• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I use this graph more often the i would like at work to reign in the expectation around new products

Gartner_Hype_Cycle.svg

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Look I like Jorge Petaia more than even you bobby sands... but messager needs to be shot.

Let’s see him in a Wallabies jersey in the test arena before we go making statements like that.

Maybe not the greatest centre ever but if he can stay healthy and loyal to super rugby he might go on to be the most capped centre ever.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Super Rugby rounds done but the end of May? Gonna be a hard start for teams playing in Oz, is it wise to start so early, summer was brutal this year, can't see it being any kinder next year? Heard of players in previous years coming from cooler climates ending up in a real state on drips after playing in March and April heat.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
So for the Reds next year if we keep our boys all fit we could hope for something like

1. JP Smith
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Blyth
5. Rodda
6. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
7. Wright
8. ASY (Angus Scott-Young)
9. Tate the Great
10. Lucas
11. Daugunu
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Petaia
14. Speight
15. Hegarty

16. BPA
17. Hoopert
18. Ruan Smith
19. Hockings
20. McReight
21. Sorovi
22. Stewart
23. CFS

with Fotuaika, Wilson, Uru, Malolua, Campbell and Hardy slugging it out to crack the team.

I like it

B

Bobby Sands

So for the Reds next year if we keep our boys all fit we could hope for something like

1. JP Smith
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Blyth
5. Rodda
7. Wright
9. Tate the Great
10. Lucas
11. Daugunu
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Petaia
14. Speight
15. Hegarty

16. BPA
17. Hoopert
18. Ruan Smith
19. Hockings
20. McReight
21. Sorovi
22. Stewart
23. CFS

with Fotuaika, Wilson, Uru, Malolua, Campbell and Hardy slugging it out to crack the team.

I like it

Looks good, but get Wilson in there...

B

Bobby Sands

Look I like Jorge Petaia more than even you bobby sands. but messager needs to be shot.

Let’s see him in a Wallabies jersey in the test arena before we go making statements like that.

Maybe not the greatest centre ever but if he can stay healthy and loyal to super rugby he might go on to be the most capped centre ever.

Shoot all dramas you have over to Scott Johnson, in the subject put "ATTN: Scott I do not think your rugby lunch comments re Jordy Petaia are helpful for his development."

He will get back to you when he gets a chance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

1. JP Smith
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Blyth
5. Rodda
7. Wright
9. Tate the Great
10. Lucas
11. Daugunu
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Petaia
14. Speight
15. Hegarty

16. BPA
17. Hoopert
18. Ruan Smith
19. Hockings
20. McReight
21. Sorovi
22. Stewart
23. CFS

I like it

yeah, plenty of options. I like the variety we have. I will say (and I have been a long term fan so may be biased) that I am more impressed with what Stewart is doing currently than what JOC (James O'Connor) is doing. Obviously at different levels however.

Reactions: TSR

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

1. JP Smith
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Blyth
5. Rodda
7. Wright
9. Tate the Great
10. Lucas
11. Daugunu
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Petaia
14. Speight
15. Hegarty

16. BPA
17. Hoopert
18. Ruan Smith
19. Hockings
20. McReight
21. Sorovi
22. Stewart
23. CFS

I like it

That squad looks good in theory, but my 'Tahs will still reign triumphant.
Our new coach says so.
Oh wait.:(

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hammer, can I say you've nailed it?

Of interest, I would have thought only you and I would prefer Blyth to Hockings, but no comment at all yet on that arrangement.

One question. Is Malol,ua eligible to continue playing for the Reds after representing Samoa (?). I ask because Vunipola Fifita from the Brumbies is in the same boat, and I thought I had read that he could no longer turn out in Canberra.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think we will see a rotation across the backrow, especially for the younger players who tend to struggle a bit in their first full pro-season.

Environmental considerations might be a factor in 2020 as well given the season starting in January, depending on the heat they might go for lighter and leaner players who are less likely to burn out in the heat.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Eligibility for Malolua may not be an issue BR, read an article in today's Courier Mail about how he has been ruled out of the RWC due to a shoulder injury.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Agree Adam ,great place to be with the depth in the locks/ backrow .

Think the make up of the starting forward pack depends on who you start at #7.

Wright or McReight ?

If they start Fraser , you would think Wright would go to 6 and then competition gets tough for #8 + 4/5.

If they start Wright at 7 , Fraser to the bench and opens up potential spots for Wilson, Hockings or Blyth in the run on team.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Eligibility for Malolua may not be an issue BR, read an article in today's Courier Mail about how he has been ruled out of the RWC due to a shoulder injury.

He still got capped in the Test against the Wallabies (in which he got injured) so he's still presumably an import player now. I imagine he will be able to see out his contract but possibly won't be able to re-sign after that? No idea what the deal is with capped overseas players now but so I'm just speculating.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Hammer, can I say you've nailed it?

Of interest, I would have thought only you and I would prefer Blyth to Hockings, but no comment at all yet on that arrangement.

One question. Is Malol,ua eligible to continue playing for the Reds after representing Samoa (?). I ask because Vunipola Fifita from the Brumbies is in the same boat, and I thought I had read that he could no longer turn out in Canberra.

I like Blythe over Hockings to.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

It's an 8 week injury, so he'll be back on the field. He's also been capped by Samoa since last Saturday night.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I like Blythe over Hockings to.

I used to think the same, then Hockings performance during the QPR finals changed my opinion of him, finally started to see the test potential in him that had be spoken about by Thorn previously.

Last week against the Vikings, 17 runs for 40m are very impressive stats for a tight forward against a good forward pack as well.