• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2020

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm not sure that's really true either.

None of these young players having success has come as a surprise. Most have been pretty well known before they became associated with the Reds.

I guess this is a big sign of how much the pathways have improved. The right players are being identified pretty early on and they're being nursed through the system into professional ranks.

Zander and Campbell have both been huge successes from outside the traditional pathway system during Thorn's time.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Zander and Campbell have both been huge successes from outside the traditional pathway system during Thorn's time.

And don’t forget Daugunu.

I actually had private concerns how he would transition to NRC (the speed) and then super rugby (the size) and every tier he climbed he continued to look like the best athlete on the park.

I will not have those same concerns when he hits international rugby simply because of the footprint he has left on super rugby. I know he’s going to be the prospect that keeps the all blacks coaching staff awake at night.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
Carter was the golden boy of the Qld pathways right through to being brought into the senior squad in only his first year out of school.

Was given first crack at 10 over another up and coming talent in Pasitoa in both U16 Reds and Qld Schools and was training with the senior squad straight out of school.

To say he was treated poorly or undervalued is a bit rich .

Who in their right mind would promise a 18/19 year old a starting spot?

A chance to earn it maybe and think he has been given that.

Another year or two in the system and he may well have seen it come his way, particularly with Lucas leaving the way he did.

Hopefully the Reds have another crack at Pasitoa, he looks Super Rugby ready.
Pasitoa, Kenuzle, Lolesio and Gordon are all with Piccone and I hear the Reds will not be contacting any Piccone players. I’d be looking at Ben Donaldson from the Waratahs. It seems Will Harrison is the preferred flyhalf so Donaldson might want an opportunity elsewhere. It would be interesting to know if Gordon’s younger brother is with Piccone. I watched him play flyhalf against TSS and Nudgee this year and he is at a level above.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
ha. Yes. Jimmy-Couch has nailed this in one message.

Hegarty provides more versatility than Gordon so makes much more sense as a bench player. If that's the real reason Gordon left then good riddance.

As for Thorn's struggle to keep young talent thats pretty much the one thing most people agree he's done very well.
It would be good to know the real reason behind his decision to leave. His family have remained silent on this but have also praised Thorn and the Reds over the years. I also believe they are tight with Cordingley. This Piccone is a pest.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It would be good to know the real reason behind his decision to leave. His family have remained silent on this but have also praised Thorn and the Reds over the years. I also believe they are tight with Cordingley. This Piccone is a pest.

Could it be as simple as he was offered more money and a starting position in Melbourne? Sounds like a good deal for me. Can always return to QLD, he's a young lad.

The not dealing with Piccone is interesting. I like it but could be dangerous depending on how many he has. Clearly the bloke is good at his job despite his douchebaggery.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Something that Thorn has done this season is create a vibe that is very much Queensland centric, not just Reds as a brand. I think that will pay dividends in terms of player retention and is evident by addressing Queenslanders in his latest post and not just ‘reds fans’.

A lot of these young guys who have come through the system and played in the NRC teams together seem to have a real sense of pride in the red coloured jersey. Thorny of course was part of a few great Qld SOO teams and no doubt instilled that type of passion into the guys.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Is Thorn rated much in Aus?

I noticed Jim McKay returned as an assistant coach at the Reds last year.

Could you pin the Red's recent resurgence down to his presence?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Thorn is definitely a leader of people. As a coach I think he's just taken the P plates off but I can see greatness in him.

McKay is a deadset legend as a coach. He designs a game plan around the players skillset which isn't as common as it should be. Sometimes even national coaches can't seem to get their head around that.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think he's a similar style of coach as Cheika except he's more humble and will actually adapt, but he's a leader who knows how to win. In terms of head coaching potential he's one of those guys who is a multiplier for his assistant coaches, where he doesn't add too much himself but the better his assistants are the better he can be.
But he's a good player development coach, just maybe lacks some of the technical knowledge & skills, but he's pretty young in coaching world so I'm sure he'll develop some of those.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I don't necessarily agree with the idea that Thorn is lacking technical ability as a coach and is more of a headmaster type bloke with his assistants doing the heavy lifting.

He has likely the largest pool of knowledge to pull from then probably any player in the modern era. He has played under some of the greatest coaches in both rugby and rugby league and achieved top accolades in each sport, playing alongside some of the best ever to play each game.

I daresay he's picked up more hints and tricks simply from being a fly on the wall in team meetings than most up and coming coaches ever will.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Thorn is definitely a leader of people. As a coach I think he's just taken the P plates off but I can see greatness in him.

McKay is a deadset legend as a coach. He designs a game plan around the players skillset which isn't as common as it should be. Sometimes even national coaches can't seem to get their head around that.

It was pretty farcical how they unceremoniously dumped McKay as backs coach yet retained forwards coach Andrew Blades after Link resigned. The Wallabies attack looked really good during that period.

Unfortunately, were quite unlucky to lose a few close games under Link but you scored a lot of points and I remember the structures there (with regards to the attack) were quite impressive during that period. and compared to what followed..

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm starting to reminisce of the Link era Wallabies again. It was such a crying shame that he resigned when he did. He just needed more time. The direction he was taking the team was looking very promising, fast-paced, fluid attacking rugby and tactically smart - In contrast to the one-dimensional crashn'bash League game-plan under Cheika.

I still remember that Dublin test in 2013. If it wasn't for the red card and amount of penalties conceded it would've been a complete team performance. Players were running angles, supporting the ball carrier, popping and offloading. Started to play like a team. Those aspects of play ended up falling apart later on in Cheika's stint.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The 2013 EOYT was one of my favourites memories as a Wallabies fan. We should've won that England match (there were 2 bullshit England tries IIRC, Brown stepped out and Farrell scored from obstruction??) and done a grand slam. Link had the team clicking and Quade was in rare form. I don't recall a red card in Dublin 2013.

Shame he never really pushed on in 2014, the French series was good but the TRC was an absolute disaster.

Anyway know what Link is up to atm?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm starting to reminisce of the Link era Wallabies again. It was such a crying shame that he resigned when he did. He just needed more time. The direction he was taking the team was looking very promising, fast-paced, fluid attacking rugby and tactically smart - In contrast to the one-dimensional crashn'bash League game-plan under Cheika.

I still remember that Dublin test in 2013. If it wasn't for the red card and amount of penalties conceded it would've been a complete team performance. Players were running angles, supporting the ball carrier, popping and offloading. Started to play like a team. Those aspects of play ended up falling apart later on in Cheika's stint.
Unfortunately not all in the set up saw it the same way.

A mini player revolt after attempting to discipline someone who shalt not be disciplined and an apparent “away” game of his own and it was all over .

I still haven’t quite put that to bed yet, loved what Link did with the Reds and felt it would have built into something special with the Wallabies , but not to be .

The player revolt posse liked the next coach......and the rest is history.