• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Vest was always a strong performer in a pretty successful Norths side over the past few Shute Shield seasons but I wouldn’t go much further than that. The Tahs second row stocks have been pretty bare for a while and Vest could never force his way in so I find it hard to believe he rates as a top option for the Reds.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Taine Rori would be worth a look at too. Was outstanding for Aussie BarBars last year and is an absolute athlete. Played a lot of basketball so has great lineout skills. Not sure what the lock stocks are like at Wests but he'll be one for the future.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I know we've named about 50 now but Matt Wilshere has returned from the wilderness and is at Norths this year. 2016 Australian Schoolboy who signed for the Crusaders and was over there for at least 2017/2018. Possibly had an injury last year not sure? Will be interesting if he's come along too

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
what height would you say he was?

I couldn't find his height online. VEst's was easy. I don't tend to spend much time remembering player's heights. you do?

As to your first question I wouldn’t say because I don’t know but from seeing him come through up here I never rated him and considered him significantly over rated and under performed .

As your 2nd question .....no , not my thing . But neither is running the yap with lack of fact.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Vest was always a strong performer in a pretty successful Norths side over the past few Shute Shield seasons but I wouldn’t go much further than that. The Tahs second row stocks have been pretty bare for a while and Vest could never force his way in so I find it hard to believe he rates as a top option for the Reds.
This is true . And clearly he isn’t a front running option for the Reds at the moment but compared to some of the names being thrown around in possible candidacy I’m not sure why

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Since we're just throwing names onto the board. Skeleton was reported to have sign with a French club but in the start of March, but nothing official appears to be shown.

With RA being keen on bringing him back, could we not use Rodda's salary + a RA top up to match his wage demands?

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
^ we also had no shortage of height out on the field in the games played this year, but at times our lineout was appalling.

We need a functioning lineout , not predetermined height requirement.

Exactly. i wonder how many lineouts (defence or offence) are lost by a few cm's.
timing, timing, timing. In schoolboy days, our two second rowers threw up our tiny 7. wasn't the tallest combo - but it was bloody quick.

B

Bobby Sands

What about that Brothers lock we had with us in preseason? No Smith...

He played Australian schoolboys from State High, and is about 23-24.

Update: His name is Tualima, and he is about 193cm.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Exactly. i wonder how many lineouts (defence or offence) are lost by a few cm's.
timing, timing, timing. In schoolboy days, our two second rowers threw up our tiny 7. wasn't the tallest combo - but it was bloody quick.

Jake Schatz was the most effective lineout jumper in Super rugby a few years ago. Won a load of ball at 2 based on his jump speed.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I take the point that our lineout was misfiring despite having good height, but think we have to be a bit careful comparing what works at lower level to what works at Super Rugby level.

Height is by no means the be all and end all, but you can’t afford to give too much of it away.

Reactions: dru
B

Bobby Sands

I'm sure I read this at the time, but just re-saw it now - Bailey Tautau from Nudgee signed to the Crusaders. Could be a bit of a loss that!

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I take the point that our lineout was misfiring despite having good height, but think we have to be a bit careful comparing what works at lower level to what works at Super Rugby level.

Height is by no means the be all and end all, but you can’t afford to give too much of it away.

Don't get me wrong - i'm not suggesting we start throwing Tate up at 2!

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
What’s the go with Dave Alred still on the books and not Pete Ryan? Have a look at the Reds Insta page. You would think that Pete would bring more benefit working with the whole team instead of Alred working with what looks like 4 kickers- JOC (James O'Connor), Hegarty, Gordon and Campbell.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Wayne Smith reporting Rodda could do a u-turn

It is understood that Lucas and Hockings have signed letters of intent with Japanese clubs

Fuck I'd be keen to know when those letters were signed. Seems like the Kerevi situation all over again with the way this agent conducts business.

If there is one single factor in Rodda’s rumoured change of heart, it might well have been that interview Thorn did with Triple M. Even though Rugby Australia had just declared Rodda a free agent and effectively cut him loose, it would have hit home to Rodda that Thorn still cared about him as a person.

Makes sense. If you have a listen to Eddie Jones on the Ruckus podcast, he mentioned the need for todays managers to be more of a 'people' manager i.e. throwing an arm around their shoulders and help them through the problem rather than yell and berate them to do better.