• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
I did not envision Harry Wilson getting the starting gig on debut. Congrats

Whilst he is a marvellous young talent who was NRC player of the year I assumed he was going to have to earn his way into starting spot.

Bring on the baptism of fire. Go you young lads!

I understand where you are coming from. I do hope he plays well and does not get burned for his inexperience. He will have to overcome his reluctance to get involved at the ruck when first supporter as it is harder to get away with at this level and can be costly to the team.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As someone who watched Wilson play a lot in the u20s and NRC - he should be the first picked. If he made his Wallabies debut some time near the end of the year it wouldn't shock me.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Starting to stray from the thread subject but what standard of play is expected in the USA comp? NRC level?

They’ve cherry picked a few 1st grade players, a couple of should be retired internationals and now signing on some up and coming coaches. I assume they want to make a good crack at this.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Agree Adam

Thought initially, probably like a few, that Thorn was just taking a bit of heat off his young guns of Wilson , McReight and Lucas by mentioning the three he did.

Thorn did initially name Wilson and Lucas and then back-tracked. The question was along the lines of 'who are the new faces to be excited by' and Thorn reckoned those boys didn't really count because "everyone already knows them"

Uru, Zander and Paisami were his next cabs off the rank.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Uru, Zander, Paisami really impressed me and hope they really take their chances. Remember when Higgs got picked out of park footy for the Reds? Be nice to be thinking of these guys in a few years as we think of Higgs now.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I’m convinced Hegarty and Lucas should switch. Hegarty as an average fullback but a very good 10. Lucas will be very good wherever. I also think he’ll be dynamite running off / around JOC (James O'Connor) and Petaia and floating around looking for more of those a Wilson and co offloads.

Plus Gordon will be our 10 in the next couple of years. Let’s get Lucas comfortable at 15 now.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Super impressed with Wilson, Speight and O'Conner tonight. Tupou looks fitter than I've ever seen, scary for other teams.

Lucas was underwhelming but it's his first start at 10, I hope he grows into the role.

Paisami has lots of potential. I've like everything he's done in the last 2 weeks.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Glad we got the bonus point, this has been lacking for a while with the Reds, if we want to make the finals then we need to get a bonus point away from home, especially against a conference rival.

We have a tough start to the season, if we can win a game in SA/AG and get a bonus point in the other game then it forces the other teams in our conference to win two games in SA/ARG to keep up with us.

Impressed with the game tonight, on top of that I am glad I got a membership yesterday!

Really impressed with Lucas, he seems to have an old head on him, a couple of times he was under pressure and a young 10 would try a miracle ball but he held it and took the tackle.

Things are looking positive for the season, despite the result.

B

Bobby Sands

I’m convinced Hegarty and Lucas should switch. Hegarty as an average fullback but a very good 10. Lucas will be very good wherever. I also think he’ll be dynamite running off / around JOC (James O'Connor) and Petaia and floating around looking for more of those a Wilson and co offloads.

Plus Gordon will be our 10 in the next couple of years. Let’s get Lucas comfortable at 15 now.

100%

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think they need to give Lucas a bit more opportunity at 10, it was his first game starting as a fly-half in super rugby against an aggressive defence, he didn’t kill it but he maintained composure at least which is a strong sign. They just need to ease some of the play making burden off Lucas in the initial rounds by having Hegarty and JOC (James O'Connor) float into first receiver a bit more.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I agree, I think he should just look to be a link player for a few rounds to push the defensive pressure outside. Then when oppositions don't go as hard he can go himself.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
If we reflect back 2-3 years ago, Hamish Stewart was going to be our playmaker world beater. Don’t get me wrong I still think he has the goods and rugby IQ to create great things if the Reds find him a position for him in the starting team and leave him there to build momentum. IMO the Reds could have managed him differently and maybe like what the are doing with Carter Gordon. There will be a lot of push to fast track Gordon after last night’s performance from Lucas BUT I don’t want to find us in the same predicament as Stewart. In the NRC game against Vikings, the Gordon (10) and Stewart (12) combo looked good and at the time I thought we have our Reds playmakers locked in for 2020. The game control was the best I had seen at NRC level and Stewart run off Gordon’s crisp passing beautifully. But then, what do you do with JOC (James O'Connor)? You can’t leave him out of the starting team. Possible solution is to move JOC (James O'Connor) to flyhalf, bring in Stewart at 12, Petaia at 13, Lucas at 15. But then we have Hegarty warming to bench, and he’s too valuable a kicker not to have him on the park.

9 McDermott
10 Hegarty
11 Speight
12 JOC (James O'Connor)
13 Petaia
14 Filipo
15 Lucas
21 Scotty
22 Stewart (Gordon mid season)
23 Paisami

25 Jock Campbell.

If Lucas’ game doesn’t improve from last nights performance then Stewart and/or Gordon to move into the starting team with a reshuffle.

9 McDermott
10 Gordon
11 Speight
12 Stewart
13 JOC (James O'Connor)
14 Petaia
15 Hegarty
21 Scotty
22 Lucas
23 Filipo / Campbell

25 Paisami

Just depends on who is performing. I say ‘no rewards for a shit game’. You perform every game or you’re dropped.

EDIT. I probably wouldn’t have mentioned Gordon for 2020 at this stage but in the Liam Wright interview after the Waratahs trial, Liam mentioned that Gordon is coming back from injury which made me think that Gordon’s part of the 2020 plan.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
RR go back a couple of years further and the Reds were talking up Jake McIntyre as the next big thing at No 10. I'd really hate to be a prospective No 10 at the Reds based on the way Stewart and McIntyre were both discarded. After all the hype piled onto Lucas last year and in the U20s (where incidentally, he mostly played 15), we now have this call after one game starting at 10 for Lucas to be replaced by Hegarty or the next big thing, Gordon. I suspect Thorn will present a deaf ear to those calls.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Super impressed with the Reds performance, particularly given that they lost their starting hooker so early on.

Get the backline alignment right, a bit more patience building an attack, and they win. Harry Wilson looks the goods, for sure.