• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
You seem to have the inside scoop. What’s happening with contract renewals with the players off contract this year?
Scott Maloula
Moses Sorovi
JP Smith
Sean Farrell
Tom Kibble
Josh Nasser
Michael Wood
David Feao
Tuaina Taii Tualima
Jack Hardy
Chris Feauai-Sautia
Would welcome Wood to the Rebels, he was terrific at u20 level. Him and Hosea had a very good combo. Would be very surprised if the Reds let him go

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Would welcome Wood to the Rebels, he was terrific at u20 level. Him and Hosea had a very good combo. Would be very surprised if the Reds let him go
Problem is that he is seen more as a 6 , doesn’t really have the height for the row at Super level.

The Reds have a pretty stacked backrow.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
You seem to have the inside scoop. What’s happening with contract renewals with the players off contract this year?
Scott Maloula
Moses Sorovi
JP Smith
Sean Farrell
Tom Kibble
Josh Nasser
Michael Wood
David Feao
Tuaina Taii Tualima
Jack Hardy
Chris Feauai-Sautia

The Reds coaching group did almost everything possible not to play Sean Farrell this year. I cannot see him given another contract.

Then they seem to have decided Nasser is not going to cut it as a tight head prop and tried to turn him into a hooker to cover the “third” hooking spot in the squad. He will hardly get any minutes this year and would probably benefit from a full club season getting 16 or more full games to learn the new trade rather than the 30 or 40 minutes off the bench for the Reds across the season.

Kibble not having any game time coming off a season long shoulder injury and rehab will find it difficult with Will Roach knocking at the door.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
All Australian teams will also be trimming overall expenditure on players for 2021, given the Reds already had a large chunk of their core squad signed up for 2021 based on previous expectations of 'salary caps' for 2021, i expect they wont have much left to play with for players outside of the current matchday 23. Players will be on minimum contracts and not much more, retention is going to be extremely difficult.

B

Bobby Sands

The Reds coaching group did almost everything possible not to play Sean Farrell this year. I cannot see him given another contract.

Then they seem to have decided Nasser is not going to cut it as a tight head prop and tried to turn him into a hooker to cover the “third” hooking spot in the squad. He will hardly get any minutes this year and would probably benefit from a full club season getting 16 or more full games to learn the new trade rather than the 30 or 40 minutes off the bench for the Reds across the season.

Kibble not having any game time coming off a season long shoulder injury and rehab will find it difficult with Will Roach knocking at the door.

Was having a beer with someone inside the tent at Jeeps two weeks ago.

Kibble has had four different operations this year I believe, or thereabouts.

The original surgeon botched the first one.

Bit of a disaster for him if true.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
If I were to approach your list pragmatically;

Scott Maloula --> Likely won't be re-signed, not aus eligible
Moses Sorovi --> 50/50, talent and flair up to his eyeballs but hasn't improved the core skills part of his game that much in the years he's been with the Reds
JP Smith -> Ruan is back, would be weird to now not re-sign JP but with Zander and Hoopert is their room for another experienced player?
Sean Farrell --> If Nasser is now a hooker, then Farell (who's heaps talented) won't get a gig. Maybe the Rebels or Force would be a good sport for him
Tom Kibble -> Sounds like a terrible shoulder problem, hopefully the young man comes good but unlikely to be resigned
Josh Nasser -> Apparently now signed as 3rd hooker
Michael Wood -> How do you keep him? If you have Wright, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) who are all more likely to play 6. If he's a lock at Super Rugby level that may help him
David Feao -> Hasn't been seen, and if Ruan Smith is back then I don't see how he could be kept
Tuaina Taii Tualima -> Had some good moments, is probably competing for 1 contract with Wood and Ryan Smith
Jack Hardy -> Failed to impress (and I worry for his knee, I've seen him play live and he starts the game running gingerly)
Chris Feauai-Sautia -> When fit and happy is pretty damaging, will come down to what amount of money he would take to likely be competing with Daugunu and Vunivalu or wearing 23 alot

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Moses Sorovi --> 50/50, talent and flair up to his eyeballs but hasn't improved the core skills part of his game that much in the years he's been with the Reds
JP Smith -> Ruan is back, would be weird to now not re-sign JP but with Zander and Hoopert is their room for another experienced player?

Ruan is only back as injury cover this year, has signed for MLR next year.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Moses Sorovi --> 50/50, talent and flair up to his eyeballs but hasn't improved the core skills part of his game that much in the

Mixed information with Maloula - a lot of people seem to think the Reds will be keeping him as that ruling has been relaxed for next season.

Sorovi - Agree with your assessment but I don't see any QPR halfbacks, or veterans banging on the door to take his spot. You need a third halfback in the squad (possible 2nd if Malolua goes) so I don't think the Reds should be flicking him.

B

Bobby Sands

I have been negative on Sorovi, but he looked very good when the game was fast and loose last week.

B

Bobby Sands

Sean Farrell --> If Nasser is now a hooker, then Farell (who's heaps talented) won't get a gig. Maybe the Rebels or Force would be a good sport for him
Tom Kibble -> Sounds like a terrible shoulder problem, hopefully the young man comes good but unlikely to be resigned
Josh Nasser -> Apparently now signed as 3rd hooker
Michael Wood -> How do you keep him? If you have Wright, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) who are all more likely to play 6. If he's a lock at Super Rugby level that may help him
David Feao -> Hasn't been seen, and if Ruan Smith is back then I don't see how he could be kept
Tuaina Taii Tualima -> Had some good moments, is probably competing for 1 contract with Wood and Ryan Smith
Jack Hardy -> Failed to impress (and I worry for his knee, I've seen him play live and he starts the game running gingerly)
Chris Feauai-Sautia -> When fit and happy is pretty damaging, will come down to what amount of money he would take to likely be competing with Daugunu and Vunivalu or wearing 23 alot

Of these Sautia is an absolute no-brainer.

I would also be signing Wood and Hardy quick sticks.

The rest is a lottery.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Of these Sautia is an absolute no-brainer.

I would also be signing Wood and Hardy quick sticks.

The rest is a lottery.

I don’t see him in the starting 15, or even the best match day 23 for 2021 onwards.
Reds are going to have to slash players wages and players like CFS who won’t be offered as much as previously, there just isn’t the money.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is he though? I don’t see him in the starting 15, or even the best match day 23.
Reds are going to have to slash players wages, CFS is one of those who won’t be offered as much as previously, that’s the sad truth.

I think you absolutely hang on to him if you can, but I'd expect he'll be able to get more money than we can offer him elsewhere. I agree he's probably not in the best 23 for next year, but between injuries and suspension and load management I'd expect him to get a fair bit of game time anyway. There will also be a few questions over Vunivalu's transition to union, so I think it'd be ideal if we could get CFS on a one year extension to help ease that through. Won't be surprised if someone else picks him up though, he's good enough to be starting.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have been negative on Sorovi, but he looked very good when the game was fast and loose last week.

The bloke has played hardly any footy for a couple of years. Hard for guys to develop when that is the case.

I'm not suggesting that he should have played more games for the Reds but when he was going back to Wests he was getting less than half a game behind LD.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think you absolutely hang on to him if you can, but I'd expect he'll be able to get more money than we can offer him elsewhere. I agree he's probably not in the best 23 for next year, but between injuries and suspension and load management I'd expect him to get a fair bit of game time anyway. There will also be a few questions over Vunivalu's transition to union, so I think it'd be ideal if we could get CFS on a one year extension to help ease that through. Won't be surprised if someone else picks him up though, he's good enough to be starting.

that’s the problem, he is good enough to be starting and other teams will offer him as much, whereas I’m hearing the reds will only be able to offer minimum contracts for wider squad members in an attempt to cut spending. And as Reg pointed out, there’s young guns like Mac Grealy and Dion Samuela who they want to retain as well.

problem is, no one knows what the broadcast income for 2021 looks like, but they’re all expecting a significant reduction.