessment with his early antics. We've had one unmitigated disaster (Sunwolves), but we've also now had three very much quality games - Jaguares, Lions, Hurricanes.

Our wins are already in the order of my pre-season assessment and there is plenty of time to see more.

SO, while I will never forget the pre-season antics, especially the treatment of Quade, like the ref last night, I'm reviewing the action and have decided to return my yellow card into my hip pocket.

If they can manage another three games of that quality, maybe another win, it will be time to recognise my bar was set too low and can now be raised a bit.

Thorn - prove me wrong. And make me a happy man.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
I set expectations for 2018 at a very low bar for 2018 on the appointment of Brad Thorn, and sheeted home the assessment with his early antics. We've had one unmitigated disaster (Sunwolves), but we've also now had three very much quality games - Jaguares, Lions, Hurricanes.

Our wins are already in the order of my pre-season assessment and there is plenty of time to see more.

SO, while I will never forget the pre-season antics, especially the treatment of Quade, like the ref last night, I'm reviewing the action and have decided to return my yellow card into my hip pocket.

If they can manage another three games of that quality, maybe another win, it will be time to recognise my bar was set too low and can now be raised a bit.

Thorn - prove me wrong. And make me a happy man.

I'll agree they're looking on the up - I can't get over the shithouse treatment of Quade though.

Fair enough if you don't pick him on your 23 (agree to disagree there).

But to tell a contracted player they're not welcome to training is just plain wrong however you look at it

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
So Jim Tucker wrote a story today suggesting dropping Daugunu to the bench (he has been struggling in defense) and promoting Perese.

I don’t really have a strong opinion about this other then he mentions Petaia has looked solid on the other wing (young 18 year old has come along way in the last month after some on here questioned whether he deserved a super rugby spot considering his age).

Surely there’s gotta be a spot for Perese, Daugunu and Petaia in starting lineup at the expense of one our Centre pairings or at fullback. I just don’t know which combination I’d roll with... CFS probably injured this weekend.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah I'd prefer to keep Daugunu in for what he creates but get the defensive frailties.

I'd consider

15 Daugunu
14 Perese
13 Kerevi
12 Paia'aua
11 Petaia
10 Stewart
9 Sororvi

But you'd have to think Lance will remain 10 and Stewart should be in the team. I'd be more inclined to bench Petaia then. As a rookie it won't harm him.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
yeah I'd prefer to keep Daugunu in for what he creates but get the defensive frailties.

I'd consider

15 Daugunu
14 Perese
13 Kerevi
12 Paia'aua
11 Petaia
10 Stewart
9 Sororvi

But you'd have to think Lance will remain 10 and Stewart should be in the team. I'd be more inclined to bench Petaia then. As a rookie it won't harm him.

I agree Reg on Petaia to the bench not being a bad thing.

I was super fascinated to see how Petaia would of gone in the U20s with all those recent super rugby reds caps under his belt. I thought the reds could of managed without him considering all the other options we have with out outside back combinations but seen Brad Thorn requested the ARU not to select him for u20s tournament my money is on him continuing to feature heavily in reds lineup.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

I'd consider

15 Daugunu
14 Perese
13 Kerevi
12 Paia'aua
11 Petaia
10 Stewart
9 Sororvi

If Thorn has any planning sense - I hope he does - he MUST now make those changes at 9 and 10 with 2019 in mind.

For 2018 he's got some 'legitimacy of excuses' for a poor (in results terms) 2018, but that will have completely evaporated in his Year 2 at the Reds. And as stated before, the Reds financially etc cannot afford a _sixth_ straight year of also-ran status and utter on-field mediocrity and failure.

In 2019 with final RWC spots up for selection the Kiwi S15 teams will be firing hard that is for sure. There will be no hiding places for Reds on-field 'R&D Programs' and 'learning and developing young squad' cop-outs and absolutions.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I understand the methodology behind looking to the future now that the season is likely gone but I am still of the view that the Reds need to pick their best side possible.

I honestly think that the more time our kids play premier grade rugby and learn their trade the better

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)

I'd consider

15 Daugunu
14 Perese
13 Kerevi
12 Paia'aua
11 Petaia
10 Stewart
9 Sororvi

I instinctively would have had Perese at 15 but I think it's pretty close between he and Daugunu at 15. One of them MUST move to fullback for us going forwards they are too good to be limited to only playing on the wing. I feel like Daugunu is being targeted in defence to limit his attack.
Sororvi has been killing it the last few weeks and while Stewart was pulled early he was again good. My hesitation with playing this backline is against the Highlanders they'll be out for blood. I wouldn't hate them running with the more 'traditional' backline
Lucas / Lance
Kerevi / CFS (is he fit?)
Perese / Toua / Daugunu

Also what's happening with Tuttle?

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Why would you bench the kid? All things being equal, fact hes only 18; fact hes been close to our best back line defender since he started. So unless youre saying its just because hes only 18 then thats a poor reason. BT said “if youre good enough youre old enough”. Me thinks he will keep selecting the best players based in form. Form means both ends A & D. Its why ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and young guns will keep getting selected.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Why would you bench the kid? All things being equal, fact hes only 18; fact hes been close to our best back line defender since he started. So unless youre saying its just because hes only 18 then thats a poor reason. BT said “if youre good enough youre old enough”. Me thinks he will keep selecting the best players based in form. Form means both ends A & D. Its why ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and young guns will keep getting selected.

So are Lucas and Lance our best players at 9 and 10 based on form?

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
^^^Based on form? Definitely a NO from me Nelic. BUT Im not BT.:p Of the 3 wingers Id say Filipo is likely to miss out based on form(mo). Form being D&A. Letting in five tries in past 2 games and scoring 2? It's simple maths there I think. I wouldnt be surprised if Reds go with Perese and Petraia. Filipo may even be our of the 23 if BT's 'interesting' selections continue(imo).

Status
Not open for further replies.