• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is Newstead brewery even aligned with reds?

Pretty sure Brad Thorn coach shirt has a big XXXX logo on it now.

Nah, Newstead are out of the picture now. https://newsteadbrewing.com.au/20-nineteen-in-review/

This bit:

"For all the runs on the board for 2019, it was not without its challenges. We experienced first-hand the strong-arm tactics of the major breweries. For the last two years we were privileged to be the Official Craft Beer Sponsor of QLD Rugby. QLD Rugby have made the disappointing decision to discontinue our partnership for 2020, as they were offered an enormous increase in their support from Lion, to be the sole beverage partner. And fair dues to QLD Rugby, we are all aware of the state of Rugby in Australia, and I am personally very happy for anything that will boost the game in QLD, even to Newstead’s detriment. The experience did, however, solidify the reason I am so passionate about Newstead, where not every decision needs to be a commercial one."

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Great yarn, thank you.

He looks good on a flank, but he looks electric at 15.

For what it’s worth don’t think speed will hold him back, would like to see him get a bit more powerful and really refine that kicking game.

He has all the instincts.

Agreed 15 is the position I think he will really excel at.

I'll clarify my statement about his pace. He is quick and actually has very very good acceleration, I just think the extra few meters at top end pace would make his transition from super to intl a much more likely scenario.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Nah, Newstead are out of the picture now. https://newsteadbrewing.com.au/20-nineteen-in-review/

This bit:

"For all the runs on the board for 2019, it was not without its challenges. We experienced first-hand the strong-arm tactics of the major breweries. For the last two years we were privileged to be the Official Craft Beer Sponsor of QLD Rugby. QLD Rugby have made the disappointing decision to discontinue our partnership for 2020, as they were offered an enormous increase in their support from Lion, to be the sole beverage partner. And fair dues to QLD Rugby, we are all aware of the state of Rugby in Australia, and I am personally very happy for anything that will boost the game in QLD, even to Newstead’s detriment. The experience did, however, solidify the reason I am so passionate about Newstead, where not every decision needs to be a commercial one."

One of the owners of Newstead is an avid rugby supporter. Absolutely loved the Reds and Wallabies. I know how happy he was when they got the sponsorship for QPR, it will have broken his heart not being able to provide sponsorship in 2020 but reckon he will be stoked that his company has been able to drive a significantly better deal for QRU from Lion. I'll still be showing support for their company by heading there before and after any suncorp games I get to.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
One of the owners of Newstead is an avid rugby supporter. Absolutely loved the Reds and Wallabies. I know how happy he was when they got the sponsorship for QPR, it will have broken his heart not being able to provide sponsorship in 2020 but reckon he will be stoked that his company has been able to drive a significantly better deal for QRU from Lion. I'll still be showing support for their company by heading there before and after any suncorp games I get to.

Hopefully they'll still be involved with the Hospital Cup.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
SANZAAR said:
The Round 7 Sunwolves versus Crusaders match will now be played on Saturday 14 March prior to the Reds versus Bulls match at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, kick-off TBC.

You would assume it is going to be 2.45pm as the Blues are hosting the Lions in the 5pm NZ game.

I guess they may try and get the Blues to shift their game to a 4:45pm local time kickoff so they can play a genuine double-header at Suncorp.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I wonder if the the Sunwolves just forgoing all match day revenue, or are the QRU paying them a fee?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if the the Sunwolves just forgoing all match day revenue, or are the QRU paying them a fee?

You would think the Sunwolves would either recover money through insurance or directly from the Japanese government who have forced the cancellation of sporting events etc.

Hard to work out what sort of fee the QRU might pay. The gate takings will be higher because the early game will bring out some punters keen to see the Crusaders in particular (mostly local Kiwis I'd guess).

If there's a couple of hours between matches I doubt it will provide a big boost to the overall crowd for the Reds game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, can't see the QRU (or the NSWRU/ACTRU/RA for the other game) paying the sunwolves a fee. Anything they get will be out of insurance, either that they've taken or that SANZAAR has. QRU might get a bit of a bonus in terms of a boost to ticket sales, but the big winner is probably Suncorp and the Caxton st precinct - you'd have to think an extra game and a likely 2 hour break in between on a Saturday will see a lot more food and beer sold. Particularly given the crusaders are capable of drawing a decent crowd in Brisbane.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Some could argue the Sunwolves ought to be paying the QRU given they are providing facilities etc.

But regardless I think it'll make a massive difference to the crowed, the Crusaders are one of the most popular Super Rugby teams in Brisbane. The last time I remember a Brisbane Crusaders game they got something like 22k. So it'll be a good game.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Some could argue the Sunwolves ought to be paying the QRU given they are providing facilities etc.

But regardless I think it'll make a massive difference to the crowed, the Crusaders are one of the most popular Super Rugby teams in Brisbane. The last time I remember a Brisbane Crusaders game they got something like 22k. So it'll be a good game.

Yep, aside from having another Aussie team playing, this is probably best result for a double header. Sunwolves should have a number of QLD based players in the side (Schatz, Horan, Stolberg and Maafu) and the Crusaders are a well supported team wherever they go and play a good brand of footy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QRU aren't providing facilities. Suncorp Stadium is.

There will be additional costs of opening the facility perhaps 3 hours earlier. More staff needed (factoring breaks etc). There might be a profit sharing arrangement, or an agreement to cover costs or provide some hospitality.

There won't be a fee paid to QRU I'd imagine, unless it's purely to cover additional venue fees.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You would think the Sunwolves would either recover money through insurance or directly from the Japanese government who have forced the cancellation of sporting events etc.

Hard to work out what sort of fee the QRU might pay. The gate takings will be higher because the early game will bring out some punters keen to see the Crusaders in particular (mostly local Kiwis I'd guess).

If there's a couple of hours between matches I doubt it will provide a big boost to the overall crowd for the Reds game.

Even if the bump in the crowd is only small, an extra 90mins of beer drinking and food purchases will be worth quite a bit.

But yeah, I imagine the cost of forgone revenue is probably covered by the insurance or compensation from the Japanese Government.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Talk of the Reds asking SANZAAR if the games can be run back-to-back but probably needs approval from NZ for Blues v Lions game at 5pm AEDT.