• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Forgot bout LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto). I was more thinking if Blyth or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) got injured or tired or whateva, would we be a bit light/short for a starting professional team.

ANYWAY- I'd like to see Wood play, reminds me of the sort of mongrel Swinton is showing at the Tahs.

Agree, Wood was one of the harder men in the pack for the U20s, along with Wilson. McReight was just sheer class. Best of the locks was Trevor Hosea, but Wood had it over him for ball carrying ability.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
you'd have to think that the Reds will be looking to re-secure some of our former QLDers in Canberra.

Darcy Swain at 2m would be #1 but I'd suggest he is unlikely (although he struggled to get a starting jersey recently)
Callum MacDonald at 2.04m
Zeph Tuinona as well (not sure how tall he is but I'm guessing he's high 190s at least?)

Smith, Fewtrell and Blyth the, as mentioned, local candidates

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
you'd have to think that the Reds will be looking to re-secure some of our former QLDers in Canberra.

Darcy Swain at 2m would be #1 but I'd suggest he is unlikely (although he struggled to get a starting jersey recently)
Callum MacDonald at 2.04m
Zeph Tuinona as well (not sure how tall he is but I'm guessing he's high 190s at least?)

Smith, Fewtrell and Blyth the, as mentioned, local candidates

Zeph will be eligble for Aus U20 in 2021, do you know if Callum will be also? Or did he miss his chance in 2020?

Wondering if Swain would come here to be potentially the 3rd lock, but I suppose it's a wait and see game to see if Douglas, Enever and Neville resign at the Brumbies/ if they also get Rodda, all of which would make Swains life just that bit more difficult to stand out.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
He seems to have dropped of the radar. I always though he had potential but from memory a couple of injuries. Is he in contention for a development contract?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
What ever happened to Tom Van der Schyff? He must be around the 2ft?

EDIT: 2m

Still an academy member, was selected in the u20 57 man squad for Oceania Champs - a precursor to World Champs I think?

locks included (might be missing some):
Tahs: Max Williams & Jeremy Douglas
Force: Jackson Pugh (only 194cm)
Brumbies: Callum Mcdonald & Zeph (tho played U18 @ 6) Tom Hooper also played 6 for Brumby runners
Reds: Tom VDS (also plays 6), Fred fewtrell

So still definitely in the mix for a Reds spot in the future as a home grown option either as lock or flank- though tbh not sure of his standing at a national level for his 'cohort'. Hopefully young enough to be U20 eligible in 2021 but I'm not sure.

Would have been tough being an 18 or 19 year old deciding to stay (Callum, Zeph) in the academy, along with Fewtrell and Tom VDS, when the 4 locks in the pro side are all young (Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hockings Blyth). Tough to see a way forward for opportunities.

More opportunity now!

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Still an academy member, was selected in the u20 57 man squad for Oceania Champs - a precursor to World Champs I think?

Brumbies: Callum Mcdonald & Zeph (tho played U18 @ 6) Tom Hooper also played 6 for Brumby runners

So still definitely in the mix for a Reds spot in the future as a home grown option either as lock or flank- though tbh not sure of his standing at a national level for his 'cohort'. Hopefully young enough to be U20 eligible in 2021 but I'm not sure.

Would have been tough being an 18 or 19 year old deciding to stay (Callum, Zeph) in the academy, along with Fewtrell and Tom VDS, when the 4 locks in the pro side are all young (Rodda, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Hockings Blyth). Tough to see a way forward for opportunities.

More opportunity now!
Max Williams and Jeremy Douglas?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Will Chaffey also back on the scene after a year off to get his shoulder right. Keen to see how he goes this year .

Another young lock that could make the step up is Hugh Bokenham from last year’s Aussie U18’s team , he and Tom Hooper were two of the best on the field in the NZ game .

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

More opportunity now!
Isn't Nick Frost at the Brumbies as well? How long is his contract? If you guys are in need of height he has that in spades.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Isn't Nick Frost at the Brumbies as well? How long is his contract? If you guys are in need of height he has that in spades.

You keep your dirty mits off him - Swain and Frost are our next long term locking combo, we poached Frost back from NZ fair and square.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I’m amazed literally no one is throwing Connor Vest’s name into the mix

I mentioned him when the story first broke ....but there is a lot of no name “potentials” in this list who haven’t done dick except be tall (most of whom are scrubs imo )

Vest , is ex Sydney Rays , now at UQ and my tip is will light it up in this abbreviated Prems season when it gets underway

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I mentioned him when the story first broke ..but there is a lot of no name “potentials” in this list who haven’t done dick except be tall (most of whom are scrubs imo )

Vest , is ex Sydney Rays , now at UQ and my tip is will light it up in this abbreviated Prems season when it gets underway

you're amazed no one has mentioned a 195cm club rugby journeyman?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
you're amazed no one has mentioned a 195cm club rugby journeyman?
More amazed you threw Zeph Tuinona’s name into the mix to be honest when you don’t even know how tall he is and guessed his height at mid 190’s and marginalised a guy in your reply that was played several seasons of NRC and cut his teeth through the Shute Shield underneath that and and is now 25.

Sort of underscores the issue with how the Club Scene and alternate pathways are de-valued in preference to pathway sperm

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
More amazed you threw Zeph Tuinona’s name into the mix to be honest when you don’t even know how tall he is and guessed him NBC at mid 190’s

what height would you say he was?

I couldn't find his height online. VEst's was easy. I don't tend to spend much time remembering player's heights. you do?

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

We've got plenty of guys around the 190-197cm mark in the backrow, no need to have a smaller lock, otherwise we run the risk of turning our forward pack into mirroring the Waratahs.