• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oz rugby has proven recently that we have an inability to develop these young talented 10s into super/intl standard playmakers. Grab one of these intl standard 10s and let them pass on knowledge and experience they have gathered over a lengthy career. Certainly can't hurt. No idea who they could actually get as it was my answer to a hypothetical question.

I question whether a lot of the recent 10s we've fielded at the Under 20 RWC are really international standard. 2019 was the first year in a fair while that we've had more than a couple of players that were in the top tier of players.

I don't think anyone could have watched the years where we had Jack Debreczeni, Luke Burton, Andrew Deegan, Mack Mason and Hamish Stewart playing 10 and thought they were destined to be world class players when compared to some of the 10s also playing in the competition.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I question whether a lot of the recent 10s we've fielded at the Under 20 RWC are really international standard. 2019 was the first year in a fair while that we've had more than a couple of players that were in the top tier of players.

I don't think anyone could have watched the years where we had Jack Debreczeni, Luke Burton, Andrew Deegan, Mack Mason and Hamish Stewart playing 10 and thought they were destined to be world class players when compared to some of the 10s also playing in the competition.

I agree as good intl level 10s but with decent coaching any of those guys should have developed into decent super level 10s. They have all shown that they have the ability(havent seen much of burton o will admit) however struggle with consistency. Skill development, game awareness/nous, sharing experience does all help with consistency in younger less experienced players.

We certainly should have gotten more from JD. I hope whatever systems Rennie puts in place helps guys like Deegan, Mason and Stewart reach their potential as I think they have much more than they are currently showing.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think that an average 10 can be overcome with a descent game plan. As long as he can kick.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
You’ll find Lucas will be the starting Flyhalf with Hegarty at Fullback, O’Connor at Inside Centre and Hamish at Utility Back to cover sub and injury. Petaia at Outside Back but wouldn’t mind seeing a bit a Fullback action. Halfway through the season I predict more changes if we are not securing top 6.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
A couple of questions for the Prem Rugby watchers -

- at what point, if any, does Carter Gordon come into the reckoning for a gig. Is he likely to be part of the match day squad by season end (without relying on injuries)

- is he our long term 10? In which case, would people on here prefer to see Lucas playing 15 this season, or are we happy to let them duke it out for positions?

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
A couple of questions for the Prem Rugby watchers -

- at what point, if any, does Carter Gordon come into the reckoning for a gig. Is he luckily to be part of the match day squad by season end (without relying on injuries)

- is he our long term 10? In which case, would people on here prefer to see Lucas playing 15 this season, or are we happy to let them duke it out for positions?

Saw him at training on Monday at PBC, he is looking alot bulkier than i remember during the NRC. Been hitting the gym hard. Looking forward to seeing what role he plays this season for the Reds. Maybe a game or 2 like Isaac Lucas last season.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Saw him at training on Monday at PBC, he is looking alot bulkier than i remember during the NRC. Been hitting the gym hard. Looking forward to seeing what role he plays this season for the Reds. Maybe a game or 2 like Isaac Lucas last season.
Saw him on Petaia’s Instagram and thought he looked like a forward. Not much between him and Jordy. How tall is Gordon? 6’3?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I’d like to see Gordon with another year in Prems and playing U20 Aus at a superior level. He’s 18. Not saying he’s not ready for a debut in 2020 but let’s do it right.
Other thing other than age with Carter is his run of injuries . He was still in with the rehab squad last Sat at RedHill and missed a fair chunk of the back end of this season.

Give him another season playing Prems / U20’s , no need to break him.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Reds media asked TV cameras to be turned off for the first portion of training when they nominated teams and completed walk-throughs.

This was the A team. Wallabies either on the sidelines with team rehab or absent entirely.

Another name to add to list of unofficial squad members: Ipswich Grammar scrumhalf Kalani Thomas. He's only on a development contract but coaches are frothing to get him involved in Super Rugby from 2021. Not bad for a bloke a month out of high school.

Also interesting: Filipo Daugunu and Ilaisa Droasese were first two wingers to replace Campbell and Speight.

1. Hoopert
2. BPA
3. Dave Feao
4. Blyth
5. Hockings
6. Salakaia-Loto
7. Wright
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. Lucas
11. Campbell
12. Stewart
13. Paisami
14. Speight
15. Hegarty

Missing in action today: Angus Scott-Young, Michael Wood, Jack Hardy, James O'Connor, JP Smith.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Other thing other than age with Carter is his run of injuries . He was still in with the rehab squad last Sat at RedHill and missed a fair chunk of the back end of this season.

Give him another season playing Prems / U20’s , no need to break him.
Agree. Same knee injury from a couple of years ago?

B

Bobby Sands

Reds media asked TV cameras to be turned off for the first portion of training when they nominated teams and completed walk-throughs.

This was the A team. Wallabies either on the sidelines with team rehab or absent entirely.

Another name to add to list of unofficial squad members: Ipswich Grammar scrumhalf Kalani Thomas. He's only on a development contract but coaches are frothing to get him involved in Super Rugby from 2021. Not bad for a bloke a month out of high school.

Also interesting: Filipo Daugunu and Ilaisa Droasese were first two wingers to replace Campbell and Speight.

1. Hoopert
2. BPA
3. Dave Feao
4. Blyth
5. Hockings
6. Salakaia-Loto
7. Wright
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. Lucas
11. Campbell
12. Stewart
13. Paisami
14. Speight
15. Hegarty

Missing in action today: Angus Scott-Young, Michael Wood, Jack Hardy, James O'Connor, JP Smith.

Kalani is super gifted, that’s great to hear.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

JP's mother unfortunately passed away earlier this week, so I would imagine the Reds have rightly given him some time to be with his family in such a horrible time.

Taniela looks to still be in Tongan having some much deserved R&R. Hopefully the big fella has been doing some beach runs so he doesn't come back to a world of pain!

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Nella was back, just started the session on the sidelines with the other returning Wallabies (bar Salakaia-Loto who was right in the thick of it)

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) graduated from uni yesterday which explains his absence

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Kalani is super gifted, that’s great to hear.

I saw IGS play live twice this year and Thomas seemed to be better when Walker wasn't on the field. It was almost like he was worried about getting into trouble for not just passing it to Walker. Has a good knack of finding the right runner when given multiple options (probably the best part of Genia's game).

Awesome work from the Reds getting kids in like that. Teaching them what they need to do to get to that level.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think that an average 10 can be overcome with a descent game plan. As long as he can kick.

Which is where someone like Stewart comes in. It is completely possible though it does lead to a game plan that is more "programmed" than having a 10 who can read the game and arrange the team around him to react to it.

You do what you have to do, I just hope that there is some thinking here which involves building better 10s as we go forward.

Mike Bishop

Peter Burge (5)
I saw IGS play live twice this year and Thomas seemed to be better when Walker wasn't on the field. It was almost like he was worried about getting into trouble for not just passing it to Walker. Has a good knack of finding the right runner when given multiple options (probably the best part of Genia's game).

Awesome work from the Reds getting kids in like that. Teaching them what they need to do to get to that level.

Does anyone know what club he is affiliated with?