• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Finally caught up with the last weeks action including the debacle in Argentina. I will bite my tongue on that one.

The Sunwolves were dire but we are 1 from 1 @ Lang Park :)

Some combinations coming along nicely. Very nicely indeed.

And first glimpse of McReight for 2020 :D

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Exciting win, but against the likely wooden spooners.

I’m waiting for the Reds to grind out a win against a top half of the table team

Yep. I’m finding it hard not to get carried away, and as a Reds fan I think we deserve a bit of joy. Still need to be thinking about the look ahead.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
We have more developing 10s right now than we have ever had. It’s incredibly promising. They need game time, but most of all they need players like James to help them develop. It’s absolutely crazy the Waratahs haven’t recruited Sam Greene in my opinion.

Agree RE: Green. I suspect he is on a very good wicket up there though, more than Tahs would/ could offer him. Smart move by him would probably be to stay there and set himself up for life financially. Good luck to him. I would like to see him have a shot at a better level though

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Regarding Jock... he was earmarked very early by the coaches at UQ as having all the skill, work ethic and brains to play a very high level.

The backs and 7s coach at the time was Andrew Brown. Some may remember him. As a player he was exceptional but never got a proper go at a starting jersey with the reds due to a number of reasons and took the big pay cheque up in Japan for a number of years. Of all the talented guys who played at Uni he was the best I ever played with. An incredible rugby brain, skillful and one of the hardest working guys I've ever seen(famously went from colts 2/3 to 1st grade in an offseason). He is a great coach as well, has a good eye for talent. I remember him telling me to keep an eye on Jock when he was playing in reserve grade, maybe even 3rd grade. Said he would be a pro in a few years.

I think Jock has a high ceiling, the only concern for me is he doesn't seem to have exceptional top end speed which may hamper him eventually. What he has between his ears is his greatest asset. He will continue to grow this season, I hope they let him really settle into that 15 jersey.

B

Bobby Sands

Regarding Jock. he was earmarked very early by the coaches at UQ as having all the skill, work ethic and brains to play a very high level.

The backs and 7s coach at the time was Andrew Brown. Some may remember him. As a player he was exceptional but never got a proper go at a starting jersey with the reds due to a number of reasons and took the big pay cheque up in Japan for a number of years. Of all the talented guys who played at Uni he was the best I ever played with. An incredible rugby brain, skillful and one of the hardest working guys I've ever seen(famously went from colts 2/3 to 1st grade in an offseason). He is a great coach as well, has a good eye for talent. I remember him telling me to keep an eye on Jock when he was playing in reserve grade, maybe even 3rd grade. Said he would be a pro in a few years.

I think Jock has a high ceiling, the only concern for me is he doesn't seem to have exceptional top end speed which may hamper him eventually. What he has between his ears is his greatest asset. He will continue to grow this season, I hope they let him really settle into that 15 jersey.

Great yarn, thank you.

He looks good on a flank, but he looks electric at 15.

For what it’s worth don’t think speed will hold him back, would like to see him get a bit more powerful and really refine that kicking game.

He has all the instincts.

Woldog

Peter Burge (5)
Regarding Jock. he was earmarked very early by the coaches at UQ as having all the skill, work ethic and brains to play a very high level.

Andy Brown punctured his lung tackling Ma'a Nonu in 2007. He was a hell of a tackler.
Jock doesn't seem any slower than Chris Latham, Granted Chris Latham was fast at the time he played and the game has moved on from then (in the same way Ben Tune would get burnt by most wingers today) I think Jock can grow to be a phenomenal full back.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Andy Brown punctured his lung tackling Ma'a Nonu in 2007. He was a hell of a tackler.

Jock doesn't seem any slower than Chris Latham, Granted Chris Latham was fast at the time he played and the game has moved on from then (in the same way Ben Tune would get burnt by most wingers today) I think Jock can grow to be a phenomenal full back.

I highly doubt that mate unless most world wingers are running sub10s 100m.