• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If Greene were to come back, it would/should have been this season when there is a lack of experienced 5/8’s... in a couple of years these young blokes will have experience and/or alternatives have emerged for the positions making the appetite for someone like him less.

I think you might be right Reg, Greene might be looking to qualify for Japan instead.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Gilmore is shaping up as a quality coach. Am I right thought that his coaching has mostly been around junior development and pathways.

I wonder if he’d benefit from a period as an assistant with a senior professional squad first? It’s a question as much as a statement as I’ve never met the guy or had any involvement with him personally. Clearly he’s done a good job in the roles he’s held.

Gilmore was a Reds assistant in 2017 - was considered surplus to requirements after a shit year when they got Thorn with his new assistants (carozza & mcgahan i think?).

Gilmore was promoted for the good work he did with the junior development and pathways - he struggled - got put back as the Elite Development Coach - then got Aus U20's in 2018

He's done a good job in the Junior Development Roles. Will we see him get another chance at Super Rugby? Perhaps, but if he is offering immense value to the Pathways, yet questionable or unknown at the profeessional level, then RA would be crazy to weaken their Pathway programs and should invest to try to keep him where he is doing great work.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting how Gilmore specifically references Mcintyre and Greene as guys who were good at U20, and now doing good as 25ish year old flyhalves who have now learnt there trade. Potentially a stab at the Reds who leaned on them to hard, too young, then judged them then ditched them on that basis.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting how Gilmore specifically references Mcintyre and Greene as guys who were good at U20, and now doing good as 25ish year old flyhalves who have now learnt there trade. Potentially a stab at the Reds who leaned on them to hard, too young, then judged them then ditched them on that basis.

except that the Reds didn't lean on Greene at all pretty much. All but ignored them.

Of course the balance to Gilmore's statement is are the young fellahs prepared to hang around and do the hard yards for a few years to mature? Greene clearly wasn't and as a result we may not get him back.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think Gilmore is just trying to protect the interests of his U20’s players and erring against burdening them with the expectation of immediate results, which is a fair statement given the difficulties of playing fly-half.

He has made similar comments a few times now about not expecting too much from the U20s players.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Hey sorry to change subjects but is Mac Grealy signed to the Reds in any form of academy or development contract? I usually hate talking about kids who just finished school but I think it's urgent that he is put with them.

I've been watching schoolboy rugby for many years now and he is the 2nd most talented I have seen after Kayln Ponga. From Downlands College, supposedly all reports are that he's a mature fella too.

Bobby Sands you're usually over this stuff?

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
I've heard the Reds have picked up a S&C coach to replace the one poached by the Firebirds. Hopefully this stint will have the same result as his first one with the Reds.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I've heard the Reds have picked up a S&C coach to replace the one poached by the Firebirds. Hopefully this stint will have the same result as his first one with the Reds.

Ah, not too sure if that's the case and possibly mixed up? Brynley was the S&C coach last year (is stilled listed on the Reds site as S&C) and came from the Firebirds. I can't imagine he'd go back to the Firebirds.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Ye
Hey sorry to change subjects but is Mac Grealy signed to the Reds in any form of academy or development contract? I usually hate talking about kids who just finished school but I think it's urgent that he is put with them.

I've been watching schoolboy rugby for many years now and he is the 2nd most talented I have seen after Kayln Ponga. From Downlands College, supposedly all reports are that he's a mature fella too.

Bobby Sands you're usually over this stuff?

Yes on a development contract. He played great at Downland’s level but did nothing to impress me when playing for QLD last year. Didn’t get a look in for the Aus team.
A bit of time with the Reds coaches will help with his average defense/tackling. He’s got a good step and left pass. No right side offload.
If he can be coached, then I see a great Reds fullback/winger for the future.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
If Greene were to come back, it would/should have been this season when there is a lack of experienced 5/8’s. in a couple of years these young blokes will have experience and/or alternatives have emerged for the positions making the appetite for someone like him less.

I think you might be right Reg, Greene might be looking to qualify for Japan instead.
Greene would give the Reds the strength to take out the Australian conference. Anyone onto this?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Greene would give the Reds the strength to take out the Australian conference. Anyone onto this?

Would Greene be better than Hegarty? I've not seen him play for four years. Even if he has been displaying top form in the Top League (and I think Toyota haven't always been in Top Division while he has been there) would that overrule average Super Rugby form? I don't think so.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I had a healthy hatred for Greene at club level due to his club of choice... so I would consider myself a harsh critic.

In saying this I always believed he had wonderful rugby instincts, skills and speed. Thought he would make a brilliant 15 one day.

I just watched a highlight video of him over in japan, looks like he still has those 3 in abundance and learnt how to make a decent tackle. He will be making a bucket load of cash over there. I doubt he would ever come back to Oz unless he was a serious shot at a Wobs jersey.

Good luck to the kid in whatever he chooses. I'd love to see him in a tougher competition with better players around him to really see what his potential is.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Would Greene be better than Hegarty? I've not seen him play for four years. Even if he has been displaying top form in the Top League (and I think Toyota haven't always been in Top Division while he has been there) would that overrule average Super Rugby form? I don't think so.
Growing to like Hegarty more each time a watch him play. I like him at flyhalf but from reports he is training at fullback. Lucas training at flyhalf. Greene is a controlled game manager, but can’t comment on current fitness or skill improvement since he departed 4 years ago.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Ye

Yes on a development contract. He played great at Downland’s level but did nothing to impress me when playing for QLD last year. Didn’t get a look in for the Aus team.
A bit of time with the Reds coaches will help with his average defense/tackling. He’s got a good step and left pass. No right side offload.
If he can be coached, then I see a great Reds fullback/winger for the future.

He was good for Aust Barbars making lots of breaks against Samoa, main issue was trying to score every time he had the ball. He will be a wonderful player as he matures. Also a great kid.

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ah, not too sure if that's the case and possibly mixed up? Brynley was the S&C coach last year (is stilled listed on the Reds site as S&C) and came from the Firebirds. I can't imagine he'd go back to the Firebirds.

A mate heard it from a friend who heard it from someone in Sydney. I don't know where that someone heard it from but I am pretty confident at least 3/4 of the story is accurate. Let's see what pans out in the next week or three.

Brynley was good for the Reds but given the Firebirds had an absolute shocker in injuries last year, maybe they wanted him back and made a very good offer? (This is pure guesswork)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is the insinuation that Damian Marsh is coming back? He was there in 2011 wasn't he? Been at Fiji? Assume they are having a clear out at the moment.