• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I have misgivings similar to Reg.

However I find it hard to believe Thorn would name O’Connor captain in less he was 100% committed in the short term.

Over the course of Thorn’s tenure at the Reds he’s made a number of decisions I’ve been uncomfortable with but, as far as I can tell, he’s got more of them right then wrong.

So I guess I’ll continue to keep the faith at this time.

In Thorn we trust.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think McReight is arguably a more dangerous / risky decision from a few directions too.
Naming McReight captain could put pressure on his playing & lead to a decrease in his play when for the Reds & for his Wallabies ambitions he should be singularly fixated on playing his best football as a ridgy-didge classic Aussie 7. Further, say McReight is an exceptional captain that creates an extremely awkward situation between McReight and Wright and perhaps or even likely the two might not be able to coexist on the same team, and you have a situation where you've gotta choose one of the two. Also McReight is a relatively unknown media entity (what I have seen has impressed me but it is a fairly small sample size) and he's not in the teams 'leadership group' for whatever that's worth.

I don't think anyone is doubting McReight's ability nor his leadership. Personally, I saw McReight captian a Brisbane City team and the difference to the team when he went off (injured) was clearly visible. I think McReight was & will be a better option at 7 than Hooper for the Wallabies, he's a better all-around fit as McReight can jump and can really get over the ball etc. But naming McReight the temporary captain just potentially makes a few things a bit awkward.

O'Connor on the other hand is a safe selection he's a known quantity he's been handling the media exceptionally well last year, he's in the leadership group and he's probably the best option for the Wallabies in at least two positions. As I had said, the unpleasantness with the Chiefs is unfortunate but a pretty minor black mark for a short term captain; he's here for the year and it's not like he could go anywhere mid-season even if he wanted to given COVID.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
You've gotta judge a guy by what they do, on and off the field. What was done in the past is in the past, and on what he's done these last 12 months, I don't think there is anyone more deserving.
He's playing bloody good fotty, he's easily in the Wallabes XV probably for as many as 3 diffrent possitions. He's been very consistent for the Reds, he will at times take the team by the scruff of the neck and drag them towards where they need to be. He's a smart footballer, makes good decisions and never places blame on others. Honestly, I don't think there is anyone better for the role. Long term captain, I'd be a little nervious due to the off season mess involving the Chiefs, but for the season I love the move.

I actually would love to see him captain the Wallabies (wouldn't that be a story!), I think it's pretty obvious Rennie needs to go a different direction, Hooper isn't giving us anything postive as our Wallabies Captain, so why not pick a JO'C to lead the team for a year or so to then have some time for Rennie to figgure out who his man is (because if he want's to win then Hooper it is not).

I think a captain should set an example, if you want young players to learn you can do what ever you want and all will be forgiven if you are talented enough then JOC (James O'Connor) is the man for the job.

I think the past is important and should be a determining factor

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Did much come out about the NZ thing?

Was he really prepared to take a massive pay cut and potentially be unavailable for the tests. Or would he have done a 1 season deal, then signed another deal back in Aus for 2 years after it so he was still eligible for wallaby selection.

Was it because being a starting 10 in NZ probably would have prepared him better as the Wallabies 10? Was it a spiritual awakening thing, an experience thing, a skill building thing, (obviously not a money thing) or is he not actually a huge reds fan/DNGAF?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Did much come out about the NZ thing?

Was he really prepared to take a massive pay cut and potentially be unavailable for the tests. Or would he have done a 1 season deal, then signed another deal back in Aus for 2 years after it so he was still eligible for wallaby selection.

Was it because being a starting 10 in NZ probably would have prepared him better as the Wallabies 10? Was it a spiritual awakening thing, an experience thing, a skill building thing, (obviously not a money thing) or is he not actually a huge reds fan/DNGAF?

Or was it a conspiracy started by the Kiwis:oops:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez fellas had some kind of a dilemma on weekend, after living in Qld for last 24 years and returning to Godzone ,the local council had a concert in park on Sunday, they said the Warratahs were playing :confused:, I obviously thought I better get out a Qld cap and prepare to go and boo the shit out of them.
Then I read it properly and saw it was WaRRatahs and not Waratahs so was able to calm down and go enjoy the music :D

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Geez fellas had some kind of a dilemma on weekend, after living in Qld for last 24 years and returning to Godzone ,the local council had a concert in park on Sunday, they said the Warratahs were playing :confused:, I obviously thought I better get out a Qld cap and prepare to go and boo the shit out of them.
Then I read it properly and saw it was WaRRatahs and not Waratahs so was able to calm down and go enjoy the music :D

Mate, if the WaRRatahs are as bad at playing music, as the Waratahs are at playing rugby, then you won't be getting much enjoyment.:(

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) has been in the job ONE day and we already have our gun signing gone for discipline issues:

Rugby Australia (RA) and the Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) are aware of an incident involving Suliasi Vunivalu on 30 January 2021.

Vunivalu has been charged with allegedly pushing a security guard at a licensed venue in Brisbane. The matter is ongoing before the court and will be reviewed by RA and QRU once it is resolved.

In the interim, the QRU have taken the immediate step to stand down Vunivalu for Friday’s match against NSW Waratahs for bringing the club and the game into disrepute. The QRU has also issued Vunivalu a formal written warning, a fine of $10,000 and the Club will provide Suliasi with counselling and support.

Rugby Australia and the Queensland Rugby Union takes its position within the community very seriously and aims to uphold the highest standards of behaviour at all times.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I wonder how many blokes have got into some tuff stuff with security guards over their time, got the boot from the venue and that's the end of it. Either there is more to the story or Vunivalu is unlucky to get this taken to court.

For the record I'm not condoning what is alleged to have happened, but in terms of things you can get in trouble for as a footy player, this ranks fairly low for me.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm happy he got a formal written warning. Good HR practice. If he fucks up again, he's gone and the Reds have hundreds of thousands to put somewhere else. Vunivalu will be great, but he isn't the Reds or Wallabies saviour imo.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
There has to be more to it than a simple push. As if the cops are going to bother to charge someone with such a trivial matter.

It's either on video and Vunivalu/the QRU will need to pay the bouncer like RA did for Kurtley, or the bouncer is taking the piss.

Reactions: TSR

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Mate, if the WaRRatahs are as bad at playing music, as the Waratahs are at playing rugby, then you won't be getting much enjoyment.:(

Mate I can assure you the extra R in the name must make all the difference;), and taking your name from a fnce standard instead of a tree must work!:p

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There has to be more to it than a simple push. As if the cops are going to bother to charge someone with such a trivial matter.

It's either on video and Vunivalu/the QRU will need to pay the bouncer like RA did for Kurtley, or the bouncer is taking the piss.

If it happened in the venue, then 99% sure it would be on camera, unless it happened in the dunnies. My guess is they have footage of a confrontation, security guard claiming damages because he falls down or something like that. Possibly knew who he was.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scott Johnson looks happy

EuUfDiXVkAI4mV1