• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While I stick by my earlier comments about my perceived limitations of Thorns coaching ability he utilised all of his talents in the hard work and bash (legally) to get a great result tonight. The one feeling I have at the end of the game is pride. I wore a Reds polo to work today and copped a lot of crap but after tonights performance I'll wear it again.

Well done Brad. I might even get to the ground next week.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No Hamish Stewart tonight? Someone is going to have conniptions.

With so many new and young players I think Thorn is trying to simplify things.

It worked really well tonight. Excellent scrum. Bugger all penalties. Solid D. Enthusiastic kids.

It worked.

Not sure it will be the kiwis but I can’t wait to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
No Hamish Stewart tonight? Someone is going to have conniptions.

With so many new and young players I think Thorn is trying to simplify things.

It worked really well tonight. Excellent scrum. Bugger all penalties. Solid D. Enthusiastic kids.

It worked.

Not sure it will be the kiwis but I can’t wait to find out.

Yeah, nah. I can understand no Stewart in that game. It was too close to throw Stewart to potentially throw Stewart to the wolves Brumbies. Although I would have liked to have seen Stewart at some point.

I'm interesting in what people think about our backline attack with Lance at the 10, I felt like he was lacking that real go forward and appears to stall the attack.
Also was Lance being hidden on the wing in defence?

What did people make of Paia'aua - Daugunu swap? (I felt like had DP played the full 80 could have been a MotM contender, so it was odd to bring in Daugunu; also Nabuli was a bit average, surprised he wasn't brought off for Daugunu.)

Douglas was better than I expected. But it's a classic Douglass/Mumm/Simmons type game where he does just enough to not get dropped.

All in all the forwards are looking really really good. If we could just sort out that fucking backline we might actually be a decent side. (I still think Tuttle, Stewart, Perese/CFS, Paia'aua, Kerevi, Toua, Lance would be our best backline.)

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, nah. I can understand no Stewart in that game. It was too close to throw Stewart to potentially throw Stewart to the wolves Brumbies. Although I would have liked to have seen Stewart at some point.

I'm interesting in what people think about our backline attack with Lance at the 10, I felt like he was lacking that real go forward and appears to stall the attack.
Also was Lance being hidden on the wing in defence?

Lance will serve but he was deep. We play tight though and no 10 will really shine much in that. Yes I think he was D on the wing in certain positions on the field. Different between starting and the end. But he did still defend.

What did people make of Paia'aua - Daugunu swap? (I felt like had DP played the full 80 could have been a MotM contender, so it was odd to bring in Daugunu; also Nabuli was a bit average, surprised he wasn't brought off for Daugunu.)

Agree, but the substitution worked. Rotating through the youngsters. Can't complain, though hope DP doesnt pay the penalty for it too much going forward.

Douglas was better than I expected. But it's a classic Douglass/Mumm/Simmons type game where he does just enough to not get dropped.

He played a long game. I'll have to re-watch to see his detail. But let's give a chance, eh?

All in all the forwards are looking really really good. If we could just sort out that fucking backline we might actually be a decent side. (I still think Tuttle, Stewart, Perese/CFS, Paia'aua, Kerevi, Toua, Lance would be our best backline.)

Agree on the forwards. Backs played their role.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
^ it baffled us at the game.

To what purpose does it serve showing it?? It's not like it's something the Reds want to brag about....

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
^ it baffled us at the game.

To what purpose does it serve showing it?? It's not like it's something the Reds want to brag about..

I think it's servers as a talking point, something to get it it trending on social media perhaps. I wouldn't have hated Quade in the 15.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Was I smoking something, was it the Hunter reds, am I really awake, it can't be true, maybe I am in a nightmare.

Did I just see the Reds win and be the better side on the night.

Must be a dream or the drink has got to me.

No tries a little help from the "Blind & Death" [the ref], but I still think the better side on the night.

Turtle

Bob McCowan (2)
Stress fracture to P. James. Best rugby brain and defending 5/8 in Brisbane. Will slot into the 10 jersey in May.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So, what IS the story about Ready? Could someone who knows please elucidate us.

A coupla years ago our rake stocks looked very promising with Ready, Scoble and Latu making encouraging debuts at the same time TPN was going through one of his many physical challenges (marvellous what a few months' rest can do to a tired and battered body), Moore was starting to jump up and down on the spot and Father Time was catching up with both Mann-Rea and Hanson. Scoble's gone to God-knows-where, Ready seems to be in the doghouse for a mystery faux pas, and Latu's had a few injury woes which are taking some time to heal. Not good.

But, could someone please let us know what's the goss with Andrew.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From what I heard nothing has changed from the warning he got last year where he, Frisby and George Smith were on the piss most nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glass half full

Sydney Middleton (9)
I’m sure he’s putting in the hard yards to demonstrate that he is developing the right attitude. The two hookers in the squad seem to be going okay, so maybe Thorn is ‘testing’ Ready’s resolve whilst he has options. No doubt he will work his way back.

Status
Not open for further replies.