• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It only took 4 years, but Caleb Timu has finally arrived as the player i had hoped of him.

Now who do you start next week against the Stormers, Higgers or Timu, personally i would just play Higgers at blindside and keep Timu at 8, but i think that might unbalance the backrow. Conversely Timu has had a few monster games in a row, so perhaps using him off the bench might be good for him.

I wonder if Cheika will call and suggest Timu play at 8?

He looks like after a full season he will certainly be comfortable if given a chance if a gold jersey

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Surely they can't play him - Quade was cut for doing nothing wrong, if KHunt gets a game I'm done
Ummmm .... Nothing wrong? Showing up almost an hour late for the first training session for the season is "nothing wrong"?

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Ummmm .. Nothing wrong? Showing up almost an hour late for the first training session for the season is "nothing wrong"?

Don't remember hearing about him being late - where was this reported??

Even if true, if being late were a sackable offence I'm sure most of us would be out of a job.....

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I wonder if Cheika will call and suggest Timu play at 8?

He looks like after a full season he will certainly be comfortable if given a chance if a gold jersey

I do think it'll take quite a bit for him to come in over the top of Naisarani (likely the incumbent if only for residency purposes), but I do think it's possible. It baffles me that Cheika didn't pick Higgers last year he would have been exactly the player he was looking for, can lineout, can scrum, can run the ball, can throw a pass, he's almost purpose built to plug into last years Wallabies back row, only thing he didn't do was pilfer, but with Pocock back he's probably more suited to the task.

But back to Timu, I don't think he's yet an 8 (at least on an attacking scrum, but he's gotta defend at 8), he's too slow coming off the back/side of a scrum to play a flanker, and he's too weak at keeping the ball in the scrum when it's going forward at the rate of knots the Reds have been going lately. Around the park he's good enough, I'd like to see him get over the ball a little more, you want to see he's got that skill (not that he's George Smith or anything just that he can do it). Also sometimes his work around the breakdown can be a little shaky and would need to be improved at the International level. Otherwise he's got all the tools to play No 8 for the Wallabies and would probably be 3rd cab off the rank at the moment if I had to guess.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeh he did pick Higgers, but as the in tight enforcer with Hanigan and Hooper. Square peg into a round hole. Higgers is a link backrower and has epic skills in the wider channels due to his size and athletic ability, so it was clear the Cheika requiring him to play a different role wouldn't get the best play out of him. Higs would be better in like a ...Higs/Timani/Poey backrow or something....or off the bench with his impact. Put him as an impact player with Hanigan and Simmons on the field, don't be surprised if the pack lacks dominance in close (though he did out play hanigan vs fiji at least)

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Timu was very good at controlling the ball behind the scrum for QC (Quade Cooper) last year and their scrum was going forward more often and more quickly then the Reds. Not to say it isn’t an issue - but the ball cams out a few funny spots and I wonder if it got a deflection off the locks once or twice.

I didn’t thing Naisarani was eligible yet and wouldn’t be this year.

Timu still has some way to go, but he has consistently got better each game this season. First full super rugby season though so it will be interesting if he can keep his form up in the back end of the year.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cheika did pick Higgers last year.

Who is Timu #3 behind?

When all fit, would see cheika picking both Dempsey and Pocock ahead of Timu at 8. Probably less about what # no.8 he is as to what # backrower he is.

Hanigan, Dempsey, Pocock & Hooper are the favourites, then Timani is probably safe until Naisarani is around. Or if Mccalman doesn't come good, Timani will be safe all the way through to WC with Naisarani. I like Higs > Timu but that means nothing. Apart from Valetini (obviously injured), noone looked/looks like obviously being better then Timu (Holloway, Mccaffrey, Cottrell, RHP, all around the same level)

For upcoming series I can see Tui covering backrow if required as a 5th lock in the 32 man squad.

hk - Tpn(rangi) Uelese Amosa
FR - Sio Slipper Kepu Ala'alatoa Tupou
LK - Simmons Coleman Arnold Rodda Tui
br - Dempsey Hanigan Timani Pocock Hoops
HB - Genia Powell Phipps(Ruru)
fh - Foley Lealiifano
c - Hodge Beale kerevi TK
OB - Koroibete Naivalu DHP Folau Speight (Maddocks)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Last year we had the scenario where our two best backrowers, Hooper and McMahon were 7 and 8 when available and the 6 fitted in to complement them.

I see the same happening this year with Hooper and Pocock.

Timu could well be that third player, as could Dempsey if he returns well or Hangian.

Tom Cusack and Lachie McCaffery are playing well at the Brumbies although Cusack is probably a better lineout jumper.

I would also potentially like to see Matt Philip have a crack at 6. I think he is the most athletic of the locks.

I agree that on current form Timu certainly makes the squad.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can't recall ever seeing an entire squad being picked purely on most recent form. Always room made for incumbents and potentials. Cheika loves being the guy to pick an average player and say 'i can do it, just need to give him a chance'. I mean look at how well he did with Nabuli. Guess we will see!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would also potentially like to see Matt Philip have a crack at 6. I think he is the most athletic of the locks.

I agree that on current form Timu certainly makes the squad.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the bandwagon BH. I've been banging on about Philip at 6 for the Wallabies since this time last year, but so far as I can remember, Shiggins was the only other poster to give the idea any support at all, and that might not be a true endorsement. However, now with you on board....... I wouldn't be at all unhappy to see Timu in the mix as well. It is beyond time the backrow for the Wallabies was given a major shakeup.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Timu will be in the Wallabies squad this year if he maintains current form, 100%

I feel like this underestimates Cheika's love to pick a Waratah!

Timu would be behind Naisarani, and Dempsey (assuming fit), and I would for obvious reasons have him behind Higginbotham but for whatever reason he wasn't picked for anything after the June Series, but there are a lot of variables, so I'd just have him at 3 and not lock myself into who is at 1 or 2. :p

Something I think will be quite interesting to watch is if Hooper will actually justify his selection or at least not come under a lot of pressure for selection. There are a number of really promising back row options who if they put in a good Super Rugby season will at least be really putting their hand up for Wallabies selection.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Can't recall ever seeing an entire squad being picked purely on most recent form. Always room made for incumbents and potentials. Cheika loves being the guy to pick an average player and say 'i can do it, just need to give him a chance'. I mean look at how well he did with Nabuli. Guess we will see!

Ned Hanigan!

Gave him like 7 games playing 80 minutes a game and the kid did not a whole lot! I genuinely felt like at times he was a net negative for the team. I'm sure he's got the potential to be a good player but just not yet.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I feel like this underestimates Cheika's love to pick a Waratah!

Timu would be behind Naisarani, and Dempsey (assuming fit), and I would for obvious reasons have him behind Higginbotham but for whatever reason he wasn't picked for anything after the June Series, but there are a lot of variables, so I'd just have him at 3 and not lock myself into who is at 1 or 2. :p

Something I think will be quite interesting to watch is if Hooper will actually justify his selection or at least not come under a lot of pressure for selection. There are a number of really promising back row options who if they put in a good Super Rugby season will at least be really putting their hand up for Wallabies selection.

I really don't get this fascination with Higginbotham. He's 31 and even his most ardent fans see his selection in the Wallaby backrow requiring players to be picked around him who complement his skillset. That would be all well and good if he was the best backrower in the entire country but he's not even close.

I'm not convinced he'll be in the Reds best backrow by the end of the season.

Hooper justifying his selection? He's been the best Aussie 7 for 3 of the 4 weeks to start the season. That's a pretty fair start.

In terms of Naisarani, he doesn't factor in Wallaby selection discussions until next year.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Higginbotham doesn't need players picked around him! What he needs, like any backrower, is to be picked in a balanced backrow! Which we haven't had for years because of our unconventional openside flanker.
NB: no disrespect to our openside flanker.

How can Timu be behind Niasarani when he's not eligible to play for Australia? Just stop including him in the conversation for at least another year!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.