• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
What about Chris Feauai-Sautia? Thoughts?

1. JP
2. Tupou
3. Feao
4. Rodda
5. Hockings
6. Salakaia-Loto
7. Wright
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Dangunu
12. CFS
13. Petaia
14. Speight
15. Hegarty

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
If everyone is fit I feel it more likely he’ll be bench cover for 11, 13 & 14 with Stewart covering 10, 12 & 15.

So, I’d reckon
9. Mcdermott
10. Lucas or Hegarty
11. Speight
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Petaia
14. Daugunu
15. Lucas or Hegarty

Bench - Malolua or Sorovi; Stewart; CFS

I would only see CFS in the starting line up if he wins a wing spot.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Yep agree , depends on who plays 10 .

If it’s Lucas/Hegarty then JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 and Stewart to the bench .

If JOC (James O'Connor) plays 10 , Stewart a good chance to start at 12.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Good to see some solid options this year with quality depth. Liking the thought of Lucas at Flyhalf but thought I would throw some experience in the backs. JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and Stewart at 12 would be a good combination.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I can see Stewart making a good fist at 12, but I am not so confident in JOC (James O'Connor) at 10. I’m sure he would be okay, but I think his skills are probably more suited at 12. But I guess we’ll see soon enough.

If they did go with that option I’d rather see them push Hegarty back to the bench and start Lucas at 15.

The Crab

Frank Row (1)
I really wish rugby union had what the NFL does and that’s the combine.

They bring in a bunch of prospects and test their measurables to see how they’d fair at next level.

There’s a lot of great young players coming thru but I don’t know how to compare them to a guy a couple years older.
If I could see how fast, how high, how strong a player is and then use that to gauge him with data from a player from a previous season I think we’d have a better understanding of what kind of trajectory we can expect from a player.[/quote

They actually do, the Waratahs development squad go through the same testing as the top squad. I assume that RA have access to this.

ruggy

Herbert Moran (7)
Just wanting to add to the CFS conversation - I've heard Thorns keen to give him a crack at #12 and #11 as the main crash option for the Reds.

I always liked him on the wing, it's a shame those hamstrings couldn't hold the power being put into them at a young age.

Daugunu, Speight, Petaia, CFS, JOC (James O'Connor).. we definitely have some X factor this year.

What about Chris Feauai-Sautia? Thoughts?

1. JP
2. Tupou
3. Feao
4. Rodda
5. Hockings
6. Salakaia-Loto
7. Wright
8. Wilson
9. McDermott
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. Dangunu
12. CFS
13. Petaia
14. Speight
15. Hegarty

B

Bobby Sands

Dave Feao, Dane Zander, Tuaina Tualima, Efi Ma'afu, Will Roach and Josh Flook were all guys training on the GC this week that I don't recall seeing on an official squad list.

Didn't spot any more on Monday but I'll be heading back out on Wednesday or Thursday and will keep an eye out for more

From the photos their is an enormous islander prop who I don’t know? Maybe a few more?

Does Feao have a full time contract?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
David Feao is training, not on a full time contract.
On social media they’re sharing videos of him squatting 300kg in the gym, even for a professional player that’s a monster weight to lift.

Fotuatika is still in rehab and likely to miss the start of season, so I think Feao will be in the squad as an injury replacement until Feao is back at least.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Feao is capped for Tonga (3 from 2018+)

Would be a very handy Scrummager for the Reds to call upon if the option was between him and the U20 developing guys like Nasser. But I'm thinking his foreign caps will prevent that.

2016–2017 - La Rochelle (16)​
2018 - Narbonne (11)​
2018–2019 Leicester (12)​

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/12/16/super-rugby-reds-thorn

Brad Thorn article - touching on the preseason training and he gave 3 bolters (names to watch)

I am going to guess by previous faith shown to other youngsters. these 3 names will see plenty of action over the course of the season.

Seru Uru - yeah probably, I reckon we'll see him.

Hunter Paisami - he has his limitations. He may get a gig from the bench through injury.

Dane Zander - this guy looks well off the pace. It will be a "use only in case of emergency" type of scenario with him. Down the track perhaps, but hopefully not in 2020.