• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pre-season starts next week, that should appease the slow news days a bit, will be interesting to see what project players they have with them to earn a contract.

Norths letting a few names slip. Nick Chapman and Dane Zander are doing pre-season. Thrilled for Chapman in particular who has been excellent in club land for a while.

They also mention Harrison Fox is in the Reds Senior Academy. Whatever that is.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Lukhan signing for 3 years has gotten me really excited about the Reds, he seems really grounded and is the type of player I'd want in my team, although I feel like this about all the signings the Reds have made recently.... even JOC (James O'Connor) has won me over!

Been a good week of news coming out of Ballymore with the trip to the region's and now this. Bring on 2020 and a new decade where us Comreds celebrate more wins than losses.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Norths letting a few names slip. Nick Chapman and Dane Zander are doing pre-season. Thrilled for Chapman in particular who has been excellent in club land for a while.

Reg , Harry Fox is in the Reds U20’s Academy ,they have been training for a couple of weeks now.

Guess that is what they mean by senior academy.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reg , Harry Fox is in the Reds U20’s Academy ,they have been training for a couple of weeks now.

Guess that is what they mean by senior academy.

When they advertised for the Academy Head Coach they broke it down

basically

· Academy Stage 0 (U11-U15)
· Academy Stage 1 (U15-U18) - includes Junior Gold Cup, QLD U16, QLD U18 ------feeding towards Aus U18/Schoolboys
· Academy Stage 2 (U18-U20+) - includes U19 Rugby Championship ---- feeding towards Junior Wallabies

Assume Harry Fox in in Stage 2.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Incredibly 8 years after the ARU disassembled all the states academy programs in favour of a centralised system, it seems the Reds are finally back to a design they had in the early 2000’s.. albeit an improved and more professional one.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Incredibly 8 years after the ARU disassembled all the states academy programs in favour of a centralised system, it seems the Reds are finally back to a design they had in the early 2000’s.. albeit an improved and more professional one.
Still somewhat centralised though.

RA have made an effort for each of the state’s academies to be similar in structure and what is being implemented as core skills and terminology. They seem to be now directed towards development and possible selection for Australian U18’s and U20’s , rather than just developing players for the Reds .

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Absolutely some form of centralisation is beneficial, however disempowering the states to the extent they did and taking away their vested interest in the academy design was too far in the wrong direction. I think they are pretty close to the right form of balance at the moment, however the evidence will be in the next 3-4 years as to whether thats true or not.

Reactions: TSR

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)

Was Chapman the fairly tall halfback for Brisbane City in the NRC? He looked very good if it is, good to see guys like that getting the opportunity.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
I really hope so.

Couldn't agree more. Looks like the work he has done with the Reds is paying dividends, especially the way Hegarty goes about his goalkicking. I know he has missed a few (ie. v the Waratahs and for Brisbane City v Force in the NRC) but it's great to see an Australian placing the ball upright on the tee like he does. Matt Burke is massive on that and says it kills him to see so many Australians angling the ball on the tee like Foley.

B

Bobby Sands

I wasn't sure where to put this by Johnny Dyer got MOM against the barbarians. How this bloke isn't signed is unexplainable, but hopefully not for long.

He got about 10 individual turnovers in a match against QLD country, and scored a great individual try to boot.

I would say he is better than most contracted loose forwards certainly in this country, but also abroad. Genuine gun - who else is over in Fiji playing park football? Crazy rugby island.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
B

Bobby Sands

I missed that. That’s huge news. Well done all involved.

I stumbled upon watching footage of Broncos contracted player Reece Walsh (gee he can play).

Gee the Gold Coast would have to be close to the best footy area in the country.

Tss / PBC / Keebra park produce nrl / super rugby players by the handful every single year. Clockwork.