• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If Quade was to be at the Reds he would have to start. Anything else would be a real slap in the face week in and week out.

I also don't think Quade would have been happy just being a member the the squad.

Thorn made a decision. Quade is/was just too big an elephant to leave in the corner of the room.

Having said that, the decision was poorly timed and poorly executed.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
But he is the big elephant in the corner of the room. When Premier rugby starts it will be worse. If the Reds loose games it will be worse. They came out saying that they wouldn’t stop him looking at other club, but why would he. $800K to play club rugby seems pretty good to me. I just hope he shouts a few drinks for his team mates at the nest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^
Just because a bloke is paid $800K doesn't mean he is playing well or a good fit for the culture of the team.

If Thorn thought (IMO) that Quade offered either of those things and was going to cost RA/Reds $800K in total (it may very well be that QC (Quade Cooper) only costs the Reds $200K - with the rest being topped up by RA) he would probably still be at the Reds (at game time)

We all assume that the contributions of a Franchise and RA are the same. Doesn't work that way with the big dogs (highest paid players)

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
^^^^^^
Just because a bloke is paid $800K doesn't mean he is playing well or a good fit for the culture of the team.

If Thorn thought (IMO) that Quade offered either of those things and was going to cost RA/Reds $800K in total (it may very well be that QC (Quade Cooper) only costs the Reds $200K - with the rest being topped up by RA) he would probably still be at the Reds (at game time)

We all assume that the contributions of a Franchise and RA are the same. Doesn't work that way with the big dogs (highest paid players)

My understanding is the $650k being quoted is the Reds portion with the ARU top up (I refused to call it Rugby AUstralia -_- ) bringing the total to around $900k.
To be fair that is around what he would get on the open market. I don't think he was at his best last year, but he was hardly bad, and I really think it would have been preferable to have Hamish Stewart playing under Quade given the weakest part of Stewarts game is the thing that makes Quade a genius.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
His wage has been recently reported as $800k potential but that includes WB appearance match money. As there is none of that it is supposedly $650K including the top up. Maybe $400k-$500k QRU and $150k-$250k RA?

@Scrubber - we have not heard of anything other than positive feedback on Quade in terms of fit, culture and positive input in fan engagement etc - in 2017. The Brad story line was a bolt from the blue that completely countered what came before. And no, Quade does not have to start if he is not performing. Anymore than Higgers, Smith, Slipper, Hunt should be starting if not performing.

But it might require a certain skillset in managing players from the HQ.

However:
Quade is known to get involved in training, coaching, mentoring etc. I can see this potentially not being fully aligned with Brad. But if so, it should have been handled that way, along with much better timing and management for a better commercial outcome. Brad in effect has trashed a loved Red's reputation and there is nil evidence that it was deserved.

I wouldn't be surprised if Quade has coaching aspirations after playing. Crushing his end career like this has other implications. And I wouldnt be surprised that bar other opportunities, the best way forward for Quade is to knuckle under with Souths in the way that he does - including training, mentoring, coaching, ultimately looking for a coaching role within QPR.

He can always kick along the boxing as this is happening.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
Hats off to QC (Quade Cooper) for his contribution to the Reds. Good luck for his future ventures. Mistakes have been made up the top but you can not expect different result if still doing the same thing. BT has my support.

Reactions: dru

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Quade is known to get involved in training, coaching, mentoring etc. I can see this potentially not being fully aligned with Brad. But if so, it should have been handled that way, along with much better timing and management for a better commercial outcome. Brad in effect has trashed a loved Red's reputation and there is nil evidence that it was deserved.
Thorn probably shows how green he is in management roles. Feigning interest is an artful one develops over the years. A subtle head nod, plenty ok's and gotcha's goes a long way into keeping someone onside.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Interesting to see a couple of the amigos commenting on Quade, so far Kurtley and Digby, when can we expect Mr O'Conner to drop in?
hot-tub.jpeg

C'mon Fatprop, you're just narky because you weren't invited to pose in the photograph.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
But he is the big elephant in the corner of the room. When Premier rugby starts it will be worse. If the Reds loose games it will be worse. They came out saying that they wouldn’t stop him looking at other club, but why would he. $800K to play club rugby seems pretty good to me. I just hope he shouts a few drinks for his team mates at the nest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The real mistake was paying over the odds for him. His time in Toulon didn't scream 'break the bank'.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
looking at a photo with some of the reds at caboolture. Blyth is next to Douglas.is Blyth really that much bigger then Douglas (202cm, 119kg)?! Blyth listed at 204cm and 115kg bit reckon it'll be like Rodda, just get bigger and bigger

https://www.facebook.com/QldReds/ph...82471695235/10155843383295236/?type=3&theater

Yeah, I think they got him on the Rodda diet... 1 whole roast every night! #SorryNotSorryAfrica.

I don't remember him being *that* much bigger than Hockings but I think just given his size right now he's probably getting a start while Rodda is out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Tui 198cm - 121kg
Rodda - 202cm - 119kg
Douglas 202cm - 119kg
Blyth 204cm - 115kg
Hockings 206cm - 118kg

Can easily see Blyth pushing up to Rodda/Douglas weight (if he hasn't already) Maybe even past them (slightly bigger Rodda) - very similar builds. Hockings if a verrrrry skinny looking 118kg so thinking will get into the 122-123 mark - a bit more Arnold esque.

Will have some big boys rolling around in 2019 once they are in their 20s

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
My understanding is the $650k being quoted is the Reds portion with the ARU top up (I refused to call it Rugby AUstralia -_- ) bringing the total to around $900k.
To be fair that is around what he would get on the open market. I don't think he was at his best last year, but he was hardly bad, and I really think it would have been preferable to have Hamish Stewart playing under Quade given the weakest part of Stewarts game is the thing that makes Quade a genius.

Fairly sure RA top up players go 50/50 with states. Also - RA sets the price - no negotiating by states. For example - say it is 800k (400k each), then Reds couldn't 'outbid' by saying well we will pay 500k and win the bid. The price is the price. And yes - Stewart should be given the chance to start 'weaker games', start when Quade (or Lance now) are injured, and get more and more minutes. Instead of deepend. At least now we have options unlike poor Mcintyre who got shafted IMO

Tipv2

Frank Row (1)
The real mistake was paying over the odds for him. His time in Toulon didn't scream 'break the bank'.

Nah. I (and most other diehard Reds supporters) view his return the same way West Tigers fans view Benji Marshall. He's the spiritual leader, and face of the club who lead us through our most successful period over the last two decades. At a time when Reds membership numbers and crowd had literally halved
He was poorly treated by Toulon and it's owner. That was obvious to all involved. You can't sign a player with a release clause for international football and then try to strong arm (read:blackmail) the player to forgo International Football.
And re: Thorne. He doesn't deserve ANY leeway to rebuild the reds. Let alone 5 years that some posters here are crying for. I'd be hesitant to give him 5 games after the predicament he's gotten himself in to.
Make no mistake; Thorne's gripe with Quade IS personal. Anyone that says otherwise is digging their head in the sand. Thorne was announced as the Reds Coach on October 5th; sacking Quade and Frisby TWO whole months later; giving them little to no chance of signing a contract with overseas clubs. Now; Thorne had been an assistant coach for an entire year; and would have known that Quade wasn't part of his future plans from Day 1 of his HC role. Taking 2 months is extraordinarily bad management and coaching. Not only that; it also gave the Reds little to no option but to throw 15% of their Salary Cap down the drain.
He's a fool; and when the Reds finish 2nd last in the Aus conference, ahead of the Sunwolves; I expect him to do the honorable thing and resign.
No player is bigger than the club, but no coach is bigger than the club either. Laurie Fisher resigned from Glouchester 48 hours after a series of dismal team performance. Fingers crossed Thorne has that same level of honour. The board should follow suit for allowing 3+million dollars worth of payouts in a 3 year period.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@ Z-C I completely share your frustration, analysis and irritation. But it's like the Cheika scenario - who I also think is not entitled to his job. Who do you replace him with? We are stuck. Poor QRU decision. Poor work by Brad. Next? He is here. That's it. A new coach should really be given 3 years, rebuild, mature, go big. But Brad needs to learn his trade first. This year is a right off. Next for reasonable learning. Then he gets the 3 years. QRU have committed. Poorly done I believe. But let's not compound that error with more HC musical chair games.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
@ Z-C I completely share your frustration, analysis and irritation. But it's like the Cheika scenario - who I also think is not entitled to his job. Who do you replace him with? We are stuck. Poor QRU decision. Poor work by Brad. Next? He is here. That's it. A new coach should really be given 3 years, rebuild, mature, go big. But Brad needs to learn his trade first. This year is a right off. Next for reasonable learning. Then he gets the 3 years. QRU have committed. Poorly done I believe. But let's not compound that error with more HC musical chair games.
So Stiles gets 12 months and Thorn gets 5 years? If the Reds don't make the finals then the Board and CEO should fall on their swords, this is their mess.

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Reds were never going to attract a good coach on a one year deal, were they? Any coach worth his salt would demand at least three years, I would have thought. Maybe more.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Reds were never going to attract a good coach on a one year deal, were they? Any coach worth his salt would demand at least three years, I would have thought. Maybe more.
I think they may have also acknowledged a talented good group of young green players and got a coach to suit. I can't think of a better coach/person for young players to play for.

History suggests otherwise, but maybe reds are looking beyond year 1... New CEO??

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Tui 198cm - 121kg
Rodda - 202cm - 119kg
Douglas 202cm - 119kg
Blyth 204cm - 115kg
Hockings 206cm - 118kg

Can easily see Blyth pushing up to Rodda/Douglas weight (if he hasn't already) Maybe even past them (slightly bigger Rodda) - very similar builds. Hockings if a verrrrry skinny looking 118kg so thinking will get into the 122-123 mark - a bit more Arnold esque.

Will have some big boys rolling around in 2019 once they are in their 20s

Hocking and Blyth are still a bit lightweight, but probably have enough meat on their bones to get a few runs this year, Blyth plays a little like Rodda from what I've seen, and whilst Hockings runs like a lumbering giraffe he actually has very good hands, some of his catches from kick offs and quick passes are beyond the ability of the other locks in the Reds group IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.