• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

LMU

Allen Oxlade (6)
The print version of today paper has an email in full perhaps someone with better skills can photograph and upload.

Coden

Frank Row (1)
What's the gist? Article is behind a paywall

In the Sunday Mail (below), they actually print the email Anthony Picone sent to the Reds. Reds have been well and truly caught out on this one, and it absolutely looks like a case of non-buyer's remorse. I don't think it's time to stop dealing with the agent, but rather time to change the "key individuals at the Reds" who stuffed this up.

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 9.44.03 am.png

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ok, so timeline of the events as is appears below.

September 2018 - Kerevi re-signs for 2019
November 2018 - Picone asks for contract extension starting 2020
January 2018 - Kerevi Signs letter of intent with Suntory
Febuary 2019 - RA table 4 year contract extension starting 2020

Perhaps just a breakdown in communications across all parties, maybe RA should have said they're in the process of piecing together a long term contract, maybe Picone should have given RA/QRU a heads up before Kervi signed the letter of intent for any last minute submissions.

Disappointing if the only thing between retaining and losing Kerevi was 2 months..

Mark Myers

Frank Row (1)

Perhaps just a breakdown in communications across all parties, maybe RA should have said they're in the process of piecing together a long term contract, maybe Picone should have given RA/QRU a heads up before Kervi signed the letter of intent for any last minute submissions.

Disappointing if the only thing between retaining and losing Kerevi was 2 months..

I wouldn’t be surprised if we are only see a very small piece of the pie. It makes mention of key talk starting in May 2018 in the article. If Kerevi wanted to stay I’m sure he would have asked the question numerous times before the overseas deal was done. It was summed up perfectly as “buyers remorse”.

B

Bobby Sands

Picone has earned a colourful reputation for his methods of negotiation.

Do your own research, reach your own conclusions.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Hey buddy,

Why don’t you outline what I’ve done that is outside the rules so I can understand?

Rather than what I can only presume is whistling for moderation.

Bobby, I'm not whistling for anything. And I doubt mods will step in here.
Play the ball not the man / No personal abuse of forum members, players, officials and public figures. Personal comments will be deleted and you'll get a card or ban.
This also applies to comments about players, coaches, Referees and other public figures. Feel free to criticize their play and decisions with reasoning, but not slander them as a person.
"Like last weekend, he's always seagulling and it gives me the shits" is OK.
"He's a f*ckwit who'll never amount to anything" is not.
Only a complete knob jockey resorts to personal insults anyway.
Picone is a grub.

Do your own research, reach your own conclusions.

Look, Picone may or may not be as you say. I've no idea. And like others I note the low post number voices of support out dissing the Reds. As you say "reach your own conclusions".

Odd that you call on people to "do your own research" but weren't prepared to check the rule yourself.

B

Bobby Sands

I’m sorry Dru, I hope I haven’t offended.

Happy to amend the note.

Picone certainly has his methods of negotiation.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What's with all these accounts started in the past few days defending Newstar and sharing the likes around. Picone, you can just use your own name if you want.

bang on. Yes, always suspicious.

From what I understand Picone is looking to sell his company to Pacific Sports Management (I think this is mainly a league company). So perhaps The Newstar mob are trying to protect their brand.

From what I hear the issue is far beyond Kerevi and more a long term dissatisfaction from a number of parties (not just QRU and not just sports administrators) about their activities / behaviour.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

they are the dates that are intriguing to me. So QRU / RA re-sign him for this year and announce it in Sept 2018. Then in November Picone sends a e-mail putting the pressure on the QRU / RA. Sounds like he's just covering himself for some activity about to happen (ie an MOU with Japan and faffing about with ARU)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
they are the dates that are intriguing to me. So QRU / RA re-sign him for this year and announce it in Sept 2018. Then in November Picone sends a e-mail putting the pressure on the QRU / RA. Sounds like he's just covering himself for some activity about to happen (ie an MOU with Japan and faffing about with ARU)

That's right its a curious sequence of events, and let's not forget that when Kerevi re-signed in September 2018 there were strong rumours then that he was been shopped around to Japan clubs. My take is, Picone never stopped negotiating with the Japan clubs, just changed the date form which Kerevi was going to be available from because either the price wasn't right, or the lure of the RWC was too strong.

Its interesting that in 2018 Picone was ok for Kerevi to basically be off-contract before he is re-signed, but in the following contracting period he demands an answer 14months before his Kerevi is off-contract.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He likes to shop them around. Did the same with Rodda.

Was doing the same with Liam Gill to the Rebels apparently. Had them all in a flurry it would seem, but he's going to Japan.

Coden

Frank Row (1)
Wasn't the issue that the Reds didn't get a chance at Kerevi? It looks like they had plenty of time...end of story