• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Latest CM media on all this states that Rodda wants to go to the Brumbies and is in active discussions with them.

So you would think that new contract would be on same terms as current including the COVID pay reduction. If so, the reason given on Monday not to commence training with team would be a sham. Did the other two players get sucked into this by their agent because they were expendable?

I also think that since Monday, the manager must have found little overseas interest if recommending Brumbies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
So you would think that new contract would be on same terms as current including the COVID pay reduction. If so, the reason given on Monday not to commence training with team would be a sham. Did the other two players get sucked into this by their agent because they were expendable?

I also think that since Monday, the manager must have found little overseas interest if recommending Brumbies.

Perhaps Rodda's sole motivation was/is to exit the Reds.

It's notable that so many posters here instantly blame these 3 'rebels' and Picone (whom btw had others of his player clients sign up to the RUPA cuts) vs at least considering the possibility that the QRU's long, utterly well-demonstrated history of serious managerial incompetence may have had something to do with it, or the way it has been handled.

I mean, since the appointment of Link and his then coaching group in 2009-10, a decade+ ago, what precisely has the QRU done well that has led to measurably good results against any sensible KPI by which a State RU should be judged? The QRU's actual track record in all player and team-related matters should give rise to the highest degree of scepticism regarding any 'drama' associated with their conduct.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I not sure what the problem is, but didn't Rodda just resign recently, after being under Thorn and the current QRU for a few years? Looks like not making captain is sitting high on his reasons, or has Thorn turned into a bad coach this year?
Same with Lucas, something tells me these 2 have decided that they are either not as good as they thought they were in terms of captaincy in one case and player in another and so they will go where things are to their liking, and Hoskings I don't know, just seems to be some not great advice being chucked around!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I mean, that's possible and all. But Rodda signed a new contract 8 months ago and Lucas was given a 4 year contract last year too. Thorn was the coach back then as well...

Because relationships don't change over time. They were happy to sign last year, things have changed now and they no longer want to be there.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Not sure what the go is with Hockings especially after he came through with Thorn in U20 and QLD Country etc

But I do believe it is a feeling of disrespect or feeling undervalued in Rodda's case with what happened and what went down, and in Lucas's case, I reckon the writing was already on the wall in how / where he would be used and especially with how trigger happy the Reds have been with their play makers over the last few years under Thorn. If you take a view over a 1 to 2 season window the 10/12 intention is Gordon / O'Connor . Interesting to note that Gordon was represented by Picone and perhaps still is. Given his more proto-typical size ( a rangy Steve Larkham type ) his defense and most importantly his kicking game which has been a major impediment to the Reds being able to command field position and get them in position to win well over the last couple of seasons......I don't see where there was any real room for him in the midfield by next season anyway. Hegarty is a vet tie over , and ultimately , 15 needs to be addressed with some stop gap options there and in back up in the midfield (Hegarty as I just said and also Stewart)

Sure they signed him out to 2023 just 6 months ago and of course he was in their plans but were their plans and his / his agent's plans in the same accord ? Sorry ...I could never see him beyond being an occasional short term / rotational 15 and most likely a bench utility

I'm surprised no one has yet referenced the likely forward position with Gordon

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
QC (Quade Cooper) - Was not wanted by the current coaching team due to his style of rugby not being what they were trying to play. Was told that he wasn't going to be picked and understandably still wanted his high paying contract to be honoured.
Gill - Was third string at the Wallabies No. 7 and went O/S for cash.
Slipper - Sacked after his second cocaine result
Kerevi - Chasing the Japanese big bucks
Smith - Unsure what happened there
Rodda - Upset he wasn't made captain
Lucas - ?
Hockings - ?

They also told Quade he, in their eyes, was the no.5 Flyhalf at their disposal. So 2 guys in the team they considered better, and 2 guys out in club land.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
So would it not be outrageous then to present the idea that there is a certain "type" of person that they are looking for and to the extent your character is not in accord with the "type" then you are outside the "Jack Burns Circle of Trust"

When the Slipper thing went down I remember reading in an article that :

- In the early 2000's he became close / affiliated with a player on the Broncos who was a born again and had a profound influence on him

- There was also tension in his own family re : his hard line / not open for negotiation position with an in law who had some issues.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Funny, after reading this and commenting earlier was back reading news on rugby and 2 things sprung out at me that I wonder if maybe these fellas may think on.
For Rodda. https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...is-experience-in-when-it-comes-time-to-battle,
and for the others if they were thinking on the money. https://www.planetrugby.com/worlds-best-pieter-steph-du-toit-commits-to-the-stormers/
See how real quality rugby players react. I think Du Toit is certainly one of the best players in the world at moment, and I think Whitelock not far off. Perhaps a lesson in the learning?

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Funny, after reading this and commenting earlier was back reading news on rugby and 2 things sprung out at me that I wonder if maybe these fellas may think on.
For Rodda. https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...is-experience-in-when-it-comes-time-to-battle,
and for the others if they were thinking on the money. https://www.planetrugby.com/worlds-best-pieter-steph-du-toit-commits-to-the-stormers/
See how real quality rugby players react. I think Du Toit is certainly one of the best players in the world at moment, and I think Whitelock not far off. Perhaps a lesson in the learning?
Spot on. Quality rugby players have the skill but it is more so how they manage their thought process and deliver their actions. That’s the difference between mediocre and great.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hockings - not in matchday 23/reserve at best at the moment, offer tabled reflected current worth more than potential. Wasn't happy with the long term deal on offer.
Lucas - Chasing game time. Thinks he should be starting.

Wild speculation.

Bit given Adam's post above - sounds like we had to lose lock or two anyway. Can't have 5 promising/already solid locks on 4 year contracts. Hopefully LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is happy being a lock so that Wright, McReight, Wilson all get plenty of game time.

Hockings was starting lock in the last game - a 40 point win over the Bulls.

In form he's in the 15.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
15 Jock Campbell
14 Filipo Daugunu
13 Jordan Petaia
12 Hamish Stewart
11 Henry Speight
10 James O'Connor
9 Tate McDermott
8 Harry Wilson
7 Fraser McReight
6 Liam Wright [c]
5 Lukhan Salakai-Loto
4 Angus Blyth
3 Taniela Tupou
2 Alex Mafi
1 JP Smith

16 Brandon Paenga-Amosa
17 Dane Zander
18 Feao Fotuaika
19 Michael Wood
20 Angus Scott-Young
21 Scot Maloula
22 Bryce Hegarty
23 Chris Feauai-Sautia

We need a new apprentice 10 in a hurry. Anyone come to mind?