• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Squad set to be announced next Tuesday apparently. No idea how big it will be. I think we have the following confirmed so far.

Hookers: Andrew Ready & Alex Mafi
Props: James Slipper & Taniela Tuppou
Locks: Kane Douglas, Izack Rodda, Lukhan Tui, Angus Blythe & Harry Hockings
Backrow: Adam Korzcyk, Caleb Timu, Michael Gunn, George Smith & Scott Higginbotham
Scrumhalves: James Tuttle, Nick Frisby
Flyhalves: Quade Cooper, Hamish Stewart
Centres: Duncan Paia'aua, Samu Kerevi, Chris Feauai-Sautia
Oudside Backs: Filipo Daugunu, Eto Nabuli, Izia Perese, Lachlan Maranta

I'm assuming Sef Fa'agase, Liam Wright and Karmichael Hunt will be / are signed.

So we need a hooker, a couple of props, a backrower, a centre and a fullback/outside back.

Hooker is anyone's guess but I think Alex Casey is a good chance.
Props I expect to be Markus Vanzati and JP Smith
Backrower I suspect Reece Hewat will be on a full contract this year, perhaps Angus Scott-Young
Centre Dylan Riley a contender but we really need an inside centre. Perhaps Hunt will be the cover here and Paddy James makes the squad.
Outside back is probably Jayden Ngamanu

In short, I think our recruitment will be done on the cheap and internally.

Reds released something a while ago which inadvertently listed Liam Wright, Sef Fa'agase, Angus Scott-Young and Tate McDermott as part of the Reds squad for 2018. http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/Ne...-Countrys-Win-Means-for-the-Reds-in-2018.aspx
I also have a suspicion that Magnay will be included, and I'm hoping they've somehow managed to secure McMahon as well ;)

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Interesting that only the Reds and Tahs are sticking to the salary cap.
You're surprised that an organisation that was/is being invested by the AFP for misappropriation of Government money isn't following financial guidelines set by administration? The Rebels have also shown a similar attitude when it comes to abiding by financial rules as well.

T

TOCC

How a team who has struggled financially off the field since their inception can even afford to go over the salary cap baffles me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh I hope Magnay does get a release to come back, considering the Top league season is finishing early (I believe) to help the sunwolves, and that I read A.Toua was going back to Brumbies when originally he wasn't allowed too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Interesting that only the Reds and Tahs are sticking to the salary cap.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

The Reds can't afford to with all the coaches they need to pay out.........

The proposed Allianz stadium redevelopment must be affecting ground hire fees?

T

TOCC

It will probably work out cheaper for the Reds now that he has picked up a Wallabies contract as well, the ARU are now paying half his wages.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
It will probably work out cheaper for the Reds now that he has picked up a Wallabies contract as well, the ARU are now paying half his wages.
Aru has been paying the bulk of KHs wages until his new contract. Most of what he’s costing the reds also doesn’t fall under the salary cap under the marquee cross code player rule

T

TOCC

Aru has been paying the bulk of KHs wages until his new contract. Most of what he’s costing the reds also doesn’t fall under the salary cap under the marquee cross code player rule

It was my understanding that the ARU hasn’t been paying the bulk of Karmichaels wages. Yes it isn’t inclusive in the salary cap, but his wages have been getting paid mostly by the QRU.

T

TOCC

Squad set to be announced next Tuesday apparently. No idea how big it will be. I think we have the following confirmed so far.

Hookers: Andrew Ready & Alex Mafi
Props: James Slipper & Taniela Tuppou
Locks: Kane Douglas, Izack Rodda, Lukhan Tui, Angus Blythe & Harry Hockings
Backrow: Adam Korzcyk, Caleb Timu, Michael Gunn, George Smith & Scott Higginbotham
Flyhalves: Quade Cooper, Hamish Stewart
Centres: Duncan Paia'aua, Samu Kerevi, Chris Feauai-Sautia
Oudside Backs: Filipo Daugunu, Eto Nabuli, Izia Perese, Lachlan Maranta

I'm assuming Sef Fa'agase, Liam Wright and Karmichael Hunt will be / are signed.

So we need a hooker, a couple of props, a backrower, a centre and a fullback/outside back.

Hooker is anyone's guess but I think Alex Casey is a good chance.
Props I expect to be Markus Vanzati and JP Smith
Backrower I suspect Reece Hewat will be on a full contract this year, perhaps Angus Scott-Young
Centre Dylan Riley a contender but we really need an inside centre. Perhaps Hunt will be the cover here and Paddy James makes the squad.
Outside back is probably Jayden Ngamanu

In short, I think our recruitment will be done on the cheap and internally.

Squads out tuesday, this is my take on it:

Hookers: Ready, Mafi
Props: Slipper, Tupou, Fa'agase, Vanzati
Locks: Douglas, Rodda, Tui, Blythe, Hockings
6: Korzcyk, Scott-Young
7: Wright, Gunn, G.Smith(retire?)
8: Timu, Higginbotham, Hewat
9: Tuttle, Frisby, Sorovi, McDermott(development?)
10: Cooper, Stewart
12: Paia'aua
13: Kerevi, Feauai-Sautia
Wings: Daugunu, Nabuli, Perese, Kuridrani
Fullback: Hunt, Ngamanu

Light on in the front row, and a bit short on depth in the back row if G.Smith retires, I suspect Hoopert(LHP), Riley(Centre), Luka(THP) and Eadie(Wing) will be in the squad in some form. Efi Maafu or Alex Casey for the extra hooker spot, and like Reg mentioned i would also like to see Patrick James(fullback) in the squad as well.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's a decent squad. No more.

1 starting Wallaby, who probably shouldn't be there.

3 bench Wallabies, who would be there or thereabouts next year.

Couple of injured lads who could push for a squad spot.

It will all come down to coaching and attitude now.

#manageexpectations.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

And yet i doubt it's possible for you to sign either of Ruru or Louwrens. Shame.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
So we can have an all Wallaby starting team (if you include squad development members )
1- Slipper
2- Ready
3- Tupou
4- Douglas
5- Rodda
6- Higginbotham
7- Wright
8- Smith
9-Frisby
10- Cooper
11- Nabuli
12- Paia'aua
13- Kerevi
14-CFS
15- Hunt

BTW that is not my ideal team it was just to show what we actually have

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
It's a real shame how Sam Greene was managed by the Reds a few years ago- the guy was ore talented than the majority of fly halves running around this country let alone in Queensland. A planned transition from Quade to Sam could have been successful.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
So we can have an all Wallaby starting team (if you include squad development members )
1- Slipper
2- Ready
3- Tupou
4- Douglas
5- Rodda
6- Higginbotham
7- Wright
8- Smith
9-Frisby
10- Cooper
11- Nabuli
12- Paia'aua
13- Kerevi
14-CFS
15- Hunt

BTW that is not my ideal team it was just to show what we actually have

The only one in your team LB that worries me is the Pickle. A couple of years ago I thought Frisby had the talent to usurp Genia at Wallaby level. This year was just a forgettable year for him. Hopefully in 2018 with a new coach he gets his head right and starts finding the form that has eluded him (in 2017).

Status
Not open for further replies.